Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

World of Darkness Dice

Hey Guys: So, I run a OWOD game and as any of you who've also done that know, the dice have special rules.  I need the dice roller to be able to acknowledge any result over X (where X is a number I set) as a "success", needs to be able to take any 1 rolled and subtract a success and needs to NOT count 10's as 2 Successes (20th Anniversary OWOD doesn't treat 10's as 2 successes).  Also, if possible, I'd like the Die Roll to count the number of un-cancelled 10's that are rolled. Does anyone know what to type into the die roller to pull that off?  If it made things easier, I'd drop the 10-counting.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I think you will need to ask in the API forum. I faintly remember reading about someone asking for something similar in that forum.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
I would first try looking in the WoD Roll20 Wiki page .
I did and it didn't really help me. The problem is that the dice roller that appears on the toolbar insists on counting rolled 10's as two successes.  20th Anniversary WOD Rules do not do this except under certain circumstances (Skill Specialties).  I need to find a way to tell the toolbar dice roller to stop doing that, or come up with a formula that lets me make the rolls and do everything except count 10's as 2 successes apiece. I've looked over the Wiki, can't seem to find anything.  Can any of you please help me?  I'd hate to basically have to use some other online dice roller because of a small detail I'm certain somebody somewhere has come up with a solution for.  That would peel back Roll20's utility for me a great deal.

Edited 1510502273
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Gus B. said: the dice roller that appears on the toolbar insists on counting rolled 10's as two successes. The Dice Roller does not (cannot) treat a single roll as more than one single Success or Failure . API Scripts have been written to do so, but it is not possible for the standard Dice Roller to count, for example, a single 10 rolled as two Successes .
Well, I hate to argue with you, but I'm afraid yes it actually does do that.  The Toolbar Dice roller does indeed treat 10's as two successes.  Myself and my group spent 45 minutes Friday afternoon trying to get the Toolbar Dice Roller to NOT do that.
Which toolbar dice roller? The vertical toolbar on the left, or a toolbar at the top or bottom of the screen?
The vertical toolbar on the left.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Could you post a screenshot of an example roll, where successes are being counted twice?
With the greatest of respect.  How is a screenshot supposed to help?  All you'll see is the same thing we saw.  The die roller is told to make a roll, and every time a "10" comes up, it's counted as two successes.  There's no code to examine or anything - that's part of the problem.  The vertical toolbar dice roller doesn't show you what it's doing.  In one die roll three 10's appeared along with 2 1's and no other successes - the roll was counted as FOUR successes total, which means if it was just three 10's, it would have thought it had rolled SIX successes. This isn't a problem a screen shot is gonna solve - you either believe me or you don't.  I have FAR better things to do with my time than come here and take up YOUR important time with a non-problem.
Hi Gus! We believe you, in my case I just need more details to be able to understand what you're going for. Can you please explain the rules of the game (specifically as it pertains to this roll) you're playing down to every last detail and share the formula(s) you've tried so far to roll the result you're looking for? If we know exactly what you're trying to do, we can hopefully give you the precise formula you need to roll it. 

Edited 1510543423
Is it possible you have the Exploding (Separate) radio button selected? A screenshot of settings may help:
So, please accept my apologies for spamming the forum response with a bunch of screen shots, but I think it's important to show as varied a set of examples as possible here. So, while it turns out that in the past the DR seems to have been counting 10's twice, it doesn't seem to be doing that anymore, so there's one problem down.  Phew! (of course in cases where my PC's have Ability Specializations, it would be nice to tell the DR to count 10's twice but if I had to choose between them doing it all the time and doing it not at all, I'll take the latter. But that leaves me with the problem (as you folks can see) of the fact that 1's are not subtracting from rolled successes and the success count isn't reflecting the necessary subtractions.  As you folks can see from my many examples, it doesn't matter if I explode or don't explode the dice.  1's aren't subtracting successes as they are supposed to. Does anyone have any idea how to make them do that using the Dice Roller from the vertical left hand toolbar?

Edited 1510641076
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Gus B. said: 1's aren't subtracting successes as they are supposed to. Does anyone have any idea how to make them do that using the Dice Roller from the vertical left hand toolbar? The Dice Roller is not able to account for Failures . As such, I recommend writing a Macro to do so. For example, /r ?{Dice Pool|8}d10>6f1 Once you've used such a macro once, you can "Re-Roll" it via the Dice Roller.
Gus,    If you are running a standard White Wolf World of Darkness game (as in 1st, 2nd or 3rd edition) I may be able to help. I currently run a 3rd edition Vampire game and have gotten macros to do a lot - with the help of some brilliantly written API scripts by people on the forums. Drop me a PM and we can connect via Discord. Xargun
Havoc
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If you are Pro sub., here's my API for oWoD dice:&nbsp;<a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3323922/cwod-dice-roller/?pageforid=3323922#post-3323922" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/3323922/cwod-dice-roller/?pageforid=3323922#post-3323922</a>
That looks like a lovely macro and thanks for putting it up.&nbsp; I have a couple of problems with it though.&nbsp; Firstly, why do you ask me about more than 1 die pool in a given roll?&nbsp; Second, when the die roller performs its function...where exactly does it display its results?&nbsp; Because when I activate it, it doesn't show me the results anywhere...
Havoc
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Firstly, why do you ask me about more than 1 die pool in a given roll? This was created for my oWoD sheet, so the second pool is actually modifier that the player inputed when he clicked to roll from the sheet. You can ignore it in the macro (just put 0 there). Second, when the die roller performs its function...where exactly does it display its results? Because when I activate it, it doesn't show me the results anywhere... Strange. It should show up, maybe something was set wrongly or something changed?&nbsp;

Edited 1511907651
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Gus B. said: Second, when the die roller performs its function...where exactly does it display its results?&nbsp; Because when I activate it, it doesn't show me the results anywhere... You need to first install the API Script before you are able to use the macro in question. Check out the API Use Guide ; you need to first copy and paste the entire script (found here ) into the Script Editor after pressing the New Script button. Then, press the Save Script button, below.