Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

A Measured Update - Ruler Bug Report Thread

Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
We've just released the Measured Update ! Here's the bug reporting thread for any issues you may find with it. Known Issues (Updated August 14, 2018): When using the hex grid and Euclidean measurements, measuring in the "long" direction of the hex (e.g. measuring vertically on the vertical hex grid) gives results that are  very slightly  off from a measurement across the same number of hexes made in another direction. Most users won't encounter this, but if you are measuring over several hexes, you might notice. The devs have done their best to minimize the issue as much as possible without redesigning the hex grid itself and requiring everyone to redraw their maps.
There was some feedback around this post  regarding allowing the alt+double click to open minimized character sheets. Was this something that's going to happen or no?

Edited 1534269613
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Jeremy said: There was some feedback around this post  regarding allowing the alt+double click to open minimized character sheets. Was this something that's going to happen or no? That's something we're considering seriously, and it'll depend on how much work it is for when it gets done. We didn't want to delay the other cool features and fixes for a smallish enhancement. (Edit to add: In case that wasn't clear: this is in the backlog, but isn't scheduled.)
Thank you for the info!
I seem to be unable to resize my map to the grid. Normally, would just click and drag to stretch it out, now it gets stuck in the "picked up" mode, and wont drop from being scaled. Doesnt appear to be happening on all my maps however.. just tested a few others. *Edit* Further poking around. Only the maps that I have changed the Grid Scale of, seem to be affected by the inability to drag the map and then release it. All my maps with a Grid Scale of 1, function fine.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks for the report, Ilythiiri! 
Chris M.
Pro
API Scripter
None of the shapes our teams make seem to stay - as soon as we draw the shape it disappears from the map.  Only the GM can draw permanent shapes with the "Draw Shapes" tool.
Adelaide
Forum Champion
Unable to click and drag into my character sheet post-update. Refreshed/logged in and out a couple times. Sheet's 100% in the browser window, not popped out. Using Chrome, latest version. Also noticed earlier, was coloring in on the map while friends were playing around with the new ruler. This might be hard to explain. So the original color I picked DOES show up when I finish drawing, but while my mouse is still held down, it frequently flashes different colors while other players are messing around in the background.
The ruler is showing as "undefinedft" when attempting to measure distances.
Scott "JokersWyld" said: The ruler is showing as "undefinedft" when attempting to measure distances. Same here, it shows up as "undefinedft" when I try to measure something unless I'm measuring the movement of a token in which case it correctly measures distances.
Character Sheets are now accessible immediately from the token with a new shortcut. To open the Character Sheet directly from a token, hold alt while double left clicking on a token you control.   This does not work on Chrome 68 on Ubuntu. I see the cursor blink when I alt+left click, but the character sheet doesn't open. Shift + double left click does work and it goes straight to the Bio & Info tab.  
The icon should be rotated so it looks like a "Q"
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks for the reports! Can you both provide the following information so we can troubleshoot this issue: Web browser and OS What are the page settings for the page you're measuring on? What are you measuring? (Tokens? one square to another? Corner to a square, etc?) The name of your campaign-- we may take a peek at the database to see if we can find a common cause. Thank you. Barthelago said: Scott "JokersWyld" said: The ruler is showing as "undefinedft" when attempting to measure distances. Same here, it shows up as "undefinedft" when I try to measure something unless I'm measuring the movement of a token in which case it correctly measures distances.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Alex said: The icon should be rotated so it looks like a "Q" It is a Q. It's just relaxing while the ruler does all the hard work! But seriously: I'll pass the suggestion to our UI person. It might not change, though. We took a big risk changing the icon to begin with, and don't want to confuse everyone.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
My initial thought was that a Q shaped icon would be a nice reminder of the shortcut but I then wondered if it might look a bit too much like the magnifying glass icon above it 'at a glance'... :/
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Chris, We can't reproduce this issue on our end. Can you report back with your players' web browser/OS information, and the console log you see when you're having the issue? Does it happen in all games, or just one? Chris M. said: None of the shapes our teams make seem to stay - as soon as we draw the shape it disappears from the map.  Only the GM can draw permanent shapes with the "Draw Shapes" tool.

