Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dice roll with the option of exploding in both directions

Hi guys, I have a question concerning custom dice rolls for Rolld20. I have looked up the dice help and found its many options. The one that fits my needs best is the  'exploding' option, and that's fine for a beginning. But for me, that's only half the job. I'd need an option that the dice may also 'explode' downwards - and not only upwards as in the usual process. For example, if a '10' is rolled on a d10 the die explodes as per the given syntax (add a further d10 as long as another '10' is rolled). Now, if instead of a '10', a '1' is rolled on the initial roll, the next roll is subtracted from the previous total. If this extra roll happens to be another '10', a new roll is made and again subtracted. This is repeated until no further '10' is rolled (as in the normal 'upward' explosion). That way, the final result may explode in both directions (up and down) with the same probability. The initial roll only decides on the direction of the explosion (up- or downwards) and subsequently it is only important whether another '10' (or other maximum die result) is achieved on an additional roll. Some may know this principle from Rolemaster, where this is called an open-ended roll on a d100 where a result of 01-05 on the initial roll indicates the "downward" exploding range, whereas a 96-100 signifies the upward direction. Any subsequent roll of 96-100 is added or subtracted, depending on the direction of the initial roll. Is there a way in Rolld20 to put this mechanic into a dice roll formula? I'm afraid I have zero experience or knowledge of JS, so if this would be necessary it'd probably be game over for me unfortunately. Thanks Thomas
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
This would pretty much require the API.  The dice expressions only have a concept of exploding up, you'd need a script to parse the results and do the exploding down.  API requires a game created by an currently active Pro subscriber.
Thanks for the quick answer. That goes far beyond my capabilities and resources I fear. Then we'll continue to do it manually... At least it's good to have a confirmation :)