Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Sheet.json "Instructions"-section - How does it work?

Edited 1536952578
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Or rather, what is the base syntax it uses? Would be useful if we want to make more elaborate Instructions for sheets.  Based on some investigation I have a suspicion it uses some form of Markdown, but seems to needs '\n' or '\r' for line breaks/newline. At least some HTML stuff doesn't work, as I found a HTML hyperlink that doesn't show up at all in the Sheet's selection preview. 
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
You're right...it's markdown and you've got the line breaks correct.
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Dammit, it say so in the GitHub Guidelines , how did I miss this? Okay, but does that mean all Markdown stuff works? Even the official sheet's don't use more Markdown than hyperlinks and unordered lists, so I can't be sure if any more stuff works.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Compendium Curator
I know it supports headings, bold, and italics. I haven't personally tried unordered lists, but it does support nested lists, as well.  The trick is to make sure that you don't delete al the necessary spaces. I create my text in a Markdown editor so I can see what it will like and wherever I would have a carriage return I put the \n, and if I'm double spacing I use \n\n.  Then when I get it ready for the json file, I delete the each \n and stop, being sure to leave all the necessary white space for any bullets that may be nested, etc.

Edited 1537199128
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
Can we get an offical word if all Markdown formatting works for the "instructions”-section? I'm especially interested if images work.