Edited 1534361934
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Adelaide! The ruler shouldn't affect click-drag, but we did recently make changes that affect drag-and-drop onto character sheets. Which sheet are you using, in which mode (PC, NPC, etc) and what specifically have you tried and been unable to drag onto the sheet? Edit to add: Devs are checking into the other issue you reported. Adelaide said: Unable to click and drag into my character sheet post-update. Refreshed/logged in and out a couple times. Sheet's 100% in the browser window, not popped out. Using Chrome, latest version. Also noticed earlier, was coloring in on the map while friends were playing around with the new ruler. This might be hard to explain. So the original color I picked DOES show up when I finish drawing, but while my mouse is still held down, it frequently flashes different colors while other players are messing around in the background.
Maps have gone all wonky it seems. Nothing seems to stay "correct" after a refresh of the page. My dynamic lighting ends up on the token or map layer, the dimensions reset back to default, and like someone noted above, using the .5 unit scale cause the selection tool to drag the map about without the ability to put it back down.
Adding my lot into the "resizing gets stuck" queue - ever since the update, any time I try to create new maps and upload images to the map layer, attempting to move or resize the image files gets the mouse stuck in the pick-up state. Can't drop, can't release, any any other changes I attempt to apply to the page in question revert shortly after.  Hoping for an ETR, I've got a big map I'm trying to finish by Sunday. 
I think that Map Resizing may have broke with this update. When you change a maps size, it breaks the ability to place things properly, and then doesnt save the changes. Duplicating maps doesnt seem to be an issue, but changing the Width and height breaks everything.
Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Links now open in a separate tab, rather than the same tab/window you clicked. I was very excited to see this in the main release notes. I tested it right out, but it did not work!  It was only after reading some threads on the forum that I realized it was not talking about buttons on the a character sheet, nor links in the chat window. They both still redirect the tab the VTT is running in to the link, closing the VTT.  So I would say that "Links now open in a separate tab, rather than the same tab/window you clicked." is about 1/3 done. No more.
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Hi, Chris. Links in the chat window (I'm not sure what you mean by buttons on the character sheet) were never reported as a bug, and I can't reproduce that issue. What browser and OS are you using? Can you verify that you're having this issue on a different browser? Thanks for your report; this is definitely odd behavior. Chris D. said: Links now open in a separate tab, rather than the same tab/window you clicked. I was very excited to see this in the main release notes. I tested it right out, but it did not work!  It was only after reading some threads on the forum that I realized it was not talking about buttons on the a character sheet, nor links in the chat window. They both still redirect the tab the VTT is running in to the link, closing the VTT.  So I would say that "Links now open in a separate tab, rather than the same tab/window you clicked." is about 1/3 done. No more.
Ilythiiri said: I seem to be unable to resize my map to the grid. Normally, would just click and drag to stretch it out, now it gets stuck in the "picked up" mode, and wont drop from being scaled. Doesnt appear to be happening on all my maps however.. just tested a few others. *Edit* Further poking around. Only the maps that I have changed the Grid Scale of, seem to be affected by the inability to drag the map and then release it. All my maps with a Grid Scale of 1, function fine. The same bug for me. I'm not able to resize map other than standard map size 25*25  If I resize map even one more square 26*25 - that's it, I try to resize the picture map and no use. After refresh the map size revert to standard 25*25  So map resize completely not working.. May be it is an Opera issue??? 

Edited 1534482713
Ok, seems this problem appears only for Opera Browser. Used different browther - Microsoft Edge to be pe specific and got no problems with this bug Any chances this issue would be fixed? Epixx Games said: Ilythiiri said: I seem to be unable to resize my map to the grid. Normally, would just click and drag to stretch it out, now it gets stuck in the "picked up" mode, and wont drop from being scaled. Doesnt appear to be happening on all my maps however.. just tested a few others. *Edit* Further poking around. Only the maps that I have changed the Grid Scale of, seem to be affected by the inability to drag the map and then release it. All my maps with a Grid Scale of 1, function fine. The same bug for me. I'm not able to resize map other than standard map size 25*25  If I resize map even one more square 26*25 - that's it, I try to resize the picture map and no use. After refresh the map size revert to standard 25*25  So map resize completely not working.. May be it is an Opera issue??? 
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
Epixx Games said: Ok, seems this problem appears only for Opera Browser. Used different browther - Microsoft Edge to be pe specific and got no problems with this bug Any chances this issue would be fixed? Epixx Games said: Ilythiiri said: I seem to be unable to resize my map to the grid. Normally, would just click and drag to stretch it out, now it gets stuck in the "picked up" mode, and wont drop from being scaled. Doesnt appear to be happening on all my maps however.. just tested a few others. *Edit* Further poking around. Only the maps that I have changed the Grid Scale of, seem to be affected by the inability to drag the map and then release it. All my maps with a Grid Scale of 1, function fine. The same bug for me. I'm not able to resize map other than standard map size 25*25  If I resize map even one more square 26*25 - that's it, I try to resize the picture map and no use. After refresh the map size revert to standard 25*25  So map resize completely not working.. May be it is an Opera issue???  Roll20 only supports chrome and ff. Using any other browser may result in unpredictable behavior...
