Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Maps for Older AD&D Modules

Edited 1529068596
Although I have SOME artistic ability, I am by far a novice compared to most of you fine folks.  And my tech savvy knowledge is even more limited.  I would be very curious if anyone out there has ever thought about developing the glorious maps of the older AD&D modules for use in Roll20.  I have found a few on the web but they don't seem to be very common.  I'd LOVE to find maps for the various "A" series.  There are some for the first one "Slavepits of the Undercity" but nothing for the ones that come after.  Has anyone else ever thought about developing some?  I doubt I am the only one.  I've seen many forums with DMs asking the same question.
illo
Plus
Marketplace Creator
I do this for some of my adventures, when we play adventures from dungeon magazine adapted to 5e, but I never show these maps on the internet because I dont know how the copyrights work with this kind of fanmade "remastered" versions.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Good on you Illo. Though they are out of print most published maps are still under copyright. I recently did the maps for the B1-B2 remastered Keep on the Borderlands. That was a commercial project for which licenses were paid. As far as I know, they were not released digitally. The best rule of thumb is when in doubt, don't.
I can certainly understand.  Art is a MAJOR endeavor.  That's why I can't do it.  :(  It takes a lot of time and talent.  It certainly isn't fair to deprive the artist of the previous works of their just due.  I just wish there was an ethical and legal way to post online so that others might enjoy.  
Gold
Forum Champion
There are some familiar homage art-packs to old school adventures. Check this publisher page in the Marketplace for a few I recognize, <a href="https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/publisher/40" rel="nofollow">https://marketplace.roll20.net/browse/publisher/40</a>...
B Simon Smith
Marketplace Creator
Yeah, it comes down to either scanning them in, or paying someone to make something similar.
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Remember that you can't sell them as their IP is owned by someone else.
When I have free time between flights or something; I will open up a book or module and start drawing whatever map onto the page. For the most simple map you can use thick dark grey (or black or whatever color you choose) for the walls, and then another color for the floors. Seeing you are on a Pro account you can then set the DL lines to the "very thin" (while having used the largest size for the walls) and that way a bit of the wall shows on both sides. There are several very good "DIY dungeon" packs for sale on the marketplace. After buying dozens of packs I have handpicked floors, walls, and other things to use. At the end of the day though I will still mark up a dungeon or building using nothing but thick lines for walls and a solid color for the floors.
Gold
Forum Champion
Erich S. said: &nbsp;At the end of the day though I will still mark up a dungeon or building using nothing but thick lines for walls and a solid color for the floors. One of my DM's on Roll20 in AD&D -- DM Tyler -- does that technique (with the DL thin walls, Thick wall lines on top that show a little bit; plain solid gray color floors). We have played through lots of old-school modules that he mapped in that way, and they looked and worked great. White Plume Mountain, Expedition to Barrier Peaks, The Sentinel, The Gauntlet, Hidden Shrine, Against the Cult, etc. Definitely a recommended and relatively artistry-free method!