Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Home brew help?

Edited 1520538022
Hi ! not sure if this is the right bit , it's my first time using the forums but I am a bit confuddled and needing help Essentially, I have been wanting to do a naruto tabletop for ages (have a really good story), but none of the systems I have seen seem to capture the feel I want so I decided to try homebrew it but there's some stuff that I need help with so thought I'd ask here  So I'll put what I've thought of so far and hopefully someone can help (I've copied bit's and pieces from different systems) 1) the players will choose a elemental release at level one (character creation) from one of the basic 5 , they will get bonuses to using jutsu's of that element against it's weakness but will be more vulnerable to it's weakness (so someone with a fire release will do more damage to a wind release user , but will take more damage from a water release user) then at 11th, 16, 21 and so on , maybe make it so they can say if they have fire and water they could use the next release gained for scorch or something  2) characters will be able to choose a village they come from and what clan of said village, and access their techniques later , however they'll get less skill points from levelling and at the start and releases will be locked to that clans so say someone chooses the uchiha's , they can only get fire, lightning and earth, and at the start won't have access to many of the uchiha techniques till a bit later on (say level 3 for first tomoe or something) where as a normal player could get skills faster but they wouldn't be as powerful till later as well (like shadow clones) 3) here's the different stats I had planned Strength - The overall strength of the character, how strong they are as a person. Used for checks such as attempting to lift a heavy object or say win a arm wrestling competition if needs be. Good stat for characters that want to be tough. Dexterity - The Measure of their agility as well as balance and their skill with their hands. Used for checks such as attempting anything acrobatic or trying to hit with a ranged weapon. Good for more graceful characters. Constitution - How tough a person is and how much stamina they have. Used for checks regarding how strong your body is like it resisting poison or druugs or harsh colds  Charisma - Charisma measures a character’s force of personality, persuasiveness, personal magnetism, leadership, and how attractive people find you, used for checks where you need to inspire or talk your way into/out of things Intelligence - A measure of how intelligent your character is , how he reasons and thinks. Used for skill checks regarding quiz's ,thinking back to a time before or thinking of how to escape a situation  Willpower - How will full someone is, a measure of how strong your mind is and how much it can take. Used for checks regarding mental attacks or such Perception - How perceptive someone is, how much he can notice in his surrounding area. Used for checks regarding noticing someone spying or noticing something in the distanced  4) Here's the skills I had in mind  Acrobatics - How athletic one is.. Used for rolls such as trying to backflip off a wall or squeeze through small spaces. Athletics - How athletic one is. Used for rolls such as trying to get somewhere before someone else does (IE a bad guy) or trying to lift heavy stuff. Deception - How deceitful a person is. Used for rolls such as trying to deceive a shopkeeper into believing you aren't going to steal from her later or a guard into believing you were summoned into the village already. Intimidation - How intimidating a person is. Used for intimidating a guard to let you in or a kid to give you his dinner money. Knowledge - How knowledgeable someone is. Used for anything regarding history, tactics, etc etc (I was thinking of putting these as separate skills or something instead of all together ? just not sure how Animal Handling - How good with animals someone is. Used for say calming a dog or cat or boar, can also be used to encourage any pets you have. Medical - How good you are at anything medical related but not medical jutsu's. Used for say applying healing herbs or such. (not sure if I should remove this since there's healing jutsu's , this was more mean't for stuff other than it like bandaging wounds and such) Persuasion - How persuasive one can be. Used for checks such as trying to persuade someone to drop their weapons , or a shop keeper to lower their prices.  Stealth - How stealthy one is , how hidden you can keep yourself and do stuff without being noticed. Used for checks such as sneaking up on people or such or trying to steal stuff. (should I add sleight of hand as another skill?) Chakra Control - How well one can control their chakra. Used for stuff such as wall climbing, water walking and healing jutsu's. I did originally have ninjutsu , genjutsu and taijutsu in here, and was gonna have them add so say like you were using taijutsu , you'd do say 1d20 + str + tai = roll for that, if it beats their AC then you hit and then roll the attack , say it's leaf hurricane, it could be like 3d6 then bam! Ninjutsu would've been 1d20 + int + ninju for roll, then this time if this beats their ac it hits  Genjustu would've been 1d20 + wil + gen for roll then put it against will power I read a d20 naruto thing (didn't like most hence me not using it) but one bit said 1d20 + character level could be "chakra resistance" so the 2 later ones would be under chakra resistance. 5) the basic premise (without spoiling the massive plot which to come) was that it's based after naruto became hokage and it's in a seprate timeline from boruto, so all the main cast will be there but none of the boruto stuff will have happened (haven't actually seen boruto) and the players are part of a new 4 man squad and are essentially owned by all the villages , (but operate in the leaf village) and I was thinking of like sending them on a couple of easy missions first to get them used to it , then give them options (since the teams get to pick quests in naruto) out of a couple of diiffernt options and diffculty, so if they say chose a A rank quest, the XP and rewards would be higher but It'd make it harder , or B wouldn't be as hard but wouldn't have as good loot either, then after that I was gonna have it that the team was summoned and sent somewhere by the joint hokage council after a hokage was assassinated then after doing some more story stuff and them finding the culprit they'd be put on hold again doing quests until more main stuff came up , I do have a good idea for the story main wise, but I like the idea of them choosing missions like you see in naruto too but I ain't sure if it would be boring? to give a hint to the proper story it'd be something like DC with alternative dimensions 6) Races  I was gonna do it like each village is it's own "race" so too speak, the mist village is very assassin heavy so was gonna give them more dex and stuff, was gonna give the thunder village much more toughness since they always seem to be bulk, then have iron village a dex and strength mix (since their samurai) leaf would've been more average since they seem to be like that  7) I was gonna do HP of off con and chakra of off willpower or int (not sure yet) so chakra would be like mana in MMO's , so jutsu's would cost mana and such, and when you go to 50% chakra you'd be fatigued, then 25% majorly fatigued , 0% and your basically a sloth, and the more you expend the more you have to rest after  EDIT 1 8) some games have feats how would I work this in ?  also this start might make it feel too goody-goody regarding alignment ?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
From the Roll20 Community Code of Conduct : The Roll20 Forums exist to discuss topics directly related to the use of the Roll20 program. Anything that more fittingly could be discussed on another website SHOULD be discussed there. Here are some good places to discuss this topic: /r/rpg /r/gamemasters