Stephanie B.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Thanks for the update! I've updated our ticket for it. Although we don't officially support Opera, we do evaluate other browsers all the time to see which browsers we should support. If we can do so with a minimum of overhead, we'll try to fix it. Epixx Games said: Ok, seems this problem appears only for Opera Browser. Used different browther - Microsoft Edge to be pe specific and got no problems with this bug Any chances this issue would be fixed? Epixx Games said: Ilythiiri said: I seem to be unable to resize my map to the grid. Normally, would just click and drag to stretch it out, now it gets stuck in the "picked up" mode, and wont drop from being scaled. Doesnt appear to be happening on all my maps however.. just tested a few others. *Edit* Further poking around. Only the maps that I have changed the Grid Scale of, seem to be affected by the inability to drag the map and then release it. All my maps with a Grid Scale of 1, function fine. The same bug for me. I'm not able to resize map other than standard map size 25*25  If I resize map even one more square 26*25 - that's it, I try to resize the picture map and no use. After refresh the map size revert to standard 25*25  So map resize completely not working.. May be it is an Opera issue??? 
As further evidence, the resizing issue is a problem for me on Chrome as well.
After the update I was getting persistent page crashes on both Chrome and Opera on windows 7.  Haven't tried to make maps yet so I can't speak to the resizing issue. Firefox seemed unaffected as did all the windows 10 PCs at the game I was running.

Edited 1534753669
Chris D.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
Stephanie B. said: Hi, Chris. Links in the chat window (I'm not sure what you mean by buttons on the character sheet) were never reported as a bug, and I can't reproduce that issue. What browser and OS are you using? Can you verify that you're having this issue on a different browser? Thanks for your report; this is definitely odd behavior. Chris D. said: Links now open in a separate tab, rather than the same tab/window you clicked. I was very excited to see this in the main release notes. I tested it right out, but it did not work!  It was only after reading some threads on the forum that I realized it was not talking about buttons on the a character sheet, nor links in the chat window. They both still redirect the tab the VTT is running in to the link, closing the VTT.  So I would say that "Links now open in a separate tab, rather than the same tab/window you clicked." is about 1/3 done. No more. Sorry, this was never referring to anything that you guys refer to as a bug. I was just referring to the fact that the phrasing of your release notes lead me to believe that you had added functionality that I have wanted, rather than fixing a recently introduced bug.  Specifically, I would like a button on the character sheet that if clicked, will leave the VTT running, and open the character sheets WIKI page in another tab.  Right now my character sheet has a button, that when clicked sends a message to an API, which causes a different button to appear in the chat window, with instructions to right-click this button and open the link in a different tab. It has to be done this way, because buttons on character sheets that have external links, or buttons in chat windows that are clicked instead of right-clicked, go to the external link, closing the VTT.  The release notes saying  " Links now open in a separate tab, rather than the same tab/window you clicked. " made me think you had finally changed this VTT behavior.  It is actually the exact same behavior as you fixed, it is just in a different place.  (I am using chrome - but the behavior I am reporting has always been like this)
Hex Map Bug? Using the measuring tool on a hex grid near the edge of the map causes the map tool line to vanish. Afterwards, the measuring tool won't pop up again. If I change pages, my other maps are just gray screens. If I reload my browser, things go back to normal. I can reproduce this every time. This doesn't occur on a square grid. Chrome latest patch (I have not tried other browser) over Windows 10 Horizontal Hex - I have experimented with fractional (.25) and whole number scales. same result. Center Snap on a hex grid. this doesn't occur on square grid. The name of your campaign - Anathema Dawn Happy to jump in game with a R20 team to show you what happens. 
Pretty reliable bug here: Using the ruler tool on hex grid (what i've tested so far) and scrolling away from where the ruler starts causes the entire map to bug out. The ruler tool stops functioning and so does any interactivity with the map. One user doing this on accident breaks it for everyone in the session and can be fixed with a reload. 
