Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Not understanding how the player initiative macro works

Currently DMing a D&D 5e game, and I'm trying to dabble into macros for the first time. Most of the macros I took from the internet work perfectly, but I'm having problems with this one:  /emas @{selected|token_name} rolls a [[1d20+?{modifier|0}&{tracker}]] for initiative! It's supposed to roll initiative for the players and add them to the turn order. Everything works perfectly, but the initiative bonus doesen't get added to the dice roll. I've read that I'm supposed to " have an Attribute in Journal Entry linked to that token called 'initiative'", but being new at this I don't understand what that means. Anyone can help?
Spren
Sheet Author
I can see why that's confusing, it's not the most descriptive sentence. Basically it's just saying that your character sheet should have a number saved somewhere called "initiative". On the OGL sheet for PC's and NPC's the bonus is labeled "initiative_bonus" and not "initiative" though. So you would just need to reference that instead for your macro (example below). /emas @{selected|token_name} rolls a [[1d20+ @{selected|initiative_bonus} +?{modifier|0}&{tracker}]] for initiative!
Pantoufle
Pro
Sheet Author
Translator
Hello I used the initiative button of the sheet and then pressed the up arrow of the keyboard in the chat to get the "formula" and used this in the macro :)
Spren said: I can see why that's confusing, it's not the most descriptive sentence. Basically it's just saying that your character sheet should have a number saved somewhere called "initiative". On the OGL sheet for PC's and NPC's the bonus is labeled "initiative_bonus" and not "initiative" though. So you would just need to reference that instead for your macro (example below). /emas @{selected|token_name} rolls a [[1d20+ @{selected|initiative_bonus} +?{modifier|0}&{tracker}]] for initiative! Now it works perfectly! Thanks, this taught me a bunch of stuff for the future :P