Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Advice for beginners

hello all, I am looking for any advice, tips or anything of the sort on getting started in D&D. I'm brand new to the game, have always been fascinated by it but have never had to opportunity to play it seriously in my small small isolated town. I have read the old player hand books and GMG and just recently started diving into 5th edition since discovering roll20 and what not. Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction to get my delayed career started.
Hi Terrence, welcome to the fold of a neverending game.  I see you started your hand on 5e which is an excellent beginners system.  I don't quite know a direct website to help you with your full understanding of 5e but if you have discord you may add me @ Obe#2537 and we can talk or you can PM me on here and I can show you around Roll20 to give you a basis of understanding

Edited 1519281987
Jesse
Plus
Be patient looking for a game here.  Listings in the game finder can be stale so don't get discouraged.  You won't get replies from lots of DMs.  Don't get discouraged.  People will no-show for your first game.  Don't get discouraged.  You *will* find a fun group if you keep at it but, like dating, it's kind of a numbers game.  Don't think of the failures as rejections and keep on asking people out on new dates.  :D While it's helpful to have a character concept running around in your head, most DMs aren't going to be judging your application based on your character.  They are more interested in what kind of player you are going to be and what you are looking for, how you'll work with a group, etc.  Make sure you tell them about you and what you want to get out of the game.  What your play style might be like, etc.  I know that can be tricky since you're a virgin, but try to think about it. Paid games are easier to get into.  If you have a budget, I'm playing with a paid DM now who's quite awesome and has some openings in some of his games still, I think.  You can send me a DM if you want his contact info.  There are also plenty of paid games in the game finder, though I never got a response from any of those DMs ironically.