Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Who uses macros and abilities?

I'm curious as to how people usually make use of macros and abilities. That is, I want to know, in your games, whether they're set up by GMs for the players to use, and they have to use them the way they're presented, or if GMs just leave it to players to build whatever convenience macros and abilities they like. So, as a GM, do you carefully set up global macros for everyone to use, and then mandate their use? Do you create generic or customized abilities on characters before you hand them over to players and expect them to be used? Or do you just create an empty character and let players make whatever useful abilities they can think of? I'm not asking what one SHOULD do; I'm asking what all you people DO do. I'm curious if everyone does more or less the same thing, or if there's a variety of techniques.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I bet this will vary widely from game to game. =D In my own games where I'm GM, I have several convenience macros that I share with players: An "End of Turn" macro that calls !eot, a "Light Options" macro that calls a very complicated !token-mod, that sort of thing.  I have a ton of other macros that I use in game for things I want to do quickly with the mouse such as Group Initiative calls, Bump calls, Light calls, Special script commands for the encounters I'm running (Blatant Dismissal, Special Zone scripts, etc), and a bunch of world building things for sizing, rotating randomly, distributing tokens, etc.  For abilities, I tend to leave that to players, though sometimes I'll add something to their character that they might find useful, like Toggling Hunter's Mark with a !token-mod command, which I'll set as a Token Action.  I never set Macros as token actions because of how it breaks the ordering. In games I've played in, the GM similarly provides a few starter macros.  I then add a bunch of macros for things I'll find useful during the game (like toggling Bless markers with !token-mod, or calling repeats on commonly used spells like Evard's Black Tentacles), or even thinks like dumping meme's for Face Palm, Yes, Fail, etc to the chat. =D  I rarely add abilities directly to characters as I'm using the Shaped Sheet and its own action mechanics generally handle all that I want to do.  The exception to that is when I want to set up some complicated mechanics for home brew or unsupported features.  (Last night I set up a Mystic character and Psi Points are not in Shaped yet, so I added some extra abilities to let me easily reset on long rest, etc.  Usually, I'll add abilities and put them as Token Actions when I have some utility things I want to do often.  Evard's as I mentioned earlier I've done as a Token Action ability instead of a macro.  Toggling various things, or even some things the character does fairly often.  Sometimes I'll have macros or abilities geared toward sending reminders to the DM about special circumstances (like my Warlock being able to see Magic, or using certain rituals as common practice while in town, etc).   I guess my player division between Abilities and Macros depends largely on if I need to have a token selected to perform it, or if I have more than one character active in the game and want access to things outside of having to select a specific token. Cheers!
MSG
Pro
Sheet Author
I set up some macros for the players as token actions, but I still allow them to make their own if they want.  However, I don't typically make them mandatory to use, they're more of a convenience to them so they don't have to make their own for it (some may be too complex for them - as they make use of calling API scripts). At the same time, I try to encourage them to make their own for some they may want a "shortcut" for, so they don't have to type the whole command out every time.  We use Ventrilo for our voice chat, so most of us don't like typing in the first place.  It's much easier for them to click a button than to type everything out.  :) Bottom line - I make some macros, but don't mandate their use.  I like letting the players decide if they want to use them or not (but they usually do use them).
I make most of their macros. Almost every function is in a macro. I am obsessive, so when they shoot a gun, smoke comes up, a gunshot sound plays and it pulls everything off of their sheets and rolls the damage, dragons spew fire, roar... I realize I spend way too much time on this, but I have learned the ropes sufficiently to nearly do it in my sleep. I also build really detailed scenes with detailed lighting... From last year's Saturnalia Party at Dirty Frank's Bar.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I have given my players complete freedom to make whatever macros they wish. To date, I do not think they have made a single macro. I have made hundreds, especially if you count API-generated token macros. There is a decidedly lopsided amount of technical expertise in our group, where the average age is ~55. I give them macros to control commonly used abilities, roll initiative, toggle advantage, and lately, generate characters. I use them to do almost anything that can possibly be automated. I want to think about the interface as little as possible when running the game. We have 4 gms in our group, 3 of whom will use Roll20 (one is table top only; we play by Skype). One other DM is on a free account, and uses only the clickable things on character sheets. The other plays on a game I created. I am logged in as a co-GM when he runs, so that I can keep things running smoothly. I am the only subscriber.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
What keithcurtis said...almost exactly...word for word...only, we don't have a face-to-face group, since we are all scattered across the States. Otherwise, yep, I mirror his comment.
