Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Assistance with spell macros

I recently started using Roll20 to particpate in some D&D 5e, and I'm playing a Sorcerer. I read that Macros can be used to speed up the game and make my spells have visual effects. But I have no real programing experience, so I can't make my own. I've looked through the library, and I don't see the effects I want. Any help would be apreiciated. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Custom SFX are a Pro feature unfortunately, and require a subscription.
In the sense that I need to be a pro to use them, or to make them?

Edited 1518994437
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I think you can use the burn SXF for free, as a demo, but I'm not sure. Other than that, I believe you need to be in a game created by a pro user. You yourself don't need to be a pro if this is true. If you as a free user create a game, or are in a game created by another free user, it won't work. Likewise, even if you are a pro user, you won't be able to use them in a game created by a free user.
I am in a game created by a pro.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ah, I understand. No, you cannot create your own SFX, but are limited to those provided by default. At least, I think this to be the case.
So the DM needs to create the SFX? Then why do I have the option to add them on my sheet?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
What sheet are you using? I know in the case of the Shaped sheet, the option is there regardless of your subscription level, It just doesn't do anything if you don't have the privilege.
Anyone can trigger limited pre-built effects.&nbsp; The GM whom is also a PRO subscriber, can make custom ones and control more options with them. The one's anyone can use can be found here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Custom_FX#FX_Library" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Custom_FX#FX_Library</a> Generally in the format of /fx shape-color @{target|caster|token_id} @{target|Foe|token_id} Example: /fx beam-frost @{target|caster|token_id} @{target|Foe|token_id}
The default sheet, but in the "attributes & abilities" tab, I seem to have the option to add macros. I was able to use glow and burst while playing around, but they didn't do what I wanted. So I tried to customize it. Therein lies the problem.&nbsp;
Am I able to use the default effects, but tweak them for my goals? Ex. Create the effect of the Light cantrip using the Glow fx, but modifying it so that it goes all around and lingers for a few seconds?
No.&nbsp; Just the canned effects, as-is.