Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Noob Being a Noob but Wanting to Be More

All, I could really use your help. I would like to start playing a regular DnD game with a good friend that recently moved away as a sort of way of staying connected to those folks he left behind. I did some research and Roll20 came up as a great option. Here is the problem; I haven't played DnD before and I haven't a clue what I am doing beyond making characters. (ok technically I have but I was like 10 and they were solo campaigns, etc). I've played plenty of MMORPGs so creating a character and assigning stats, feats and understanding rolls, dodges/saving rolls, etc. My apologies for the comparison by the way. So.... Now what? Is there a step-by-step guide to getting started? I'm a little overwhelmed with some of the guides I've seen which seem to be more geared to those that have a clue what they doing (which I don't).
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
Learning to play DnD is outside the scope of the Roll20 Forums.  I would suggest checking out some real play podcasts to get a feel for how to play.  I like the audio podcast "Going in Blind" for an intro to 5eDnD.  There are plenty of other podcasts specifically on dungeon mastering and gaming in general. You might also see about discussions on reddit.com/r/dnd or reddit.com/r/rpg and that sort of thing. Getting in some one-shot pick-up games (look for "The Color Animal Inn" ) would be another great way of getting some experience. If you need any help with Roll20 specific topics, the forum is your baby, just ask.
The Aaron said: Learning to play DnD is outside the scope of the Roll20 Forums.  I would suggest checking out some real play podcasts to get a feel for how to play.  I like the audio podcast "Going in Blind" for an intro to 5eDnD.  There are plenty of other podcasts specifically on dungeon mastering and gaming in general. You might also see about discussions on reddit.com/r/dnd or reddit.com/r/rpg and that sort of thing. Getting in some one-shot pick-up games (look for "The Color Animal Inn" ) would be another great way of getting some experience. If you need any help with Roll20 specific topics, the forum is your baby, just ask. Great ideas, thank you.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Welcome to Roll20! Please consider checking out our  Tutorial . This in-game walk-through will show you how to use various parts of our Virtual Tabletop (VTT). Additionally, starting your own test game to play with different features and controls is a fantastic way of getting used to the software and layout! If you are ready to jump into some adventures, check out the  Looking For Group Tool  and  Looking for Group Forum  daily for games that may be of interest to you. Also, be sure to fill out your  User Profile and set up your user avatar :) Your "Bio" is where you have a chance to catch a GM's eye with a well-written statement about yourself The "Enjoys Playing" section is important for two reasons: Every entry you put here is a data-point for  The Orr Group Industry Report  of games being played, and it lets other people looking at your profile know a bit more about you The "Actively Seeks Group For" section is where you can add yourself to the  Player Directory  for systems you want to play We also have a  wiki  where you can find answers to a lot of your questions! However, if you can't find an answer, feel free to post in our  various sub-forums  based on their particular topics. Completely new to Role-Playing Games?  Check out our  Introduction to Tabletop RPGs  wiki page. Good luck (and loot) on your adventures!
I've got an 'open game/lobby' with a handful of simple guides which helps explain D&amp;D in a simple a way as possible, and then, how this translates into how to play on roll20. Check it out here:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/join/2466612/xgTrIQ" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/join/2466612/xgTrIQ</a>