Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Where to enable advanced fog of war

Greetings folks. I see where I can use it, but not sure where I can 'enable' it on the entire map. Also If I reset and use fog of war for the entire map, the GM does not see it,  or does he? Is there a quick run down on how to enable, use such a great feature?  Thanks! 
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Enabling advance fog of war The GM, unless they log into the game as a player, gets to see everything and that includes anyone that is a co-GM.
Ah ok.how do I enable it?
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Enabling Advanced Fog of War To enable Advanced Fog of War, go to the&nbsp; Page Settings &nbsp;dialog box from the Page Toolbar. Directly below the Fog of War checkbox is the section for the Advanced Fog of War feature settings. There are four Advanced Fog of War settings that can be managed from the Page Settings: Enabled Checkbox: &nbsp;The&nbsp; Enabled &nbsp;checkbox will turn Advanced Fog of War on for the page when checked. Show Grid Checkbox: &nbsp;When this option is disabled, the grid lines will only be visible within the token's line of sight even if there are other areas of the Page that has been revealed to that token. Enabling&nbsp; Show Grid &nbsp;checkbox will make the grid visible over all revealed areas of the Page. If the Grid has been turned off on the Page, it will not generate a visible grid even if you have Show Grid enabled under Advanced Fog of War. Dim Light Reveals Checkbox: &nbsp;By default, if a Token has Emit Lights settings established on the token's Advanced Token Settings, Advanced Fog of War will reveal an area that is only within "bright" light. It will ignore the larger radius that is cast in "Dim" light if available on the Token Settings. The&nbsp; Dim Light Reveals &nbsp;checkbox, once checked, forces the boundary of the fog reveal to include both bright and dim light cast by the Token. <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/images/a/a7/AFoW_Page_Settings.png" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/images/a/a7/AFoW_Page_Settings.png</a>
I found the settings. This feature is awesome. Is dynamic lighting 'better' or do you use both? It seems for me learning to use roll20's tools and features Id not use dynamic lighting initially unless you think they both work well in tandem.&nbsp; How can the player or DM designate that light is coming from a player? For example a player is carrying a lantern or a torch or a mage cast's light on a players shield? Sorry for the heaps of questions, the wiki crashed on me just now.&nbsp;

Edited 1536509310
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I don't use Advanced Fog of War because it can be a severe performance problem for lower end computers.&nbsp; YMMV. You can use the Torch API script to easily set various types of vision: !torch with a token selected gives you a standard 20ft bright, 20ft more dim, all players see it. !torch 120 -5 no Gives you 120ft dim vision that only the controllers of the token can see (think Darkvision) !torch 120 60 yes --60 Gives you a 60º arc of 60ft bright, 60ft more dim (think, Bullseye Lantern). You can get help with: !torch --help There are several other commands. TokenMod is also really great for setting up light sources.&nbsp; This is my current TokenMod macro (I give it to my players), which will give you a whole menu of possible light sources for the selected token(s): !token-mod --set ?{Vision|Torch, light_radius#40 light_dimradius#20 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes|Hooded Lantern, light_radius#60 light_dimradius#30 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes|Bullseye Lantern, light_radius#120 light_dimradius#60 light_angle#60 light_hassight#yes light_otherplayers#yes|Lamp, light_radius#30 light_dimradius#15 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes|Candle, light_radius#5 light_dimradius#=0 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#yes|Darkvision, light_radius#60 light_dimradius#=-5 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#no|Darkvision (90'), light_radius#90 light_dimradius#=-5 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#no|Warlock Devil's Sight, light_radius#120 light_dimradius#=120 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#no|No light source(Dusk), light_radius#120 light_dimradius#=-5 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#no|Fog, light_radius#200 light_dimradius#=5 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#no|No light source, light_radius#5 light_dimradius#=-5 light_hassight#yes light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#no|Blinded, light_hassight#no light_angle#360 light_otherplayers#no} Also, remember that you can select a token hand hit ctrl-L (or cmd-L on mac) to see what that token can see. One more note on light direction.&nbsp; Most token artwork faces "down", but light faces "up"&nbsp; You can get them in line with this TokenMod command: !token-mod --on fliph flipv --set rotation|180 Basically, this flips the image horizontally and vertically (which has the effect of rotating it 180º, then rotates the token 180º, leaving the rotation handle pointing in the direction that the token does.&nbsp; Light is always centered on the rotation handle, so that makes a handy pointing device. =D
I need to pin or copy n paste this info.. super helpful.