Hoot Games said: Hex Map Bug? Using the measuring tool on a hex grid near the edge of the map causes the map tool line to vanish. Afterwards, the measuring tool won't pop up again. If I change pages, my other maps are just gray screens. If I reload my browser, things go back to normal. I can reproduce this every time. This doesn't occur on a square grid. Chrome latest patch (I have not tried other browser) over Windows 10 Horizontal Hex - I have experimented with fractional (.25) and whole number scales. same result. Center Snap on a hex grid. this doesn't occur on square grid. The name of your campaign - Anathema Dawn Happy to jump in game with a R20 team to show you what happens.  bump. Any thoughts or input from the R20 team on this issue? It persists.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Thanks for the report Hoot Games and Noah M. I can confirm this is a bug. For me, starting a measurement from the partial hex cell at the edge of the map will cause all tools to fail until a page reload. Does that reflect your experience? Did I miss anything? I've added this to our queue. Thanks again for helping us make Roll20 better! Hoot Games said: Hoot Games said: Hex Map Bug? Using the measuring tool on a hex grid near the edge of the map causes the map tool line to vanish. Afterwards, the measuring tool won't pop up again. If I change pages, my other maps are just gray screens. If I reload my browser, things go back to normal. I can reproduce this every time. This doesn't occur on a square grid. Chrome latest patch (I have not tried other browser) over Windows 10 Horizontal Hex - I have experimented with fractional (.25) and whole number scales. same result. Center Snap on a hex grid. this doesn't occur on square grid. The name of your campaign - Anathema Dawn Happy to jump in game with a R20 team to show you what happens.  bump. Any thoughts or input from the R20 team on this issue? It persists.
Thanks for the feedback Kenton. I ran my tests with "center snap" set for the measuring tool. Its fine until I get closer to the edge (within about 2 or 3 hexes) then things get wonky. The only solution is reload. Hopefully it will be an easy bug to find as it completely negates the ability to use hex maps (or measure on them anyway). 
When measuring using the new tool .. it would be nice if it gave the actual distance or number of hexes in all cases, not just when the grid size is 1 unit.  This is probably related to an old bug where distances show as if grid size=1 even if set to (for example) 0.5 BTW I was a little shocked when I saw you had removed the measuring tool, and replaced it with some odd token showing tool... but luckily I was able to find the badly titled announcement and thus make sense that this was still the measuring tool.
*bump* Will this be fixed?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Posted Elsewhere . James A.  said: I found a hex map online and put it into my campaign. I sized it to fit (page size 47x36, image size 3228x2432) and then tried using the rule tool to measure it's height and width.  When I try to measure it's width it hits 11000 m and breaks.  The tool disappears, doesn't come back, and the zoom on the page also whacks out. In my console log I see the error: Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'PathCoOrdX' of null  at HT.Grid.GetHexDistance (app.js?1535730296:195)     at Object.d20.engine.getDistanceInScale (app.js?1535730296:345)     at S (app.js?1535730296:345)     at E (app.js?1535730296:345)     at app.js?1535730296:345     at Function.k.each.k.forEach (base.js?1530633291:6)     at Object.d20.engine.drawMeasurements (app.js?1535730296:345)     at Object.d20.engine.drawOverlaysTop (app.js?1535730296:344)     at n.renderTop (app.js?1535730296:340)     at d20.engine.renderLoop (app.js?1535730296:346) Full error log Video
Ruler bug I found above was on Chrome Version 68.0.3440.106 (Official Build) (64-bit) on OSX 10.13 Campaign is "Charlie Don't Surf".
Hi James, What is the name of the game you are seeing this in?
Hi Drespar, In the campaign "Charlie Don't Surf" I have a map called "A Shau Valley".  I've been able to consistently reproduce it there.
Thanks for that info-- I suppose my brain opted not to see that you already provided that information, sorry! Upon attempting to replicate the issue, I was able to reproduce with the steps you provided. It seems that when the ruler reaches the break point it is causing the map to "disappear" which is making all tools non-functional due to there being no map to interact with. I have submitted a ticket to the devs so they can investigate further. James A. said: Hi Drespar, In the campaign "Charlie Don't Surf" I have a map called "A Shau Valley".  I've been able to consistently reproduce it there.
Awesome, thanks Drespar!
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Hoot Games said: Thanks for the feedback Kenton. I ran my tests with "center snap" set for the measuring tool. Its fine until I get closer to the edge (within about 2 or 3 hexes) then things get wonky. The only solution is reload. Hopefully it will be an easy bug to find as it completely negates the ability to use hex maps (or measure on them anyway).  We got this last 2 weeks, it bugs everyone in the session out, cannot click or move or select anything. Only solution is everyone has to reload.
