Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Rolling multiple initiatives

Hello this is the macro I'm currently using to roll initiatives. /gmroll [[1d20+?{Ini bonus?|0} &{tracker}]] But I'm wondering if there is a way to adjust it so it would except single targets or multiple targets at once. So if I have like 8 identical creatures I can roll them all at once.
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
You want the group initiative API script.
I tried that script once. From what I could tell it uses the sheets to roll initiaitive.   That defeats any time saved.

Edited 1518752539
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
If by that you mean you have to prep your characters, then, yes it does require some prep work. At game time though, it's just select the tokens and roll. Regardless, it's the only ready made option that is system agnostically.

Edited 1518752888
Yeah, that. You see with this macro I just plsce then token, click the ini button, type in 5 or whatever, click ok and it rolls and places the goblin in the ini order. If I have 8 goblins I repeat this 8 times.  With the API I am not saving anytime, just rearranging when I spend the time.  And am actually spending more overall. So yeah less time spent rolling inis in game but thats the only benefit. What Im qsking for is something I can use exactly like I use that macro but just have it work for all creatures selected at once instead of one at a time.

Edited 1518753657
Because I can achieve the same amount if time saved in game by pre-rolling initiatives. Which is actually what I did when I had a climatic battle with 85 npcs.
Not a pro subscriber myself, so I don't have the API, but wouldn't it be really pretty easy to replace whatever sheet reference the API is looking for and prompt for it instead?
Devlin M. said: Because I can achieve the same amount if time saved in game by pre-rolling initiatives. Which is actually what I did when I had a climatic battle with 85 npcs. The normal D&D game isn't meant to simulate 85 NPCs in combat.  At most, you should have 30 NPCs in any given combat.  Anything more, and it's basically a war, which isn't within the scope of D&D at all.  At that point, you should use some kind of mass combat rules at the very least.  I'm not sure about D&D 5e, but older versions of D&D, like AD&D1e and 2e had BATTLESYSTEM rules.  If you get the chance, you should check that out.
You mean War Machine?  And I hadnt acually counted out the enemies when I was making the battle. The players had 13 allies plus themselves, so I just made a number of minions capable of satisfying the exp budget of 13 allies plus a party of 5. It was a player that ounted the enemies.  
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You do have to set the settings for the api script, but you don't have to do anything to the sheets or tokens. Group-init just needs to be told where to look for the proper stats. Once that's done (and there are walk-throughs for most of the popular systems), then it's just a matter of selecting whatever tokens you wish, and invoking the script command once. It places them all on the grid. I use it this way all the time, and even have a button that allows the PCs to do the same for characters they control, so they can roll their own.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Late to the party... You can use GroupInitiative with tokens and no character sheets at all.  You miss out on some of the automated behavior, but if you remove all the Bonus Stat Groups: !group-init --del-group 1 Repeat until the output looks like this: Then you can just select tokens and call it like this: !group-init --bonus 7 or more generally !group-init --bonus ?{Bonus|0} You will get an individual roll for each token, with whatever bonus you specify being applied to it. Note that this will apply the SAME bonus to every selected token.  There isn't really a way for the API to call back to the user and prompt them for each token, which is why GroupInitiative works better with attributes on a character.
Oh ok thanks! That sounds to be exactly what I wanted then. :)