Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

/FX For Dummies And I'm The Dummy

So I will start with the fact that I am not a programmer, nor do I have the mental state to be one. I have a four year degree in web design and cannot program. I can use HTML and CSS, but that is it. I tried programming on multiple accounts and I have failed at them equally. So I go to this link:&nbsp; <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Commands" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Text_Chat#Chat_Commands</a> &nbsp;and find: /fx &lt;Type&gt;-&lt;Color&gt; &lt;Source ID&gt; [&lt;Target ID&gt;] Now if I type (for example) /fx fireball: a nice fire ball explodes on the selected creature. It's very cool, but that's all I can get it to do. No lightning, acid, cold, etc. But that's not why I'm writing. I simply want to cast the spell from one character; Arthur The Blue, to an NPC monster; Aarakocra. Being able to do lightning and the other stuff would be cool too. I want to see the effect leave Arthur and attack that monster. I don't need it to calculate damage as my players will roll their dice on the table to figure that number out. I tried looking up to find the [target ID] but that made even less sense to me as I could no locate the [Target ID]. So, anyone able to help me out and dumb it down so I can understand it?

Edited 1534379506
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Try this: /fx breath-fire @{target|source|token_id} @{target|destination|token_id} That will prompt you to click on where you want the attack to originate from, and where you want it to go to. You need to use token ids as they refer to specific tokens. There may be many tokens on the board that are all linked to the Aarakocra character sheet, but you want the effect to go one specific one. If you want it always to come from Arthur the Blue, try: /fx breath-fire @{selected|token_id} @{target|destination|token_id} Make that a token macro for Arthur the Blue, and it will always come from him. (i.e. the token macro button only appears when you have the Arthur the Blue token selected , so the effect always comes from the selected token, Arthur the Blue. Target and selected are two keywords that basically tell any macro: use the token I have selected, or the token I click on at macro run time (targeted)
So do I fill in any of this code with the names of my character and the monster? /fx breath-fire @{target|source|token_id} @{target|destination|token_id}
Nope... Just use it as is. 😀
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hi John. Either of the two I posted will work. The second method just saves you a click, depending on how you trigger the macro/ability.
Keith what about custom fx? Everytime I use one it only shoots off in the upper left corner of the screen. Do you have any experience using the custom fx?