Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

What do you like from the marketplace?

I've browsed around quite a bit and wonder what people mostly look for when on the marketplace.  Is it just straight encounter maps for quick play?  Do you like the large adventures?  More tokens?  Just a general theme of maps from the same artist?  How often do you personally or someone you know buy a pre-designed adventure like the Curse of Strahd for example.(I know it's free)  Is that something people are really even interested in? I ask simply because I may become a content creator in the near future and I'd like to contribute stuff that people will actually enjoy, thank you for your time!
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I'm a bit of an odd duck. I am an industry freelancer, and create stuff similar to what is on the marketplace, but never for myself. If I have to make maps or tokens for my own game, I'll nearly always use someone else's labor. So I prefer construction kits: things that give me the tools to quickly create what I need. Tiles for the most part.
Gold
Forum Champion
Curse isn't free. The Master's Vault is though. I love the map packs especially large pre-assembled ready-to-play maps (more so than tiles and furniture pieces... for me). Tokens are also cool, especially a lot of games like to use a consistent set of tokens across the game (or at least matching for the characters, or for the monsters).  My favorite product categories would be Modules (adventures) and yes I like the smaller original publishers (not just the big mainstream industry-licensed ones).  Another great Marketplace category is Add-Ons, which can contain useful Card Decks and pre-assembled Map Pages.
Gold said: Curse isn't free. The Master's Vault is though. I love the map packs especially large pre-assembled ready-to-play maps (more so than tiles and furniture pieces... for me). Tokens are also cool, especially a lot of games like to use a consistent set of tokens across the game (or at least matching for the characters, or for the monsters).  My favorite product categories would be Modules (adventures) and yes I like the smaller original publishers (not just the big mainstream industry-licensed ones).  Another great Marketplace category is Add-Ons, which can contain useful Card Decks and pre-assembled Map Pages. Oooh thanks for that, not something I had even considered yet.  Also my apologies you're right, I see a lot of links to Curse, I had no idea it was just parts of it that were free!  Thanks!
Dsurion
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I do a particular style (pixelart) so I have to make tokens and maps for people to have a consistent style. In the case of maps I do tiles for people to make their own maps, but I usually add 2 ready to use maps on each pack as examples. What I heard about adventures is that people feel a bit iffy on buying them not knowing when or if they are going to be finished (in the case of modules that are divided in part 1, part 2, etc.

Edited 1528793233
for me the biggest strength of virtual tabletop is the visual presentation. so i use tons of maps, assets and construction kits to breath life in my own adventures. i play a homegrow rulesystem with own adventures, so no modules. tokens i create myself (portrait tokens not top down) from the countless artworks outthere, mostly in better quality than what you find on the marketplace
Patrick Von Raven
Pro
Marketplace Creator
I make maps that saves DMs prep time.  Just add monsters! Instant Dungeon Crawl Just Add Monsters!

Edited 1528764147
Top-down tokens, map build kits, furnishings & embellishments. Ì seem to have settled on the art styles for my games so I find myself gravitating to certain artists who cater for that.
Martin M. said: Top-down tokens, map build kits, furnishings & embellishments. Ì seem to have settled on the art styles for my games so I find myself gravitating to certain artists who cater for that. This pretty much describes what I look for as well. I prefer construction kits and accessories over pre-made maps, so I can make my encounters just the way I want them.
Awesome! Thanks again everyone who's replied, I think I've got a good direction to start with!