Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

MASKS #23 - TRAIN & SHIP [Recap]

Edited 1517389493
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Leo recaps previous events with an in-character message to Agent Waters, referencing Jason's and Ghost Girl's departures, Concord's discovery of a Keynome under the school, the damage to Halcyon High South, Mercury's negotiations with the other teams and his family, and more. He also talks about the upcoming cross-team training, comparing it to sports events, with the JHHL as the "varsity team" and the adults as refs. [It is discussed whether Jason borrows Harry's help during this time to open a portal at the Quill compound, but Dave later says no, that didn't happen] Harry meets Concord and Link at the Quill Foundation - away from the prying eyes of the Gales. Harry starts the conversation with the Menagerie with "I have made mistakes, and regret everything!" After texting A10, he called Comet earlier at A10's request, and the original discussion escalated. "I REGRET EVERYTHING." Link and Concord seem okay with this turn of events. Harry explains his motives for how this situation came to be, and.. "I may have challenged my uncle? It all happened very quickly?" The Menagerie is meeting with That Other Team - A10, Alloy (Element Woman/female Grunge), Armiger (wielder of Excalibur), the Animal (animal-themed shape changing), and Telekinetian. Their mentor Comet previously expressed doubts about their readiness to really engage on supers missions. Comet reluctantly made a deal: That Other Team could prove themselves to him, as could the Menagerie, by training together. The training will be overseen by Adam's father, Sergeant Nassir Amari, and Harry's uncle, Comet. Concord is okay with this too until this comes out: "that can't be right. I'm Adam." It's not a school day tomorrow due to Christmas Break, plus there's an extra week to sort out the HHS kids, so the crews will show up tomorrow at 10am at the deserted school. Adam is worried about his dad's involvement. Link continues to be okay with throwing down with rivals at a destructible school. Harry continues to radiate *CONCERN*. [Brief discussion about Sol assisting in setting up/running training scenarios. Consensus is that Adam and Sol share power, so Concord can't Concord if Sol is detached.] Link relays Jason's message to him: "you're leader now." Concord: "honestly I thought you were leading already." Mercury: "we have a team leader?" Link: "I KNOW RIGHT". But Link volunteers to tank adult conversations if necessary. Pneuma and Otto will be involved in the training scenarios as well. Jason has previously set up a man-cave for Otto in the Quill parking garage, including flat screen TV, mega-couch, and console games. There's an always-on video conferencing gig so Otto isn't left out. [Brief discussion of the odds of villains attacking us during training. Consensus: certainty.] Adam's dad is home that night, prepping his training plans for tomorrow. Jordan has to go back to school Monday, and demands Adam play Settlers of Catan, dinosaurs, etc. with her before conking out. Leo and Pneuma spend the evening going to a movie. Mercury gets texts that night: A10: OMG Mercury: What's up? A10: OMGGGGGGG WHAT DID YOU DO? WHAT DID I DO Mercury: ..... I did lots of things. What in particular are you talking about A10: COMET YOU TEAM GAH Mercury: OH YEAH THAT THING A10: YEAH THAT HTING [banging head gif] so... like... the next time I say "I need help with french class" you... bring me the eiffel tower?!? Adam and Sol briefly discuss Adam's opinion of the Ponies. Sol indicates they have "intensity of feelings". Adam: "they really wanna hang out, that worries me greatly." Does Adam's mom even permit Snapchat, etc. on Adam's phone? Adam probably has a very locked-down feature phone so is immune to Pony wiles. Training session moves: <a href="https://plus.google.com/+DoyceTesterman/posts/XmDhmVRfpMP" rel="nofollow">https://plus.google.com/+DoyceTesterman/posts/XmDhmVRfpMP</a> TRAINING DAY That Other Team and Comet are in costume (however loosely that's defined for each person). The Menagerie arrives via Otto as a group, possibly blasting some suitably badass WWE entrance music (Pour Some Sugar On