Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script] [Beta] BeyondImporter - Import DNDBeyond Character Sheets.

I am using the OGL version and the characters import correctly but the sheet is not reading the stat modifiers correctly. Example is I have a 18 dex but my initiative shows as 0 and skill modifier is just my proficiency. Not sure if this is an import issue or sheet issue. I can manual change the dex to say 10 then back to 18 and then the sheet works correctly.

Edited 1585877733
I just imported characters into one of my roll20 games (LMoP).  The characters imported, but all of them didn't import their AC or Init modifier.  I'm using the OGL sheet (default roll20 D&D 5e sheet).  I'm a newbie so I didn't even know what the difference between OGL and Shaped sheets was but now know OGL stands for Open Game License and it's the same as the Roll20 version of the 5E character sheet.  Still not 100% sure what Shaped is, looks to be a custom char sheet that someone developed. All character abilities seem to have imported correctly.  I've deleted and tried again and the AC/Init for each character still do not import correctly. Looks like the Init field is looking for @{initiative_bonus} and that ability doesn't exist in the sheet. If I add it, it will then show what I manually put into that field.
Rob H. said: I just imported characters into one of my roll20 games (LMoP).  The characters imported, but all of them didn't import their AC or Init modifier.  I'm using the OGL sheet (default roll20 D&D 5e sheet).  I'm a newbie so I didn't even know what the difference between OGL and Shaped sheets was but now know OGL stands for Open Game License and it's the same as the Roll20 version of the 5E character sheet.  Still not 100% sure what Shaped is, looks to be a custom char sheet that someone developed. All character abilities seem to have imported correctly.  I've deleted and tried again and the AC/Init for each character still do not import correctly. Looks like the Init field is looking for @{initiative_bonus} and that ability doesn't exist in the sheet. If I add it, it will then show what I manually put into that field. I am having this same issue.
You may see an error in the api window. I imported an echo knight a few days ago and had very few issues. after importing i always go to the character settings page and change the spell casting ability to something else and back. i think i could change anything else but after this the attacks and other stuff is fixed. i really like this importer because beyond20 cant be used for players with a tablet. also it's a shame because of the work which went into this plugin. 
Seems like dndbeyond changed the json.
You can use Beyond20 if you get the Kiwi browser on you tablet. I have tested it, it works.
Fixing the script is beyond my current skills :( Does someone have the time to look into it? The parsing of some objects dont work and I dont understand why.
I don't think anyone is looking after this script any longer.
I don't understand why you see the need to further comment then. I think to further discuss this a new topic would be helpful. We've got 2 replies that it is not working anymore and I want to use it in the near future too. Later I'll try again to understand why it isn't working anymore but I'm not too confident :)
I just bought PRO specifically for this script, as I usually use other programs. So I for one would like it to be updated, it currently doesn't seem to work really. 
I only said this script is no longer looked at because I believe the creator has left Roll20 permanently and there is no one else that wants to take over.

Edited 1586250472
Rebop said: I just bought PRO specifically for this script, as I usually use other programs. So I for one would like it to be updated, it currently doesn't seem to work really.  i figured out that if you go into the sheet settings you can force the stats to populate correctly if u change the modifiers on each stat and skill to +1 then back to 0 it will force the correct abilities to populate somewhat annoying but what can one do. lol. hope that helps
I ran the charactermancer levelup tool after import and changed the +1 (level) to +0 and clicked through the menus, then the AC and attacks populated as expected
keep getting syntax error when trying to install importer file
For those who might be trying to use this still, what's worked for me has been to make sure that the "Simple" settings are enabled on character sheets in campaign settings (screenshot below). This fixed the AC issues for me.  I also had some success with any other (inconsistent) issues by running the Level-Up Charactermancer functionality immediately after importing.  Don't need to actually change anything (just set new level to the current level), but the script running fixed any lingering problems.
I have a need for it to be working, as I'm trying to run AL over roll20, and some (but not all) already have DND beyond AL chars. I have no access to DND Beyond, and have invested heavily in Roll20 (purchasing almost all of the compendiums etc) The usefullness of this script is that the player can with only a few clicks import a complete character during the start time of the game, rather than having to essentially create a new char every time Smurf
Smurf, the sever I run AL games on has been using the Beyond20 extension. I just make them fill out the basic info and ability on the character sheet for my macros. They also need a token tied to the sheet.  (Not Ideal for my style but it seems to work.)
I would love this script to work again because even if DDB is great you cannot have macro with DDB and you have to open a new browser window. For those two reasons having a nice and clean importer would be fantastic ! ;)
I'm going to try and debug the script. Does anyone have an older character json that was working before the D&DBeyond change?

