Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

New group, questions about pack content

Edited 1516540015
We were thinking about getting packs for our DM, but a lot of the token packs seems oddly specific. Kobolds? Great and all but how long do we want to fight Kobolds for? There is the big WotC bundles (campaigns and books) but does the campaign included stuff work outside the campaign? I assume it has map tiles and tokens. We have a good amount planned at the moment, so no point buying them now if they won't help us now. Likewise for the mini-dungeons. I like the idea behind them but it really isn't clear what is in them and if we decide to only run a few from a bundle can we use assets in the others in our own stuff?  Really we just want a versatile set to save him time and effort.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Can't speak for any specific artist but in general many artist do themed packs be it kobolds, orcs, fighters, or other themes. This let's them create 4 or 5 templates then be able to create alts of the core theme to give 40 tokens of various colors or slight weapon changes per pack. There are some variety packs of tokens that are not a tight theme such as a Monster pack (don't have the url handy) which has one of each underground monster (limited number in the pack) that would be commonly found. The WotC bundles are usually module and you can use them outside their game but it requires some effort to move the items. The character sheets could be done with the vault but the other assets like maps and handouts would probably need the transmogrifier which is a pro subscription feature. The mini-dungeons are cool as they are addons which allows them to be added to any current game being ran or created already..

Edited 1516560543
Thanks for the response. Answers pretty much everything I asked, although leaves me with a few more questions (as modules don't sound like what we want right now).  Do the mini-dungeons come with useable assets? Doesn't have to be a lot, just if we buy a significant amount (theres 30) how easily can the DM adapt say a dungeon set up he likes into his own stuff, or monster/NPC tokens etc. Since the idea is to speed up him making his story first then after the two "arcs" he has planned (maybe between as a mini quest for info) we can start doing some seriously.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
From what I know of them, the mini dungeons are just maps and tokens similar in layout like a module (including the sheets and stuff) and setup but are able to be dropped into any game. They create/add all the various journal/sheets, handouts to your tabs along with the map pages being fully setup (if the game creator has a subscription then there might be additional features such as dynamic lighting enabled). Remember all this is tied to the account of the purchaser (unless you gifted it on purchase- not sure of that procedure) so if you buy it, you can only add them to games your create.
Gold
Forum Champion
I would recommend 1-3 Monster Packs from the Art Sets, and 1-3 Map packs which could include one made of "pieces" for assembling your own map, and another that contains multiple pre-made, ready-to-go Maps.  I can get some links to suggest for you if that would help?  Pat mentioned the variety-packs of monster tokens too, and I think that sounds like a good call for what Tom requested.