Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is it possible a player (who worked as a developer/programmer in real life) could somehow be manipulating the dice roll in Roll20?

Maybe this is not the place, but I have a player in my game that was once a developer/coder in the real world..and since joining our game I have noticed some very very high rolls from him nat 20 etc. Just wanted to make sure that there is nothing he could do from outside to edge or manipulate the dice roll. Maybe a dumb question but just wanted to make sure and put my curiousness to reat.   

Edited 1517800690
Silvyre
Forum Champion
GamerD20 said: Just wanted to make sure that there is nothing he could do from outside to edge or manipulate the dice roll. Roll20 guarantees it. From the QuantumRoll wiki page : It's easy to tell if your rolls are using QuantumRoll -- a small icon will appear next to the roll result, like so: When you see this symbol, you know that the roll was generated by our QuantumRoll server -- in fact, your client has verified via cryptographic signature that the roll is valid and was "signed" by our server's private key; this means it is 100% free from any tampering by a player or a GM. If you client is unable to verify the validity of a roll, you will see an error message instead.
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
As long as he's using a legit macro, it should be fine.

Edited 1517808989
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Even with a custom macro, it'd be pretty hard to fib it so that you couldn't tell immediately from hovering over the roll. Taking a generic attack roll: [[1d20+5+8]] The only way I can think of to force that to be a certain "natural roll" is to wrap it in inline rolls: [[[[20]]+5+8]] Which obviously looks much different. If you can see an actual dice expression in the roll, then short of them somehow using an API script (which you would have to install) the roll is valid.
If a player wants to cheat he can, just like in face to face games. For example to always get the minimum dice roll type a w at the end:  /r 8d6w. Don't play with people that cheat.

Edited 1517840283
Albert R. said: If a player wants to cheat he can, just like in face to face games. For example to always get the minimum dice roll type a w at the end:&nbsp; /r 8d6w. Don't play with people that cheat. I thought exactly about the same trick (happens a lot by accident in Germany since the normal way to note dice is 1W20 for what internationally is known as a 1d20). But here's the kicker, as Silvyre posted those rolls won't identify as quantum rolls, and are therefore easy to spot. Edit: @GamerD20: You can see the average rolls of Quantum Rolling on the status page: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/home/quantum" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/home/quantum</a> If you're not trusting the randomness in roll20 (like my players do) you could also install the Rollstats Script by manvetti: <a href="https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-api-scripts/tree/" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/Roll20/roll20-api-scripts/tree/</a>... What it does is record every die roll in your game and average it. Later you can look how close your whole campaign is to the expected average either on a per player / all players base and either for the current session or for all rolls since the script was installed.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Good Script tip! Also putting that roll in brackets won't work either. [[8d6w]] returns, "Rolling 8d6w = 8", without the Quantum Stamp.
Thank you all for your help and advise. It makes me feel a lot better about things knowing its next to impossible to cheat the roll using the normal Quantum roll.