I tested the Roll20 Measurement Tool under the following conditions: Map Size: 60 Wide by 50 High Scale: 1 unit = 3 feet Grid Size: 0.6 Grid Type: Horizontal Hex Measurement: Euclidean Test to run: I created a 30-60-90-degree triangle with short side 20 hexes and hypotenuse 40 hexes.  I measured the perpendicular side's length using "snap to center." I got a result of 30.1 hexes for the third side, which is supposed to be 20*(3^0.5) which actually works out to 34.64 hexes, so it's about 4.5 hexes short, which is about 13% short. I did this on a map called "Tenacious Test" in my game "GURPS Terramar."
We recently pushed out an update which we believe fixed the issue here. Can you confirm it on your end as well? James A. said: Awesome, thanks Drespar!
Fix confirmed!  Hitting the edge of the map no longer breaks the page for me.  Thanks!
Great that one bug is fixed, what about the one I just reported?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It is in the known issues in the top post?
John, The hexes in the grids that we use are actually slightly elongated in one direction or another depending on the page settings you use, but we're fudging the measurements to make it look like you're measuring a grid of regular hexagons so that users mostly get the results they're expecting when they're measuring movement distances for tokens. The error you are pointing out is a result of faking the measurements, which results in them not holding up to mathematical scrutiny. We realize that this is not 100% ideal especially when it comes to euclidean measurement and is something that is on our backlog for the future.

Edited 1538656855
The ruler doesn't give the right measurement distances for squared grids.  Squares measure root 2 across a diagonal not 1 unit. You need to give the results in actual distances and [ squares or hexes ] depending on which grid is selected. Here is my function for a shooter token and a target token for a square grid GSF is a constant and should equal 70. The function returns an array with distance, units and a relative estimate of the size of the thing you are shooting at. function DistanceToTarget(shooter,target,shooter_height=0,target_height=0) {     log(target);     pageid = target.get('_pageid');     if(shooter.get('_pageid') != pageid)     {         throw 'shooter token and target token must be on the same page';     }     PAGE = getObj('page',pageid);     if(PAGE == null)     {         throw 'page object is null';     }     units = PAGE.get('scale_units');     x1 = shooter.get('left');     y1 = shooter.get('top');     x2 = target.get('left');     y2 = target.get('top');     hdiff= Math.abs(target_height - shooter_height);     xdiff = Math.abs(x2 - x1);     ydiff = Math.abs(y2 - y1);     dag = Math.sqrt(xdiff*xdiff + ydiff*ydiff)/GSF; //divide here by the global scale factor to convert pixels into units     tdt = Math.sqrt(dag*dag + hdiff * hdiff);     sf = PAGE.get('scale_number');     su = PAGE.get('scale_units');     var R=[];     R[0] = (sf * tdt);     R[1] = su;     //Estimate target size     tw = target.get('width')/GSF;     th = target.get('height')/GSF;     ta = tw * th;     t = Math.sqrt(ta);     R[2] = Math.log(t)/Math.LN2; //GIVES ESTIMATE IN 2^n RELATIVE TOKEN SIZES ASSUMING A STANDARD CREATURE OCCUPIES ONE GRID SQUARE     return R; }

Edited 1538662499
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi Jack T., Assuming I understand your issue correctly, if you set your page (or entire game) to use Euclidean measurement, the ruler will use the Pythagorean theorem to determine diagonals. From the wiki : Square Grids have four options for measuring: 1.  D&D 5E/4E Compatible  is the default setting. This measures a diagonal move as 1 unit. This simplifies the counting of squares at the expense of realism. 2.  Pathfinder/3.5E Compatible  measures a diagonal move as 1.5 units (rounding down). Thus, when 1 unit equals 5ft, diagonal moves alternate between 5ft and 10ft increments (i.e. 5ft, 15ft, 20ft, 30ft, etc.). This is slightly more complicated to count, but models reality more closely. 3.  Manhattan  measures a diagonal distance as the sum of its horizontal and vertical distances. Effectively, a diagonal move equals 2 units using this method. This is also called "Taxicab geometry" or "rectilinear distance". 4.  Euclidean  measures diagonals using the Pythagorean Theorem. A diagonal move equals about 1.414 units using this method. This is also called the "real distance" or "as the crow flies."