We use powercards combined with sounds and FX. They are mostly done by me. But most of my players are capable of creating their own by now.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
al e. said: I make most of their macros. Almost every function is in a macro. I am obsessive, so when they shoot a gun, smoke comes up, a gunshot sound plays and it pulls everything off of their sheets and rolls the damage, dragons spew fire, roar... I realize I spend way too much time on this, but I have learned the ropes sufficiently to nearly do it in my sleep. I also build really detailed scenes with detailed lighting... I'm in this bracket too... my long running 3.5e game has a macro (centred primarily around the powercards API script) for everything, at last count I had ~1000 of them in game (mostly spells to be fair) and another ~3000 spells prepped and ready for finishing touches should they be needed. 3.5 has too many spells to be fair but my players love the convenience of having everything covered, makes for smooth play even if it also means grey hair for me lol!
Sounds like you have perfected the art of creating quick Powercards Ziechael.... :D What's your secret? I know there was a program of some sort a couple of years back but as far as I know that was aimed at 4ed.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm a massive fan of wasting hours developing spreadsheets to take bulk data and create standardised powercards, they are very particular to my setup (sfx, fx, save button for player convenience, additional api call integration for tokenmod/chatsetattr etc) but using 3.5e csv data I was able to get all of the spells done with just a few moments tweaking needed for a final product each time a monster/player needs a particular spell. I also have generators for attacks (covering BaB 1-4, sneak attack, dual wield, power attack, grapple and poison mechanics as well as ammo automation and other goodies such as nested attack options built in) and one for quickly creating misc abilities. I'm borderline OCD to be honest but I do love a good spreadsheet ;)
As a player I've made quite a few simple macros in my current game. I have some that are for things that I use frequently. Others I have made to include things the features in the character sheet don't automatically take account for, extra damage, effects, and things like that. Also it's fun just to add little emotes as flavor text before an action. Makes the experience more interesting.
Spredsheets? Any chance of you sharing this magic so that I can take a look? :D 
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ravenknight said: Spredsheets? Any chance of you sharing this magic so that I can take a look? :D  I'll see if I can create some sanitised versions suitable for pubic viewing sure, I'll have to ensure that only SRD content is in the spells example due to me not being able to afford a prolonged legal battle lol. Will post back (likely tomorrow, GMT here) when there is something that might make sense to others available (like I say, they are very specific to my setup!) :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ziechael, you're a gamer after my own heart. I have a dedicated Google sheet with tabs and tabs of parsing setups.
I like to create my own power cards, and at one point was making them out of the default template because that particular game had no character sheet.  I know nothing at all about APIs and their use, so I do everything with macros - which does mean that my limited skills are applicable to any game no matter what the GM has added or not added.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Ravenknight said: Spredsheets? Any chance of you sharing this magic so that I can take a look? :D&nbsp; This is the best I could do without obsessing over it for an entire day/weekend: <a href="https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sE0AoSwsNo" rel="nofollow">https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1sE0AoSwsNo</a>... It's annotated with comments where necessary as I have a custom character sheet and somewhat non-standard token setup as well as the use of some bespoke API scripts but if nothing else it might help form the basis of someone else's obsession. Spells are all SRD and include a large amount of Roll20 friendly code but not all of them have been fine tuned for use in the VTT... and of course some of their setup is specific to my game ;) And to keep this on-topic, OP, I'm sure you can see from this exchange that macro use varies from game to game, some people use the sheet rolls exclusively and some of us take it to extremes and spend WAY too much time on it... most fall somewhere in the middle I'd assume lol
Thank you! Much appreciated. ( Gah, I derailed the thread didn't I? :P )
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
As a GM, I use quite a few macros. MonsterSetup - uses TokenMod to roll health for my monsters, set up the bars and adjust sight Calendar - calls my calendar script and allows me to advance the date RandomEncounters - uses rollable tables to test if a random encounter happens and what it will be (I also use the recursive tables API for this so that it can roll 1d4 goblins or whatever) Initiative - calls the trackerjacker API and starts, stops, clears the turn order. It also sets status icons on tokens and starts our battlemusic. Loot - Rolls up random loot based on CR Magic Store - Rolls up magic items and prices in magic stores Carousing - Pulls from a very silly rollable table for nights when the players decide to let loose in town Those are the ones I always have. Then depending on the situation, I'll often add more for each session. For example if the players are going to be fighting something with a ballista, I've got a ballista macro. Or if they're in a foggy cave, I might set up a vision macro to adjust their vision as they enter the fog. My players are welcome (and encouraged) to make their own macros but most choose not to, preferring to roll from the sheet. I set them up with some macros on their tokens that call API scripts. Much like The Aaron's setup, I have a "Light" macro that allows everyone to set their own light sources using TokenMod. I've also got an "End Turn" macro that is used in conjunction with the TrackerJacker API. Everyone also gets an initiative macro. Then I may set them up with special macros (shapechangers, for example) depending on their class or abilities. As a player, I mostly roll from my sheet though I do like to set myself up with an initiative macro if the GM hasn't done that. If I'm playing a caster, I might set myself up with ongoing damage macros for spells so that I don't have to fill up chat with spell descriptions when only damage is necessary.
