Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

I am looking for the Holy Grail of campaigns. Am I doomed to never find it?

Hi everyone! So in my non-internet life, I DM a bi-weekly campaign. We play for 7-8 hours straight and it is a blast. I have a bunch of rules that enforce respect between players and respect towards the DM - such as not telling others what to do, no PvP and respecting a DM's decision in the moment but with the ability to have a dialogue after the game for something that may have been ruled in a way you disagree with. At the same time, I do character voices (I'm an actor in real life so I love this part) and I provide portraits and location images for almost every person/location of note, helping the players to feel immersed in their game. I also use ambient sounds and music to complete the picture. And I'd love to experience all that as a player, too. But it almost seems like that might be the Holy Grail. I was part of a very fun campaign for a few months but that experience ended recently and I'm hoping to get to play in a game where people stay in character, stay friendly and respectful to one another, the DM roleplays well, prepares well and is also familiar with most rules. I don't think it should be that difficult to find, but it seems that it is. Also, with the new emergence of pay-to-play, it seems that most DMs are more interested in a making a buck than building a long-term group to enjoy multiple adventures with. I am also looking to play Tomb of Annihilation or Storm King's Thunder, just in case a DM who can relate to what I've said above is considering running either and is looking for players who want to make the game as pleasant and fun as they can. And if you are a player in search of the same thing as I, then let's join forces and put together a group.
Yeah, I'd like to join in on this too.
Allow me as well.  Whats your availability?
Weekdays 4PM PST / 7PM EST until 12AM PST / 3AM EST. My ideal time would be 7PM PST - 11PM PST The main issue though is finding a DM. Plenty of players around, and a handful of great ones too, but DMs who fit my description in the original post are difficult to find. :)
Yeah, if you can find a game like that it is truly great.  My IRL game has been running for 7 years with the same group of people and it has been amazing.  Guild Living has been running with a rotating group of players in all kinds of adventures, but the way we play and the core concepts of "roleplay, express yourself, don't argue, stay friends" have kept the group running for 4 years.  Honestly part of the reason I put the amount of effort into Guild Living is because of that mentality and because it is really nice to have a game I can rely on to be interesting and a community to promote the roleplay that makes this game so fun for me.

Edited 1519380190
Edit: Updated with the LFG link. Well I made a LFG game listing and hopefully I can find my Holy Grail :) <a href="https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/106154/a-great-group-dm-and-players-needed" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/106154/a-great-group-dm-and-players-needed</a>
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
By default a link such as <a href="https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1234567/s" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/campaigns/details/1234567/s</a> ... is only visible to players already in the game, and only Plus and Pro subscribers can make their games visible to the public , but people not in the game can not post to the forums. The best way to handle this situation is to create a Looking for Group listing ; even if you do not enable it for viewing in the LFG Directory you can share the link with others and have a separate Listing Discussion forum just for those potentially interested in your game. As a bonus, anyone who posts to your game's Listing Discussion forum will have a big blue button by their username and all a GM has to is click 'Invite to Game' and an invitation will be sent their way. I hope this helps, happy gaming! :)