Me, We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions, Name of the Game, Remember the Name, etc.). "GROUND RULES: try not to destroy the school. Do the challenges. If we're in the school, we're in there for specific purposes. Nobody needs to get knocked through walls." Sgt. Amari: *koff* "again" (referencing Adam telling him about that happening to him last time). With each training exercise, we had one of the PCs do it 'for real' with a check of the move, and then we alternated through PCs and NPCs after that one established the basic challenge, where we narrated how each person approached the problem, and what it looked like. SCENARIO 1: Comet. Hostage rescue. Training robots are scattered through the school. Comet will reset/rearrange things every time. Mercury started off the whole exercise by taking on Comet's first scenario (hostages in a building, spread out, with lots of blind corners, because Comet is really obsessed with measure-twice-cut-once levels of prep). He did well, but not perfectly, and saw how he could have done better. A-10 was solid on the hostages. Alloy was solid but slow(er), due to sneaking around. Armiger was late and missed this one and Animal got a pass on this one. Telekinetian got cocky and let some guys get the drop on him. Leo and Pneuma were great, and Concord ... well, Concorded it. :) [by projecting energy duplicates of himself to take out all the robots at once]. SCENARIO 2: Amari. Stop the Payload. Stop the guys carrying the macguffin, don't let them exit the area. There's a power-dampening field (not really, but pretend there is one) inside. Corcord jumps at the chance to be the hero to his dad. Leo sits out & coaches him. A 12 year old versus six mercs inside his school building turned into a Home Alone scenario. This was another 7-9 hit, letting Nasir shift Adam's labels in surprising ways (Dad wants Adam to get some more hand-to-hand training). A-10 and Leo sat this one out, so they could coach the rest of their teams. Harry had trouble not using his powers - Comet suggested practicing with HHL power dampeners on. Telekinetian ... did not do well. Again. Alloy has lots of hand to hand training, so it was pretty straightforward for her. "Don't use your Powers" doesn't really work for Animal. Turns out the training bots have Wilhelm screams programmed into them if a rhino hits them hard enough. Armiger couldn't use his powers, but his shard of Excalibur weighs about 50 kilos, so... I mean... you hit guys with that, and a lack of powers doesn't really matter too much. INTERRUPT! Members of the JHHL (Stingray, Keri/Superchica, Kid Kelvin, Ninjess, Bob) arrive and talk smack. Leo: "are these the villains you want us to fight, Comet?" But no, Comet plugs them into the scenario. SCENARIO 3: Supervillain Prison Escape. Link - Stingray - Ninjess - TK - Alloy must deal with a simulated villain prison break. Leo & Pneuma double-team on support, coordinating with each other and making Stingray & TK into leaders for their respective teams. "TAKE INFLUENCE OH F***" Leo manages to get influence on half of That Other Team & couple JHHL folks. Gotta Catch Em All. SCENARIO 4: Crashing Plane. Mercury - A10 - Kid Kelvin - Bob - Animal. Keri plays a panicked plane passenger, with Concord as her pet chihuahua. Sol/Comet/others remote operate the plane & passengers. Mercury takes a big hit to pull off a success, is dressed down, but manages to stand strong and impress Comet. POST GAME WRAPUP We didn't blow it, the Menagerie came off looking pretty good, and apparently Comet is impressed enough with That Other Team to approve them doing field work - maybe. A10 gives Mercury the big eyes. Keri flies off with a captured Concord. Everyone goes for pizza on Comet's dime. Leo Pierces A10's Mask to figure out her team's deal and try and get influence with her.
Fun!&nbsp;
Also, Adam got regulated to stage crew after getting tricksy with completing challenges.&nbsp; This might finally break him of that theater bug.&nbsp; :D
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
To be fair, he also used his theater bug to Home Alone a six-pack of imaginary terrorists.
Doyce T. said: To be fair, he also used his theater bug to Home Alone a six-pack of imaginary terrorists.