Thanks for all the answers so far. I notice a lot of these are from GMs providing interfaces for otherwise complex API scripts. What about something more along the lines of game policy? Does anyone mandate that, for instance, saving throws must be made using the game-approved method, or do people let players roll these things any old way: one person created an ability using a roll template, while another just types out rolls every time, while another created an ability using a bunch of chat commands to dress it up? How much consistency do GMs require in their games, or is it a free-for-all?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Games I've been in, it's generally free-for-all.&nbsp; Some people use the sheets, some use paper sheets and just roll a die and announce the total, some use paper sheets and physical dice and just announce the total.&nbsp; Dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria!!!
I have only run a couple of games so far, but I don't mind how the player generates their results. However if a player is having trouble understanding how to do something, or query how to make things more efficient for them,&nbsp; I will gently nudge them towards a macro I may have prepared beforehand.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
My experience echoes that of The Aaron. I don't really care, as long as everyone is engaged. Mostly, I just don't want to have to think about the interface mid-game, and make it as streamlined as possible.
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
I agree with keithcurtis. It doesn't matter how they roll, it's more about making the game run smoothly and seamlessly. If I need to add more monsters mid-battle, I want it to happen with the click of a button so that my players aren't waiting around while I adjust the tokens and roll health. Or if something unexpected happens, I can call a ten minute break and have a small improvised dungeon ready to go by the time they get back.&nbsp;
Gold
Forum Champion
David T. said: What about something more along the lines of game policy? Does anyone mandate that, for instance, saving throws must be made using the game-approved method, or do people let players roll these things any old way: one person created an ability using a roll template, while another just types out rolls every time, while another created an ability using a bunch of chat commands to dress it up? How much consistency do GMs require in their games, or is it a free-for-all? It starts as closer-to-free-for-all early in the group's time together, but gradually becomes more standardized as GM and leading-players help to teach the newer players how we use & configure the interface. Helping fellow players to make their Character's macros as cool & matching the ones of the experienced players who do it "our way". My players don't use the Sheet Rolls at all. Players use Token Actions (for anything that requires a Selected Token), and some Macros along the bottom (Macro Quick Bar area; for ones that don't need a token selected, such as a quick d20 button). As GM I provide a few default-standard Token Actions (from both Collections tab of Roll20 which can be called Global Macros; and on Abilities section of a Character which is more accessible for copying/editing by Players). For example, my Players roll a To-Hit roll with the verbose: /me Attacking with my sword! /r d20 + 2 but we do the Damage with the yellowbox inline rolls, like so: If that's a hit then the sword inflicts [[d8+2]] damage. That's just a tradition of our gaming group, helps to visually differentiate the Hit Roll from the Damage dice on quick glance.&nbsp; When a newer player joins and doesn't know how to make their damage roll [[inline]] yet, we show them how to.
Kirsty said: As a GM, I use quite a few macros. MonsterSetup - uses TokenMod to roll health for my monsters, set up the bars and adjust sight Calendar - calls my calendar script and allows me to advance the date RandomEncounters - uses rollable tables to test if a random encounter happens and what it will be (I also use the recursive tables API for this so that it can roll 1d4 goblins or whatever) Initiative - calls the trackerjacker API and starts, stops, clears the turn order. It also sets status icons on tokens and starts our battlemusic. Loot - Rolls up random loot based on CR Magic Store - Rolls up magic items and prices in magic stores Carousing - Pulls from a very silly rollable table for nights when the players decide to let loose in town Those are the ones I always have. Then depending on the situation, I'll often add more for each session. For example if the players are going to be fighting something with a ballista, I've got a ballista macro. Or if they're in a foggy cave, I might set up a vision macro to adjust their vision as they enter the fog. My players are welcome (and encouraged) to make their own macros but most choose not to, preferring to roll from the sheet. I set them up with some macros on their tokens that call API scripts. Much like The Aaron's setup, I have a "Light" macro that allows everyone to set their own light sources using TokenMod. I've also got an "End Turn" macro that is used in conjunction with the TrackerJacker API. Everyone also gets an initiative macro. Then I may set them up with special macros (shapechangers, for example) depending on their class or abilities. As a player, I mostly roll from my sheet though I do like to set myself up with an initiative macro if the GM hasn't done that. If I'm playing a caster, I might set myself up with ongoing damage macros for spells so that I don't have to fill up chat with spell descriptions when only damage is necessary. What do you use to generate the random loot per CR? As well as the Magic Store?
Kirsty
Pro
Sheet Author
Anthony, sent you a PM so as not to hijack the thread.