Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Masks RPG, Teenage Super Hero game

Hi everyone, I've recently purchased the Masks rpg and I'm looking to run a short term campaign, possible longer depending on how long people want to keep playing. I'm looking for a very role-play centric group namely because the system itself tends to call for it, unlike other rpg systems like D&D with a lot of war game elements to it, Masks is almost strictly narrative based with the mechanics that are more centred around characters emotional state rather than abilities PC's can use. I understand to some this may be off-putting, especially if you enjoy the number crunch aspect of a lot of rpg systems, but if you're looking to try something different and think a superhero rp might be up your alley, consider posting below. A little about me, I'm 26 years old and have roleplaying probably close to 5 years or so, though my gaming experience is limited to pathfinder and d&d 5e. So I'll be honest and say that GMing this game is a little out of my comfort zone, but I'm eager to jump in at the deep end. My current Timezone is BST (GMT+1) and whilst what days we can play are open for discussion, I won't be willing to play past 11pm BST (6pm EST). For more information about the game itself, The major theme of the game is playing young teenage heroes, the best popular comparisons will be shows like Young Justice or My Hero Academia with most of the games emphasis being on emotional development and growth, I mean who wants to play batman when you can play robin. am I right?  A few important notes, whilst this is a superhero themed game centred around angst teenagers with lots of melodrama, I don't want the campaign to be an evil themed one. Whilst its fine and even encouraged to play rebellious teens, I don't want to GM a group of murder hobo's who don't put a value on life or anything for that matter, at the end of the day, this system and the game revolves around the humanity of superheroes. Another note, I'm hoping to recruit a diverse group of players if possible, The MASK's rpg goes to great lengths or representing a diverse group of characters in there system, and I ideally would like that reflected in our group as well. Others may not have experienced this but I've played in a number of homogenous game groups before and their is a noticeable toxicity that tends to accompany that. I know thats not the same for every group out there but its just a patten i've noticed and I'd like to make the extra effort to welcome players of all genders, ethnicities and sexual identities. That being said, I am also going to insist that everyone who applies be 18 or over. Just because I don't want the game to get overly dark it doesn't mean their won't be any mature themes or jokes and the like. (Also the irony of asking a bunch of adults to play teenagers isn't lost on me.) Edit: I should also mention that the game will be played on roll20, and voiced through discord. If interested please fill out the following. Name: Age: Roleplay Experience: Availability and timezone: What kind of themes you like: What kind of themes you dislike: A bit about yourself:
Masks, and PbtA in general, is awesome. Depending on day/time/medium I'd be interested.
PBTA?
Powered by the Apocalypse.
I do not enjoy the number crunching. Have never played this before but would like to.I am avaliable most days from 3 to 9pm EST
ah okay. If you interested in playing do you want to say a bit about yourself? name, age, what kind of character you have in mind, what you like and dislike etc.
thingjob said: I do not enjoy the number crunching. Have never played this before but would like to.I am avaliable most days from 3 to 9pm EST Sorry, But I don't think our times are going to match up. I don't wanna play past 10pm really, 11 at the latest and the earliest you can play my time is 8pm.
I'm Longspeak, longtime gamer, more GM than player, but some games make it worthwhile. I don't have an idea yet, but will soon. My play preferences are interaction and RP. Combat is fine when there's a reason. Games using more interesting conflict resolution make it less bothersome. I've played and run other Apocalypse inspired games, but not Masks specifically. I like text only games, but can handle voice over discord or roll20. My iffiest thing is day and time. Job and other commitments, including my own games, mean I won't commit until we know the day and time works. But, once committed, I'll be all in. Happy to supply a few more details over discord or PMs if you like.
Best of luck expanding your comfort zone!
Masks is my current obsession, and I happen to be in a GMT+1 zone myself! Name: Thomas Age: 26 Roleplay Experience: 10 years' worth of IRL and PbP gaming. I've played every edition of D&D since 2e, PF, dabbled in some Shadowrun, and lately, Masks. Availability and timezone: Timezone is GMT+1 (for now; we don't have DST here, so it shifts depending on the season). Availability is currently weekday evenings, and open on weekends. Towards the end of May it will open up further. What kind of themes you like: I'm game for a lot of stuff, but it depends on the system. Masks is superheroes mixed with teen angst, and I prefer to keep most stuff PG-13, at least on-panel. My favorite shows tend to be stuff aimed at young adults that have a deft hand when dealing with mature themes. And, as a hero game, I definitely prefer to stick with actual heroing, even if it's dealing with the difficulties of learning moral limits. What kind of themes you dislike: For a game like Masks, outright murder shouldn't really be on the table, except as a major plot/character moment. Likewise, overt sex and drug use just don't fit the tone of the game, in my opinion. A bit about yourself: I graduated from university going on two years ago, and I'm currently doing a stint as a volunteer in central Africa. I recently came across 4 omnibus tomes of The Savage Sword of Conan comics, which I've been loving. My favorite color is either burgundy or orange, kangaroos are my favorite animal, and I think Myers-Briggs is astrology pretending to be psychology. I have Opinions on lots of things (probably too many things), but I enjoy hearing other people's take, especially when it's well-considered.

