Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Weighing characters

keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm assuming this is the sort of thing that can only be done with the API, but is there a way to find out which of the characters in my campaign consume the greatest number of resources, or at least take up more data? I'd like to winnow, but would rather go for more bang for buck.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
That’s an interesting question. I wonder what the best metric is. Most attributes? Most text?  I think API would be the easiest. 
Silvyre
Forum Champion
This probably isn't too useful quantitatively, but the Character Windows of weightier Characters take longer to open.
Silvyre said: This probably isn't too useful quantitatively, but the Character Windows of weightier Characters take longer to open. Aren't the character avatars loaded dynamically though? They aren't loaded unless you click on them or that character posts in chat?

Edited 1510843755
chris b.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Magik wrote some code that looked at the html to see how much data there was. The first 3 javascript scripts here just run in the console on the browser against an open sheet Note don't run these blindly because they might delete data, their purpose was to delete duplicate attributes early on and are specific to the Pathfinder sheet. But you can use this as a start to write something that counts up the fields <a href="https://gist.github.com/Magik11" rel="nofollow">https://gist.github.com/Magik11</a>

Edited 1510843463
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Matt W. said: Silvyre said: This probably isn't too useful quantitatively, but the Character Windows of weightier Characters take longer to open. Aren't the character avatars loaded dynamically though? They aren't loaded unless you click on them or that character posts in chat? No. Unlike pages, which can be archived, and don't really take up any resources when not active, all characters in the campaign are in memory when the campaign loads. It's one of the reasons the general advice is to keep your number of characters small, and their abilities manageable. Currently I offload non-essential characters to a library campaign with the Transmogrifier. One of the advantages of this setup is the ability to reference macros and abilities on character that are not on the map. Some people put most of their utility macros on a blank character, so that it can be moved from game to game. I have a couple of those. A lot of API scripts (ex. the recent Tongues) depend on characters and handouts being resident in memory. I'm sure others can explain the need far better than I, though.
keithcurtis said: Matt W. said: Silvyre said: This probably isn't too useful quantitatively, but the Character Windows of weightier Characters take longer to open. Aren't the character avatars loaded dynamically though? They aren't loaded unless you click on them or that character posts in chat? No. Unlike pages, which can be archived, and don't really take up any resources when not active, all characters in the campaign are in memory when the campaign loads. It's one of the reasons the general advice is to keep your number of characters small, and their abilities manageable. Currently I offload non-essential characters to a library campaign with the Transmogrifier. One of the advantages of this setup is the ability to reference macros and abilities on character that are not on the map. Some people put most of their utility macros on a blank character, so that it can be moved from game to game. I have a couple of those. A lot of API scripts (ex. the recent Tongues) depend on characters and handouts being resident in memory. I'm sure others can explain the need far better than I, though. I am aware the abilities and attributes are auto loaded but I was under the impression that their pictures were not.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, I see what you mean. I was confused by the bit of text you quoted, which I assumed was referring to character sheet windows in general, not the picture avatars. No, I don't think they would, either.