Edited 1588413064
Badz
Pro
I've played around and have AC and Init working. The skills seems more complicated, but at looking at it,
I just tried it out tonight and seeing the same results as others.  For the moment, running the import and then clicking/unclicking options seems to be the quickest way to import.
I had given up on the script working. But I seen new activity on this thread so I decided to re-add the script and try again. Worked on my first try compared to the hours I put into it a few months ago! Thanks for the work guys! you seriously made my day!
In case anyone else runs into the same problem I did, make sure you're using the updated version of the script, located  here  and not the old one. You can easily tell by which commands it responds to. The old import command was `!beyond import`, the updated one is `!beyond --import`. I also did as Michael C recommended and set everything to "Simple"
I've been trying to use the importer. I open the game and copy the script into the chat window. Nothing happens. what am I doing wrong. 
Are you putting the script into chat? or the .json of the character.  The script should go in your API section of the game.
Yes I'm creating a script using the API tool. 
Can anyone update this script to work with: <a href="https://character-service.dndbeyond.com/character/v3/character/" rel="nofollow">https://character-service.dndbeyond.com/character/v3/character/</a> {character ID} Now that the JSON URL no longer works ?
I do believe that DnDBeyond has removed the ability to see it.
<a href="https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d-beyond-general/d-d-beyond-feedback/71065-removed-undocumented-api-endpoints-regarding?comment=110" rel="nofollow">https://www.dndbeyond.com/forums/d-d-beyond-general/d-d-beyond-feedback/71065-removed-undocumented-api-endpoints-regarding?comment=110</a>
Beyond 20 works just fine.
Jerry said: Beyond 20 works just fine. Sadly it negates some of Roll20 API scripts for DM. Since the Roll20 sheet is not used. (As an FYI for some DMs)
Disclaimer: BeyondImporter is not my script, I'm just a dude. I've forked the script and am working on an update to make it compatible with the new character sheet structure.&nbsp; If I have the time and energy I'll see about fixing the import issues around AC and hit points as well.&nbsp; Will update here when I get a working version.
Update: I've got a version which seems to import without crashing (at least during my tests) from the new DDB v3 sheets.&nbsp; Bug fixes to come later.&nbsp; I've opened up issue submission on the repo, please feel free to submit if you run into something; I can't promise it will be fixed, I'm just doing this in free time, but I'll do what I can.&nbsp; Instructions updated for new URL format. <a href="https://github.com/kjbro/Roll20APIScripts/tree/master/BeyondImporter_5eOGL" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/kjbro/Roll20APIScripts/tree/master/BeyondImporter_5eOGL</a>

Edited 1592022555
Kyle B. said: Update: I've got a version which seems to import without crashing (at least during my tests) from the new DDB v3 sheets.&nbsp; Bug fixes to come later.&nbsp; I've opened up issue submission on the repo, please feel free to submit if you run into something; I can't promise it will be fixed, I'm just doing this in free time, but I'll do what I can.&nbsp; Instructions updated for new URL format. <a href="https://github.com/kjbro/Roll20APIScripts/tree/master/BeyondImporter_5eOGL" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/kjbro/Roll20APIScripts/tree/master/BeyondImporter_5eOGL</a> Thanks for looking into this. I've managed to import a character, but as you mention there are many errors in the values such as Proficiency Bonus and such. But we were kind of used to it, and were plugging in fixed values manually in the Attributes/Abilities tab for our formulas to work, so no biggie.
THANK YOU KYLE B.!!!!! I've always admired the script, having the update really screwed me over and my 50+ users of D&amp;D Beyond.&nbsp; Glad you were able to put it together on such short notice!
Fair warning, the script is still buggy as heck.&nbsp; There were already problems with some things (AC, initiative, HP on some imports) as well as the script disregarding some modifiers, and I've discovered some new bugs due to changes in the data structure as well. I'm working out as many bugs as I can for another release (hopefully by this weekend) but it's a slog.&nbsp; If you find any more problems, please file a github issue for me so I can track everything.&nbsp; Given my time limitations, my own testing is sure to miss some things.
I can get a sheet over with the character name but it is 100% blank after that....anyone have that issue?
WR138 (KC) said: I can get a sheet over with the character name but it is 100% blank after that....anyone have that issue? Got it figured out....well I was able to do it, I had a&nbsp; */ that I didnt remove. Kyle B. I can't thank you enough!&nbsp;
Kyle B. said: Fair warning, the script is still buggy as heck.&nbsp; There were already problems with some things (AC, initiative, HP on some imports) as well as the script disregarding some modifiers, and I've discovered some new bugs due to changes in the data structure as well. I'm working out as many bugs as I can for another release (hopefully by this weekend) but it's a slog.&nbsp; If you find any more problems, please file a github issue for me so I can track everything.&nbsp; Given my time limitations, my own testing is sure to miss some things. I've posted on your github files and images of the AC issue, aswell as a new issue concerning using the charactermancer. Hope it helps!
I'm getting a "page not found" error when I add /json after the character number.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The Professor said: I'm getting a "page not found" error when I add /json after the character number. Kyle B addresses this several posts upthread . DDB has changed their site behavior on this point.
Just an update, I'm a bit behind on the bug fixes due to some unexpected overtime this week, but I'm going to be looking into the AC issues later today, amongst other things.&nbsp; Thanks for the additional info, Kanzaki, will take a look at that!
Does the Beyond Importer work with a Plus Subscription, or do you need a Pro?
The GM would need a Pro account to have access to the API. ESForces said: Does the Beyond Importer work with a Plus Subscription, or do you need a Pro?
Thank you Kyle B. &nbsp;I am new to using API scripts and had no clue what was going on because i was following the original video from 2 years ago.
Interesting: I am getting a "Page Not Found" error for all /json URLs now - anybody else having that problem? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
Sean said: Interesting: I am getting a "Page Not Found" error for all /json URLs now - anybody else having that problem? &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; Having the same issue.
use <a href="https://character-service.dndbeyond.com/character/v3/character/ ">https://character-service.dndbeyond.com/character/v3/character/ &lt;char#&gt; replacing &lt;char#&gt; with your char number. &nbsp;
Is anyone getting a script stopping due to loop error? It's not importing my characters, assumedly because it thinks and infinite loop is happening.