Edited 1517301373
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Leo's not necessarily rooting around A10's backstory for shipping dirt, he's more interested in seeing the two teams on good terms. So for a Pierce the Mask: What do you want me to do (re: our teams)? What do you intend to do (re: our teams)? How could I gain Influence over you?

Edited 1517325556
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
All hail Pepe, Concordance chihuahua.

Edited 1517332121
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Bill G. said: Quick Summary: Mercury and Concord get 7-9s on the custom training moves, do okay. A10's team not so great. With each training exercise, we had one of the PCs do it 'for real' with a check of the move, and then we alternated through PCs and NPCs after that one established the basic challenge, where we narrated how each person approached the problem, and what it looked like. Mercury started off the whole exercise by taking on Comet's first scenario (hostages in a building, spread out, with lots of blind corners, because Comet is really obsessed with measure-twice-cut-once levels of prep). He did well, but not perfectly, and saw how he could have done better. A-10 was solid on the hostages. Alloy was solid but slow(er), due to sneaking around. Armiger was late and missed this one (retcon, since the GM forgot him) and Animal got a pass on this one. Telekinetian got cocky and let some guys get the drop on him. Leo and Pneuma were great, and Concord ... well, Concorded it. :) Corcord took on his dad's scenario first - in which you fly into the mission and have your powers damped to nothing and have to try to win anyway. A 12 year old versus six mercs inside his school building turned into a Home Alone scenario. This was another 7-9 hit, letting Nasir shift Adam's labels in surprising ways (Dad wants Adam to get some more hand-to-hand training). A-10 and Leo sat this one out, so they could coach the rest of their teams. Harry had trouble not using his powers - Comet suggested practicing with HHL power dampeners on. Telekinetian ... did not do well. Again. Alloy has lots of hand to hand training, so it was pretty straightforward for her. "Don't use your Powers" doesn't really work for Animal. Turns out the training bots have Wilhelm screams programmed into them if a rhino hits them hard enough. Armiger couldn't use his powers, but his shard of Excalibur weighs about 50 kilos, so... I mean... you hit guys with that, and a lack of powers doesn't really matter too much. Leo getting influence on like four people at once during the team exercise was... yeah. Gotta catch em all. And Comet's actually considering seeing if Harry can do his "super charge" trick - Streak could never do it.
Doyce T. said: All hail Pepe, Concordance chihuahua. Yes, that one demanded some explanation of our local participant.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I'll be done with the recap tonight :)
While I won't spoil anyone else's retelling of these fun events, but I will link these&nbsp; two&nbsp; relevant&nbsp; posts .
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
*** Dave H. said: Doyce T. said: All hail Pepe, Concordance chihuahua. Yes, that one demanded some explanation of our local participant. This spot pretty well documents the glorious arrival of Pepe. <a href="https://youtu.be/mqIV-v3kNCQ?t=2h29m46s" rel="nofollow">https://youtu.be/mqIV-v3kNCQ?t=2h29m46s</a>
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
This is Concord, so
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Recap has been added. Please let me know if I missed anything.
Nice!
On Adam's to-do list after this session (in order of importance): Talk to Leo about all this unwanted attention he's getting (unwanted might be a little strong, but it's definately troubling him at the moment). Talk to Sol about Bob (Adam's experience with aliens so far as been... mostly horrible so far). Figure out this keynome thing, I guess.&nbsp; The team will take care of that before that becomes a big deal.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Mike said: Talk to Leo about all this unwanted attention he's getting (unwanted might be a little strong, but it's definately troubling him at the moment). I'll have to whip up some Keri-Off and Pony-Away... But yeah, let's do that talk when/how you want.
Bill G. said: Mike said: Talk to Leo about all this unwanted attention he's getting (unwanted might be a little strong, but it's definately troubling him at the moment). I'll have to whip up some Keri-Off and Pony-Away... But yeah, let's do that talk when/how you want This seems like a good forum banter.&nbsp; I can start it up unless you've got a particular scene open for Leo.&nbsp; Probably right after the pizza party unless Link's conversation with Stingray spills over after that.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
The Stingray thing will be ongoing, I think we're just applying the emotional crowbar to get him open for now. Kick off when you want. :)
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Yeah Stingray's thing isn't going to be long. He's going to crack like a [insert sea-based metaphor involving easily cracked creature] in short order.
Doyce T. said: Yeah Stingray's thing isn't going to be long. He's going to crack like a [insert sea-based metaphor involving easily cracked creature] in short order. Oyster?
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
*looks at the thread* Soft shell crab, more like.
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
Doyce T. said: Soft shell crab, more like. He was a softer nut to crack than I expected. I still have a request for Pierce the Mask results on A10, I expect she's a little more complex right now. :)
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
GM side-note - NPCs closely working with PCs can also, at the group's discretion and fiction permitting, spend Team to help, so we could have totally spent more team for Mercury on that last training thing, without bending into pretzels over it. We got too hung up on figuring how the PCs could do it. Lesson learned! And in any case I'm happy with how it came out anyway. [Unrelated: I patched up some tags on a few recent posts so they index correctly in the search page.]

Edited 1517503377
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
When James mentioned the Legacy move, I immediately knew he had a plan and was okay seeing things take that route. And I think you put on the table team spend from Leo's robots since issue 1. I'm still super cautious because I keep thinking of those as player spent Fate points or something, not character spent tokens to essentially buy a bonus/aid action type thing.
Doyce
Pro
Sheet Author
Bill G. said: When James mentioned the Legacy move, I immediately knew he had a plan and was okay seeing things take that route. And I think you put on the table team spend from Leo's robots since issue 1. I'm still super cautious because I keep thinking of those as player spent Fate points or something, not character spent tokens to essentially buy a bonus/aid action type thing. That was what reminded me about it - the book says NPCs can, Otto and Pneuma were the first and best examples of that, but then I realized we had a whole BUNCH of capable NPCs that we'd ignored in that scene. In any case, with those other teams in more scenes going forward, and at least SOMEtimes helping, it'll be a good thing to remember.