Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Will Roll20 work for me?

Hi, I messed with Roll20 a tiny bit a while back....and never did anything in-depth with it. I'm on DSL with a fairly low band width...so, I was wondering...will I be able to store images and music somewhere other than my computer. (maybe a cloud account) and trigger these things (thus making the players download them)? If I can just upload things and only use my internet for piece movement and chat/video...I may have enough power to run sessions? Am I correct in my thinking here?
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Assets used for your account are stored on roll20 and thus would be shown to everyone in the game by the roll20 servers.  Each person's connection and computer would determine their own performance/experience.  Your upload speed will dictate how long it takes to upload images, but this is often done as part of your game prep and therefore wouldn't affect an active game.  Free subscription (unless you need the extra perks of the plus or pro...), so why not give it a spin? ;-P 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
I have ran roll20 games using my phone as a hotspot and did not run into issues but as Vince mentions, give it a try.
Thank you for the info (Vince and Pat)...that's very encouraging!
Andrew R.
Pro
Sheet Author
Yes. I run 13th Age over DSL with Discord audio with no problems. I use the API, but not Dynamic Lighting.
Andrew...That's GOOD to know! I was considering something similar. Video seems like a waste and a distraction when considering tabletop RPGing.