Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Designing Scaled Success Roll Template for Monster of the Week

Monster of the Week is a very simple system, but there's a great deal of choices available to the players depending on the type of roll being made and the level of success achieved.  For example, rolling high enough to Kick Some Ass lets you choose a +1 damage bonus, prevent damage to yourself, OR a roll bonus going forward.  I'd rather my players not have to scope the Player Reference every time they roll since they're new to the game, so I'm trying to do the work and code all of these options into macros.  Sadly, MotW seems to have no templates I can use, so I rebuilt the MotW sheet in Custom mode in order to make my own template.  The question from here: How can I build this template in the simplest way possible?  I am decent with macros but have a very limited understanding of the HTML used to create the templates.  I'm trying to tinker with a Star Wars Saga Edition template but there's just so much going on that I don't know how to turn it into mine without destroying the code. Here's all I need: A +Skill roll that can be applied to any of the 2d6 rolls in the game A readout for a Failure result (less than 7) A few readouts for a Mixed result (7-9) A few readouts for a Successful result (10-12) That's it!  I know I need to be using some #rollbetween stuff, and I get the principle behind it, but I am having a lot of trouble getting how it all fits together.  The examples in the wiki aren't helping me very much; they all focus heavily on critical hits, which don't apply in MOTW, making it kinda hard to tell which pieces are vital for functioning templates.

Edited 1524261745
Dana Lexa
Sheet Author
I'm (slowly) working on a sheet for Fellowship, another PbtA game. I just copied the character sheet for  Apocalypse World and started modifying it to what I needed, including the roll result template.
Author X said: I'm (slowly) working on a sheet for Fellowship, another PbtA game. I just copied the character sheet for  Apocalypse World and started modifying it to what I needed, including the roll result template. Ok, cool, that looks like what I need... Now I just can't get the macro to work.  Here's my code: &{template:sheet-rolltemplate-aw} {{name=@{name}}} {{roll_name=to investigate a mystery}} {{roll_mod=@{Sharp}}} {{result=[[2D6+@{Sharp}+?{Bonus}]]}} But it's not being parsed at all. Any idea what I'm missing? (The table HTML, for reference:) <rolltemplate class="sheet-rolltemplate-aw"> <table> <tr><th colspan="2">{{name}}<br/><span data-i18n="rolls">rolls</span>{{#roll_name}} {{roll_name}}{{/roll_name}}{{#roll_mod}}({{roll_mod}}){{/roll_mod}}</th></tr> <tr> {{#rollGreater() result 9}} <td class="result success">{{result}}</td> <td><span data-i18n="succeeds">Succeeds</span></td> {{/rollGreater() result 9}} {{#rollBetween() result 7 9}} <td class="result">{{result}}</td> <td><span data-i18n="succeeds-partially">Succeeds partially</span></td> {{/rollBetween() result 7 9}} {{#rollLess() result 7}} <td class="result failure">{{result}}</td> <td><span data-i18n="misses">Misses</span></td> {{/rollLess() result 7}} </tr> </table> </rolltemplate>
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Try changing the template call from &{template:sheet-rolltemplate-aw} to &{template:aw}
G G said: Try changing the template call from &{template:sheet-rolltemplate-aw} to &{template:aw} Well, dang, that worked.  Thanks!  I notice it’s coming out a little funky; the success readout and the word “Rolls” come out red and in a rectangle, rather than being integrated into the design like they are when I test the macro in an AW game.  Any idea why that’s happening? Also, from here I just want to load in the different bonuses, glitches, etc. for each action macro to display according to the degree of success.  Is the template able to handle that from here, or do I need to to some tweaking?  Do I need to make “result1”, “result2”, etc?  Or will that just render it useless?

Edited 1524311494
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
"I notice it’s coming out a little funky; the success readout and the word “Rolls” come out red and in a rectangle, rather than being integrated into the design like they are when I test the macro in an AW game. Any idea why that’s happening?" This will be a CSS issue, you'll need to check how your CSS blocks overlap. This can be very arduous and frustrating when you dont really understand CSS (I am already anticipating your pain, from memory). If using Chrome, you can right-click on part of output in the chat window, select Inspect (you can do this with Firefox too, but it might be called something else). This will reveal the CSS being applied at the point you clicked, so you can click around and investigate what styles are being applied, and experiment with altering them. (Also posting your CSS for the template and all the styles used in it might reveal an issue.) I cant answer the second part without knowing what exactly you want to put in the rolltemplate.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
If a word is showing up red, it's worth checking the translation file. Look for a line like this: "rolls": "rolls", Where the word rolls is replaced by whichever words are showing up red. If that line exists, then it's probably a css error as GG said. If the line doesn't exist, add it and it should fix the problem.
If using Chrome, you can right-click on part of output in the chat window, select Inspect (you can do this with Firefox too, but it might be called something else). This will reveal the CSS being applied at the point you clicked, so you can click around and investigate what styles are being applied, and experiment with altering them. Ah yes, I think I actually figured out how to change it while I'm inspecting... Now, er, where do I go to change it permanently?  I can't find any instances of the "red" I can delete in the campaign CSS. My experiments with the template are, as I feared, mostly failing.  Here's an example of what I want to do: For a "Protect Someone" roll, I want the player to roll the macro, see their result, and if it's a 10-12 I want to display the message: You suffer little harm (-1 harm). All impending danger is now focused on you. You inflict harm on the enemy.  You hold the enemy back. But only  if they roll a 10-12.  Meanwhile, if they roll 7-9 it should display:  You protect them okay, but you’ll suffer some or all of the harm they were going to get. Does that help?  Here's the macro that I'm failing to implement... I thought if I changed the 3 instances of {{result}} in the html to corresponding {{resultS}}, {{resultM}}, etc. it would work, but I was mistaken. &{template:aw}  {{name=@{name}}}  {{roll_name=to investigate a mystery!}}  {{roll_mod=@{Sharp}}}  {{resultS=[[2D6+@{Sharp}]]}}  {{resultP=[[2D6+@{Sharp}]]}} {{resultM=[[2D6+@{Sharp}]]}}

Edited 1524314750
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ryan B. said: Ah yes, I think I actually figured out how to change it while I'm inspecting... Now, er, where do I go to change it permanently?  I can't find any instances of the "red" I can delete in the campaign CSS. You need to add the translation file to your campaign. The red text in square brackets is a result of missing translations, as Kirsty said, it's not part of the sheet CSS.

Edited 1524314663
Jakob
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Here's an example of what I want to do: *snip* Alright, as a basic first version, send two more properties with your roll button: {{success-text=You suffer little harm (-1 harm). All impending danger is now focused on you. You inflict harm on the enemy. You hold the enemy back.}}{{partial-success-text=You protect them okay, but you’ll suffer some or all of the harm they were going to get.}} Then, in the HTML, after the end of the tr but before the end of the table, add {{#rollGreater() result 9}} <tr><td colspan="2">{{success-text}}</td></tr> {{/rollGreater() result 9}} {{#rollBetween() result 7 9}} <tr><td colspan="2">{{partial-success-text}}</td></tr> {{/rollBetween() result 7 9}}
Got it.  Translation working, additional text working.  Thank you!  I learned quite a lot from this one exercise...