Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Visibility of Token Bars - Dynamic Lighting

If it's possible, I think it would be fantastic if the bars that tokens are able to have could be divorced from dynamic lighting restrictions, to prevent health bars from either being hidden behind walls, or being visible from the other side of a wall and thereby revealing the presence of a hidden monster.  I'll use some pictures to illustrate my point. When players are in a room, and dynamic lighting with line of sight enforced is active, a monster's health bar can be blocked by walls, even if the entire monster is visible.  Here's an example; on the left you see the view from the dungeon master's screen (which has the ability to see the whole map), while on the right you have the player's view.  Note that the player can't see the entire health bar for the critter, therefore doesn't know that the bad guy is damaged. Meanwhile, if there is a monster that is completely hidden from the party, but 'below' the players on the map and adjacent to a wall, the creature's health bar will peek through the wall and reveal the presence of the monster before the party should know that it's there.  Below you'll see what I mean; the two demon knights are lying in wait to ambush the group, but since one is near the wall, the party can see that something is there, even if they don't know what. Now, I know the short-term fix for these problems: move the monster to the GM layer until the ambush starts, or something similar.  What I think would be good though is if the bars could be visible/not visible based on whether or not the party can see the creature.  So in the examples above, the big monster from image 1 would have a visible health bar, while the bar on the uppermost monster in image 2 would be hidden. From a dev standpoint (which I know isn't solicited, but I figured I'd offer an idea at least) it would be great if every token had a 2x2 pixel dot (or whatever size is deemed appropriate) at its center, and if a player can see any part of that dot, then all bars which can be visible are visible, entirely.  This would prevent accidentally being able to peek through walls, having health bars blocked when the creature's health should be apparent, and it makes a certain kind of sense; if you can see the 'center mass' of a creature, then you can accurately guess at its health. Questions, comments, snide remarks?  Or failing that, has this already been suggested?  I looked but didn't find anything like it.
Well this doesn't necessarily help your problem, but I never show enemy bars to players anyway, so one option would be just to hide the bars so they don't show up.
Thanks for the suggestion! After 30 days, Suggestions and Ideas with fewer than 10 votes are closed and the votes are refunded to promote freshness. Your suggestion didn't build the right momentum this time, but feel free to submit it again! We find that the best suggestions describe the problem you are having, and the solution you want. You can learn more about the process of making suggestions on the Roll20 Wiki! More details can be found here .