Edited 1524347609
Hai I really love the concept and would be interested in hopping on board if you'd have me! Name: Parker Age: 19 Rp Experience: About 2 years of ttrpg stuff, but have been playing around with loose systems for about 5 years Timezone is PST, but I am incredibly flexible. Currently working my own hours so I can definitely work around everyone else's schedule. I love rp and lighter mechanics driven games, so what your planning sounds pretty NEATO. I hate meta-gaming and immersion breaking ideas, and am fully committed to remaining in character when needed. A bit about me: Played Violin for 7 years now, big fan of movies and theatre, and have been involved in stage works for about the same time. Not much else to say really. I enjoy editing and playing my heckin sweet viola. Lemme know if you think id be a good fit, but I get it if it doesnt look like itll work. :D Edit: Realized I hadnt put in a character concept, thats my bad. How would you like them formatted? Would you like a kind of personality as well as powers, or did you have more in mind?

Edited 1524355270
is there any more room if we can make out the time zone since i am from the Uk i always wanted to try the mask game sadly the mask my hero axcimanic game i was faill apart  all i need to know where to find books and if i can join i will happly play just need to learn rules and char making so on Name:ryan Age:26 Roleplay Experience: played some fates . blades in the dark shadow run eddtin and fair bit of pathfinder Availability and timezone: only days i cant do is mondays but i am good for almost an time in the uk What kind of themes you like: give anything a shot really What kind of themes you dislike: none A bit about yourself: not the smartest guy but i will try to learn new systesm fast and just try to have fun with people playing
If you could run it friday afternoons your time id love to join I haven't played too many PbtA games but i have played enough to get the general idea of them down. As for general roleplaying experience, i've been playing for going on eight or so years now, running for half of that time and have played many different kinds of systems to the point where i pick up a new system quite quickly. Themes I like: Well in a teen supers kind of game I like to experience the themes of responsibility (i.e. do i go out with the hot cheerleader or stop the bank robbery), morality (i.e is it okay if i beat up this bully or why is it not okay) and learning to handle the seriousness of the life (i.e. hey when people get shot they may die). I also like to have a bit of romance as well. Themes i don't like: i dislike any type of sexual issues in most games, if the characters are old enough im fine to say they have consensual sex while the screen fades to black but leave it at that. Other than that im fine with most stuff as long as its tastefully done. A bit about me: I I like to have fun so there are a few times when id have my character walk into the obvious trap either a) because thats what they'd do or b) because its a trope and it will make the game more interesting. I also typically play characters that are assholes but who eventually grow as people. and as i mentioned before i like a bit of romance for my characters as not only is  it a fun rp side it also gives great story hooks. Character Concept: For a concept i have the idea of a kid whose parent was a shapeshifter villain. As far as the kid is aware he biologically has the one parent and he has been taught very odd rules, i.e don't trust policemen, if it's not nailed down and you can get away with it it's yours. However other than a few minor villain type quirks he is a kid who genuinly likes people and does want to help them. His powers ofcourse are shapeshifting as far as i can take it but only shapeshifting
your running a 2 hour game? whats the point?
thingjob said: your running a 2 hour game? whats the point? He isnt running a 2 hour game. Based on the times you have available, you could only play for two hours on his schedule. ._.