Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Need help with creating token action

I'm have watch a youtube instruction video for creating token actions for monster i used that video to create my own template sheet and put the attack action as clickable button in chat. what i would like to do is link the button name to the action; here's my macro for an aboleth: /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Actions}} {{Description=@{character_name} has these actions available}} {{Multiattack=The aboleth makes three tentacle attacks.}} {{Melee Attack=[action 1](~repeating_npcaction_$1_npc_action)[action 2](~repeating_npcaction_$2_npc_action)}} {{Special=[special action](~repeating_npcaction_$3_npc_action)}} what i want to do is have it so i can drag and drop any SRD creature on to the template and the action will rename them self to match the action name for said creature. with out having to go in and rename all action. I know I will have to add or remove action based on creatures. but if i can have it so action 1 is the tentacle attack action three is enslave ect. would make it easier to use. does anyone no if the is a call function to grab the ability name. with out ussing said ability.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What you're asking for isnt possible with basic macros. Since you're Pro, iIt would be possible to write a script that builds token action Abilities for your creatures and takes the action name from the character sheet, but failing that (which is a bit complicated), you're out of luck. 
You can access the action's name directly using attributes like this /w gm &{template:default} {{name=Actions}} {{Description=@{character_name} has these actions available}} {{Multiattack=The aboleth makes three tentacle attacks.}} {{Melee Attack=[ @{repeating_npcaction_$1_name} ](~repeating_npcaction_$1_npc_action)[ @{repeating_npcaction_$2_name} ](~repeating_npcaction_$2_npc_action)}} {{Special=[ @{repeating_npcaction_$3_name} ](~repeating_npcaction_$3_npc_action)}}
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You also might want to consider looking at the Shaped sheet and script if you haven't invested too much time in your campaign already. The script has calls to add token macros of many kinds: Actions, Reactions, Traits, etc.