Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Masks IN SPACE

Edited 1533064378
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
<a href="https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xYctHkzHNoB_V8gEQkOoLYG1XOJjSiKGHnE0r4xoxyM/edit?usp=sharing" rel="nofollow">https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xYctHkzHNoB_V8gEQkOoLYG1XOJjSiKGHnE0r4xoxyM/edit?usp=sharing</a> I talked about "cosmic shenanigans" a couple sessions ago , so here's the result of thinking about that. Rather than actually write up a bunch of interstellar civilizations, I came up with rules for doing so - decide how big and how advanced your society is, then write them a drive and some relationships. I also wrote up four alternatives for FTL technology that'd (hopefully) give a good balance of "PCs can go anywhere" and "space empires are a thing", including portals, password-protected star systems, and naval-submarine analogues. I don't know if this game will ever head to space, but if it did (or if I ran a space-themed Masks game), I'd like to give these rules a try and see how they work. #Background
Bill G.
Pro
Sheet Author
I revised the document to be a lot cleaner and (hopefully) more sensible. So here's an example: we'll create a stock interstellar empire that'll invade Earth! We assign them the following adjectives: Expansionist, Powerful, Xenophobic. For Label, we roll 1d6, -1 for Xenophobic, and get a 2 (Freak). For Tech, they're Common in all areas except FTL, where they have Uncommon tech. We roll 2d6, +1 for Powerful, and get an 8. We increase their Warfare tech one level, to Uncommon. For Size, we roll 2d6, +1 for Expansionist, +1 for Uncommon FTL, but get a 6! This makes them Small. Based on these things, we assign them a Drive: "Prove ourselves to the Universe, one conquest at a time". They're a society of would-be galactic conquerors, with good tech and skills at war, but not much experience on the galactic stage. We can assign them three details. If any of the PCs had a cosmic origin or ties (e.g. Concord), we'd write a relationship to the Universal Concordance somehow. We can also write flavor details like "they overcompensate by building ships, cities, etc. a few sizes too big".