Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Consistency for WotC Modules

I don't want this to come across as a complaint. However, there is some inconsistency with how the Wizards of the Coast Modules deliver NPCs / Monsters. In Storm King's Thunder which I own, the NPCs have a Token image as their Avatar, or as I would call it, their portrait. They then link to a separate handout document, that has the overall image of the creature. So in all, there's two documents for any creatures that have an overall image of the creature. They look like this. Whereas when you purchase something like Volos Guide, you get both the Token and the Portrait all on the Character Sheet. Which is great by the way, and the way I would prefer they deliver the content. This would ultimately limit the number of items they would need to create, and limit the number of handouts I would have to manage to show the players what an NPC looks like. For reference, they look like this. The real challenge comes with the latest WotC content, which I am interested in purchasing, Tyranny of Dragons. This Module actually consists of two separate modules to create a single cohesive campaign. The problem however, is that the two separate modules have implemented the NPCs images using BOTH methods mentioned above as shown in the two images below. I would definitely prefer these to be consistent, one because I'm OCD, and because I would like to deliver to my players a consistent game play experience. If I had to choose, and because I'm sure this is how the Monster Manual Works, I would prefer the method where the Image is set as the Avatar, and the Token is its own separate image. This make the environment cleaner. Also, the Bio and Description can be left for public consumption, while the GM notes can remain private. When you share a character with the players and do NOT give them control, they can see only the Bio and Info page.

Edited 1509473703
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Hi Jeremy! To give you some context on this consistency: Storm King's Thunder (and Lost Mine of Phandelver) was completed before the Monster Manual was released, hence the difference in formatting. The Monster Manual and all subsequent modules use the formatting you've seen, and will continue to see in the future. Using the new formatting has streamlined our internal production very much, which means more awesome content for y'all on Roll20 Hope that clears things up! -Mel, Production Coordinator Edited to add:  The way monsters are set up depends on what we're given and whether or not a creature is in the Monster Manual. The Compendium displays differently than creatures we have to set up ourselves. The inconsistency you are seeing is dependent on manual input of creatures and statblocks and if they are available in the Compendium. Apologies for missing that detail on my first response :)
Is there anyway to change these NPCs in STK to mimic the method mentioned without consuming my storage? I've tried copying the image path and adding it to the character token. The problem is, it adds the image to my library of images. When in reality, the image is provided by the module anyway. Am I just missing something to point the Portrait image to the one provided?
DarkDeer
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Currently I don't believe there is a way to do that as they link back to the compendium entry, which did not exist when they were made. It would require redoing each creature in the module, which would cause doubles in everyone's game, as they would be different object ID's