Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Possible to access Roll20 character info from external site/app?

I'm developing a HTML overlay for playing D&D on Twitch and would love to be able to pull real time character information from the game.  Things like player health, AC, etc. Is that something that is possible with Roll20's API? I've done a fair bit of searching on the wiki/google but can't find quite what I'm looking for. I assume I would need to upgrade to the $10 a month level to have API access, and be a DM for the game?  The challenge there is I'd like to be a player in said game, and stream from the player's perspective rather than show what a DM sees, but have my overlay be able to pull data. Greatly appreciate any help! /Chris
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Not directly. About a year ago though, someone else was looking to do something similar. It is possible to create a work around using the external journal, API scripts, and the BIO/INFO page of the character (this is what is accessible to outside scripts). Essentially, you have an API script that responds to defined changes on the character, It then stores the current state of these in the bio/info text area of a character (or handout). You then have your external program monitor the external journal for your storage character/handout and pull the data from the text. This will be a little harder now though because of the embedded html code that gets added to anything that is done in the text editor.
Yeah, I'm really disappointed in how the API is setup.&nbsp; Seems very restrictive and focused on internal use only vs supporting external development which is where a lot of value really lies.&nbsp; I could scrape Journal HTML files, but journal.roll20.net appears to be having DNS issues and does not load right now for me.&nbsp; I have a post on that here:&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6571708/journal-dot-roll20-dot-net-is-down#post-6572050" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6571708/journal-dot-roll20-dot-net-is-down#post-6572050</a>
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
I've always figured that Roll20 has encouraged a Walled Garden approach to help protect Intellectual Properties.
It's a delicate balance, but encouraging and allowing external development of an ecosystem that depends on a product also helps keep people using that product, and as a free benefit it means there is always things tied to the product that advance forward even if the product (like now) is quite stagnate. As a developer/streamer I really want to be able to celebrate Roll20, but it's hard to do that with things being so restricted/neglected/etc.&nbsp; Heck I had to spend a few weeks using external CSS injection just to get chat/handouts looking reasonably good so they could be a thematic part of the stream rather than looking like accounting software.&nbsp; *steps down from soap box* ;)