Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Help nesting macros into drop downs.

I'm trying to help my players make their macros more condensed and easier to use. I've gotten the hang of the single tier drop down, but the dual layer has me stumped. This is the structure for what I'm trying to move everything into; ?{Actions| Attacks, ?{Attacks| Regular, ?{value1A| | Label 1Aii, value1Aii } | Lesser Ki, ?{Lesser Ki| Label 1Bi, value1Bi | Label 1Bii, value1Bii } } | Ki Abilities, ?{Least Ki| Least Ki, ?{value1A| XXX, XXX | Label 1Aii, value1Aii } | Lesser Ki, ?{Lesser Ki| Label 1Bi, value1Bi | Label 1Bii, value1Bii } } | Forms, ?{Forms| XXX, ?{value1A| XXX, XXX | Label 1Aii, value1Aii } | XXXX, ?{Super XXX| Label 1Bi, value1Bi | Label 1Bii, value1Bii } } |} The Macro style I'm trying to get into there that keeps messing up on me.  &{template:default} {{name=Punch}} {{attack=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{damage=[[1d6+5]] x2 for Crit }} {{Crit Confirm?=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{Damage Type= Bludgeoning }}| &{template:default} {{name=Flurry of Blows 1 }} {{attack=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{damage=[[1d6+5]] x2 for Crit }} {{Crit Confirm?=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{Notes 1= Bludgeoning Damage }} &{template:default} {{name=Flurry of Blows 2 }} {{attack=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{damage=[[1d6+5]] x2 for Crit }} {{Crit Confirm?=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{Damage Type= Bludgeoning }}| I know that there's characters that I have to substitute, and the & is one if I read right, to &  I appreciate any and all help! I've tried again to get it to work, but it seems like I'm still missing something. I've gotten the menu right again, but something's still breaking inside of the template. I'm substituting all four characters in the macro. | ; , & Is there one that I'm missing possibly? 
Not meaning to double post, but which way is the best to post the macros without having them all messed up by the forum.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You can use the Code style in the Pilcrow ( ¶ ) Menu.
Alright, I've gotten the framework set up better for the average player. But I'm still running into trouble getting the Template Macro to work properly, the attack part for instance, Macro->Attack->Standard-> Fist. But when I go to place the attack's macro in it's breaking that portion, I've been trying at it for about 2 weeks now and it's really starting to irk me. The original drop down menu that I was using. I can't seem to get the template portion in without it breaking. ?{Attacks:|  Punch,   &{template:default} {{name=Punch}} {{attack=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{damage=[[1d6+5]] x2 for Crit }} {{Crit Confirm?=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{Damage Type= Bludgeoning }}| Flurry, &{template:default} {{name=Flurry of Blows 1 }} {{attack=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{damage=[[1d6+5]] x2 for Crit }} {{Crit Confirm?=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{Notes 1= Bludgeoning Damage }} &{template:default} {{name=Flurry of Blows 2 }} {{attack=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{damage=[[1d6+5]] x2 for Crit }} {{Crit Confirm?=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{Damage Type= Bludgeoning }}|  } The Drop Down Menu ?{Name of Query|    Attacks, ?{value1|       StandardA, ?{value1A|          Fist, value1Ai |          Weapon, value1Aii       } |              Full, ?{value1B|          Fist, value1Bi |          Weapon, value1Bii       }    } |    Spells, ?{value2|       Label 1A, ?{value1A|          Label 1Ai, value1Ai |          Label 1Aii, value1Aii       } |              Label 1B, ?{value1B|          Label 1Bi, value1Bi |          Label 1Bii, value1Bii       }    } |    Abilities, ?{value2|       Label 1A, ?{value1A|          Label 1Ai, value1Ai |          Label 1Aii, value1Aii       } |              Label 1B, ?{value1B|          Label 1Bi, value1Bi |          Label 1Bii, value1Bii       }    } |  }  }
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've fiddled with it for 20 minutes. No luck. :(
This portion going in &{template:default} {{name=Punch}} {{attack=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{damage=[[1d6+5]] x2 for Crit }} {{Crit Confirm?=[[1d20cs>20+6[AttackBonus]+?{Penalties/Bonuses?}]] vs AC}} {{Damage Type= Bludgeoning }}| Just something about it messes up, I've replaced all of the proper | , ; &  This problem really irks me as it would save a lot of space if I could get it figured out properly... I've noticed that anything outside of basic rolls ie /r1d20+2 or [1d20+2] it doesn't wanna work, it's seems to be something with the template code going that far in...   &{template  is the start of all the trouble.

Edited 1528236371
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Hey Dr.Strangelove , You're missing a few needed "amp;"s  within your Roll Template code: ?{Name of Query|    Attacks, ?{value1|       Standard, ?{value1A|          Fist, &{template:default & #125; {{Hello=World & #125; & #125; |          Weapon, value1Aii       } |              Label 1B, ?{value1B|          Label 1Bi, value1Bi |          Label 1Bii, value1Bii       }    } |    Label 2, ?{value2|value2} } Every level of nesting requires additional "amp;"s. Hope this helps!
Thank you so much for your help!
Silvyre
Forum Champion
You're very welcome! Happy rolling!
I was trying to mess with a 4th drop down menu, but to no avail. I've managed to add another layer under fist, but I couldn't get it to work under weapon. Have a player wanting to run an Erza Scarlett type character.
Silvyre
Forum Champion
If you post a picture of the macro (or post the macro with HTML entities intact ), I could take a look
Silvyre
Forum Champion
Your Roll Template code needs an additional 'layer' of "amp;"s. You should have one more layer of "amp;"s in your Roll Template code than you do in the Roll Query code that immediately contains the Roll Template code. For example, since Label 1ai of the Roll Query code is followed by a comma that is encoded using two "amp;"s, the following Roll Template code (i.e. taking the place of 'Value 1ai') should make use of three "amp;"s.
So, inside the query is should be &#44 ?  And thank you so much for the help, I was getting rather discouraged there for a while. 
Silvyre
Forum Champion
I don't see any commas within your Roll Template code, only closing curly braces, so you shouldn't have to have any instances of , around. Another thing I just noticed is that you have two nested Queries that share the same name ("value1A"); you'll want to change the name of one of them.
#44 was the first one I saw, was trying to make sure the premise was correct. Suppose &#135 would have been a better choice. And yeah, I tend to use the base code and just copy pasta the bits I need before I add to it.