Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP] [D&D 5e] [TEXT GAME] [CDT] The Dark of Hot Springs Island

Edited 1529890399
Three weeks ago, you set sail from the mainland, signed on with the Martel Company’s Adventurer’s League on the Harlot’s Grace . The ship was cramped; not that it was small, but it was packed to the gills with other bright-eyed sellswords like you, itching to venture into the virgin jungles of the Swordfish Islands and conquer their treasures for themselves. Not all of your sailing companions were contracted adventurers by trade. Aside from the Martel Company’s directly employed corsairs, there was a hefty sum of bountied criminals, indentured to servitude by Ma Martel in exchange for paying off their bounty. These were a rough bunch - or at least rougher than the average adventurer. There was a storm last night. The navigators had lost all sense of the ship’s direction; you were supposed to arrive safely on the shores of Hot Springs Island that morning, but Gozreh, the deity of the sea and storms, had other plans. The ocean roiled, waves washed over the bulkheads, and the monsoon poured, pelting you with heavy drops as you attempted to keep the ship afloat. The captain shouted out, “Everybody on the lifeboats!” And then there was darkness. You wake up on a beach covered in black sand. The hot sun is baking your exposed skin. All around you is the shattered flotsam of the Harlot’s Grace , decorated by the pale, bloated bodies of a substantial chunk of your sailing companions. But not all are dead. As you claw your way to your feet in the blisteringly hot black sand, you see three others around you doing the same. It doesn’t matter anymore if you were a sellsword or a bountied criminal before. Your only goal now is to survive. -------------------------------- System: D&D 5e Self-Direction: High Combat: Medium-High Roleplay: Medium Exploration: High Player Buy-In: This is a text campaign! Hot Springs Island is a sandbox survival hex crawl that will be set on a dangerous tropical jungle island. There is no overarching story or quest; you'll have to go out and find your own adventure. You will run into monsters and creatures above you level, and it will be smart to avoid direct conflict sometimes. But if you manage to survive the trials, you can bring back mountains of treasure! Sundays, starting at 6:30 PM CDT, running for about 3-4 hours. Session 0 will be July 1st, do not build characters or become married to a character concept before then. 2-3 players needed! ----------------------------------- About the Red Hand Club ----------------------------------- The Red Hand Club is a gaming group, but more than that we're a collection of friends. We have similar interests, including RPGs, video games, anime, movies, sci-fi, comic books, etc., and we enjoy sharing those with our friends in the group! Some notes about the club: Firstly, we're all heavy roleplayers. Combat and exploration are important to us, but we get the most out of the game when our characters are motivated and have a personal investment in the adventure. Second, we want you to be active in the RHC with us. We definitely don't expect you to devote your life to us, but we'd love for you to engage with us and be our friend! Outside of RPGs, we also play tabletop sim games, watch movies together on Rabbit, and generally just hang out and chat. This isn't a requirement, but it's a huge plus! Finally, most of our games are text. That means we prefer to do all of our in-character actions, reactions, and speech in text. Mechanical questions, and general shit-shooting are still done in voice, but text RP affords us the ability to focus, think, and consider our characters' responses without the pressure to quickly respond that comes with a voice environment.
I've been hoping to find a Sunday evening game that would work for me, and I think I can make this time work - it's just an hour or two earlier than ideal. With the emphasis on being involved and friendly, do you offer early invites to the chat? I think it'd be helpful to have an opportunity to hang out before session 0, and see if it seems like it'd be a good fit.
That's a really good idea. Let me shoot you an invite.