Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Pre-order D&D 2024 now and get an exclusive bonus, only on Roll20!
Create a free account

D&D 5E Magic Missile

The spell "Magic Missile" is defaulting to 1d4+1 damage, it should be 3d4+3. Thanks.
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Which character sheet and system is this for?  I can think of a number of possible systems that have Magic Missile in them, and the likely systems have multiple sheets where this error might be arising.  We're going to need more information, please,before I can even direct your bug report :)

Edited 1537571263
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
On which character sheet? Is this damage calculated by clicking on a spell dropped from the compendium, or a custom ability? Technically, a magic missile is 3 missiles of 1d4+1. 3d4+3 would not allow you to independently assign damage to different targets. Edit: sniped. :)
Sorry for the lack of information, it's the OGl sheet and the spell is dragged directly from the compendium. It is true that the magic missile has 3 different darts, however with spell tracking it keeps subtracting spell slots with each dart, which becomes cumbersome (same with scorching ray.) I believe magic missile used to roll all the damage together, however if this design is intentional then so be it.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Actually, this fits perfectly with the usage of the spell (believe it or not). The official ruling is you roll once for the damage of the missile, and that damage is used for each missile. No one I know runs it that way, but the macro is correct.
Almighty. This is probably a leap, but for this spell and scorching ray, is there a way to work correctly with spell tracking without making a new macro? To fire the magic missile you need to click it three times in this case, each time a spell slot is subtracted.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Certainly. If you wish each missile to have variable amount of damage, click the gear icon next to the spell name and change the damage from 1d4+1 to 3d4+3. Any spell you drag and drop is editable. Just be aware that if you now decide to hit more than one target with your missiles, you will need to hover over the result in chat to see how each die rolled.
Thanks

Edited 1537589740
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Since this is technically not a bug, I'll update the thread title and move this over to Specific Questions :)