Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Drop Dice with an individual result of less than a number

Is there a way to roll a set of dice such that all dice with a result of x or less is removed from the total calculated. I understand you can count the number of dice >x using conditional checks, but is there a way to sum the dice that succeeded the check? Alternatively, you could add a modifier (-1) to each individual dice rolled where the value for each individual dice cant drop below 0. but I haven't found a way to do that either.

Edited 1519263782
Silvyre
Forum Champion
One way to do this would be to create a Rollable Table to emulate such a roll. For example, if you wanted to roll Xd6 and ignore values of 2 or 1, your Rollable Table would have Table Items with values of 0, 3, 4, 5, 6 (with respective weights of 2, 1, 1, 1, 1).
Nice thought. Rollable tables hadn't crossed my mind and will probably be a short-term solution. We were hoping to implement an armor / armor-piercing mechanic on a damage roll where if you rolled 4d6 each d6 > (Enemy armor - Your AP) is added to the damage total.  As far as I'm aware you would need a unique rollable table for each dice size and armor value combo to achieve this with rolltables unless there is an advanced feature I'm unaware of. Seems like I'm pulling back out the API for this one.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Briland said: As far as I'm aware you would need a unique rollable table for each dice size and armor value combo to achieve this with rolltables unless there is an advanced feature I'm unaware of. Yes, that is true. Briland said: Seems like I'm pulling back out the API for this one. That's likely the best route, here.

Edited 1519399665
Another option is to fake it by checking the number of successes and then rolling that many d6s (or whichever die type is desired). The below example would need to be modified +/-1 where needed: [[[[4d6>[[?{Target AC|0}-?{Your AP|0}]]]]d6r<[[?{Target AC|0}-?{Your AP|0}]]]] While this doesn't guarantee the same sum as what was initially rolled, it effectively mimics the process without using API (something I've ZERO knowledge on.)
Bryan P. said: [[[[4d6>[[?{Target AC|0}-?{Your AP|0}]]]]d6r<[[?{Target AC|0}-?{Your AP|0}]]]] This is pretty slick, unfortunately not quite what we were going for. It would be nice to be able to use the result of the roll querries here twice as well. I'm surprised there isn't a way to apply a modifier to individual dice in the roller, but I guess thats not a common demand most pen and paper systems have.

Edited 1519403921
Briland said: It would be nice to be able to use the result of the roll querries here twice as well. I'm surprised there isn't a way to apply a modifier to individual dice in the roller, but I guess thats not a common demand most pen and paper systems have. While individual rolls won't have the input equal to the output (which would be quite nice!), the averages should wash out to being equal. For example 4Random > 3 outputs 2 successes. The system then rolls 2Random rerolling values <= minimum allowed. In a way, the output is similar to what would be desired without tomfoolery; the sum of 2Random successful rolls. Hear ya on that! Looks like it's been brought up before in the forums, but I had not seen a date/plans for implementation.

Edited 1519456753
Silvyre
Forum Champion
That's an excellent idea, Bryan P. ! I would certainly use your solution, myself: /r [[ ?{Number of dice|4}d?{Die size|6}>?{Success threshold|3} ]]d?{Die size}r<[[?{Success threshold} - 1]]
Unfortunately, this doesn't quite work for us. I realize I neglected to mention that we want to reduce even the rolls that pass the check by the armor value remaining so a roll of 3+3+3 vs an armor value of 2 becomes a 1+1+1. /r [[ ?{Number of dice|4}d?{Die size|6}>[[?{Armor|1}-?{Armor Piercing|0}+1]] ]]d?{Die size}r<[[?{Armor|0}-?{Armor Piercing|0}]] You could do this if you could re-use the result from [[ ?{Number of dice|4}d?{Die size|6}>[[?{Armor|1}-?{Armor Piercing|0}+1]] ]] later in the roll /r [[ ?{Number of dice|4}d?{Die size|6}>[[?{Armor|1}-?{Armor Piercing|0}+1]] ]]d?{Die size}r<[[?{Armor|0}-?{Armor Piercing|0}]] - [[ RESUSE HERE * [[?{Armor|0}-?{Armor Piercing|0} ]] ]]
Hrm, I can see the added difficulty. To see if some sort of trickery can be done, and to ensure I understand, it would be appreciated if you could confirm the below assumptions for an ideal output: Damage roll is 4d6 Armor is 5 Armor Piercing is 3 Of the damage, you roll 1,2,3,4; yielding two successes (3 and 4) Present damage, before additional subtraction would be 7 You then subtract 4 from this damage (2 successes times 2 for the difference between armor and armor piercing) for a final total of 3 damage If this above is correct, I'm at a loss for transferring the successes over again in the same macro. The only non-API solution I could think of would be to output a table of results for each level of Armor vs. AP difference. This would only be viable if there's a small range of common differences.
All of those assumptions are correct. Currently Armor and AP values only range from 0 to 4 but we use the whole range of dice to represent damage values. Which makes the range of differences not small. Currently, we are using your macro and manually subtracting (Armor - AP)*numSuccesses but I am working on an API script to achieve a fully automated result.
Gotcha. Was so focused on finding a work around I had failed to adequately register that you could not be the GM, or using an alt account, and thus still able to use an API at your level. My apologies.
Yeah, I do the API work for our group. The GM is the one with PRO. An interesting fact is that only the creator of the game needs to be Pro to have it enabled. Free users that the creator adds as GMs will have access to the API interface (but interestingly enough not custom character sheets or any other game settings. This has made the development of the character sheet a pain).
hey, you guys seem like you know what your doing. looking for some help, is there a way to reroll all 1's and 2's from dmg die only once? ex if you rolled 2d6 for your wep attack, 2d6 if you happened to crit, and then 1d4... rerolling the 1 and 2 only once? Im pretty new to this, any help would be appreciated
hey, you guys seem like you know what your doing. looking for some help, is there a way to reroll all 1's and 2's from dmg die only once? ex if you rolled 2d6 for your wep attack, 2d6 if you happened to crit, and then 1d4... rerolling the 1 and 2 only once? Im pretty new to this, any help would be appreciated

Edited 1519874881
Terrence said: hey, you guys seem like you know what your doing. looking for some help, is there a way to reroll all 1's and 2's from dmg die only once? ex if you rolled 2d6 for your wep attack, 2d6 if you happened to crit, and then 1d4... rerolling the 1 and 2 only once? Im pretty new to this, any help would be appreciated Terrence, I'll start looking into it. But if you make your own thread, others may be more likely to see it and have suggestions as well! EDIT: Terrence, all I could come up with is creating a rollable table for each type of die that you would use. In the table, you'd enter every possible number (1-4 in this case). 1 and 2 would have a weight of 1 and all other numbers would have a weight of 2. By doing it this way, you're having the table randomly roll all possible outcomes, with appropriate weighting. i.e. 1or2 each have a 1in8 chance (12.5%) while 3or4 each have a 2in8 chance (25%).