Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Question regarding Tomb of Annihilation

I'm new to Roll20 and I wanted to start playing with 3 friends at D&D: since this will be the first time for me as a GM and I don't have that much time to invest in preparation, I was thinking of buying Tomb of Annihilation in order to help me. My question is: how it works since there will be only 3 players? is doable? can someone use 2 PG or can I adapt the adventure fro 3 players? Thanks for the help!!

Edited 1538673317
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hard question to answer, since it's more of a question for WotC, and not for Roll20. It is certainly physically possible on the platform to run an adventure for any number of people (within reason). But for a review of the adventure, you'd be better served asking a discussion forum such as Reddit, or a question and answer site such as rpg.stackexchange.com. The Roll20 forums are dedicated to discussing the platform and how to use it, not general RPG discussion. I can tell you that the game is advertised on our Marketplace and other promotional media as being " a  Dungeons & Dragons  fifth edition adventure designed to begin with a party of four to six 1st-level characters". As such, since you are new, you could probably advance the level of the PCs by 1-2 levels, without undue stress. You will doubtless become more skilled at fine tuning the opposition as you gain experience. Edit: The introduction of the adventure does have advice on how to introduce new PCs to replace fallen ones, or how higher experience levels will affect play experience of the different sections.
Ziechael
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Another key thing to remember is that you don't have to give them the full force to fight all at once, some potential ideas: in some battles break the initial group into waves of monsters to allow your players a chance to regroup and not get swarmed reduce the number of opposition outright don't have every fight be to the death, once the PCs are conclusively 'winning' have the bad guys run away or surrender (fun for those kill vs mercy character development opportunities too) Introduce a couple of GM controlled PCs for tricky situations (not advised as a long term solution because even without trying the GM can't help but metagame lol), these can be as simple as a recurring wandering ranger who crosses their path and helps out before leaving or even an entire patrol of local town guards who are out investigating the same things have your players run 2 characters each (not really advised, hard to get investment in 2 characters in the long term) Some of the above might not apply to ToA too well given it's somewhat unique elements. I would highly recommend running them through The Masters Vault , a free one-shot 5e game. Familiarise yourself with the GM side and gauge their effectiveness as a team to help you decide how best to run a larger module :)
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
WotC adventures seem to be geared toward 5 PCs, but I found treating it as for 4 PCs worked better for my group. Because I have had different numbers of players from week to week, I divide up the encounter XP by 4 and then multiply it by the number of heroes I have at the table. Usually this means adding or subtracting 1 or 2 creatures per PC above or below 4. For the rare solos that have no resistance or immunity, you can adjust hp by 40 for each hero above 4 (or add or remove 1 use of legendary resistance for creatures that have that). This is what I used when I ran a level 1 to 20 Age of Worms campaign in 5e, and each of the War of the Burning Sky adventures in the Roll20 marketplace gives suggestions on how to adjust each encounter for different numbers of heroes.
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
From my experience, 3 players should be fine for one reason: Tomb of Annihilation provides lots of NPC companions organically in the adventure. There are guides available, plus Artus and Dragonbait are out in the jungle somewhere, and of course Vorn can be found and controlled pretty early on. If you can get your players to pick one of the more powerful guides (Azaka for instance) she can help balance the party out very early on. And as DM, bring in Artus and Dragonbait earlier rather than later, and play up the Vorn quest. Soon you'll have a 6 or 7 member party even with only 3 players. (If that sounds overwhelming, you can perhaps let your players run some of the NPCs during battle to help take the load off of you). If you don't want to go down the road of all those NPC's joining the party, I could also recommend that Roll20 is a very social platform, and there are always other players looking to join games. Unless it would take away from the real-life-friends nature of your game, you could easily open up the game to find one or two more players through the LFG tool and forum here.
As this will be my first post in roll 20, I hope this helps.  I was in the exact situation you are in. I had a group of 3 people who I was DMing and they wanted to continue playing while we had just started a homebrew campaign. I worked 40+ hours a week over night so it was getting harder to create content for me at the time and still is. I talked to them about it before hand and we agreed to move over to the Tomb of Annihilation. I bought the module here and I have to tell you, it saved me more stress than I could have imagined. However, there were issues that arose. The main one being, the freedom of the group. The campaign is dangerous. People have a high chance of dying and as per the rules of Tomb of Annihilation, they are permanently dead. After a simple encounter, a wraith sneak attack round, crit with its life drain to instantly kill a party member. That domino effect caused a TPK that forced a soft reset on the campaign. Now in the reality of the campaign, the players realized, they would have to decide whether they wanted to restart, continue as new players, (which I recommend and the book suggests as well), and I decided on a soft reset.  I don't want to rant before I give you more of what you want to hear. This is important because though all of this was easily facilitated by the module, how to reset on a TPK, experience and communication with the group can solve this, but a concern that rose up that we could not avoid, was something unique to this campaign. There is a time frame. There is a set destination that needs to be discovered. They cannot leave, and return. This adventure, is about stopping a world ending event, the death curse will have major rammifications if not stopped. So there is a lot of pressure to push the players into moving forward.  They took a toll when people realized, they wanted to do something else. But as per the adventure, leaving Chult, is basically, choosing to throw out the entire purchase. There are no maps outside of this adventure world of Chult, and the Tomb of Annihilation. You are headed here and discovering a hex grid together, in pursuit of the Tomb. If your players decide, this isn't what we want, there can be a big whole now in your pocket, in terms of a purchased campaign, that has little flexibility, outside the plot. Now, we solved this through communication. I think for you, it will be good to discuss what would happen if there was a TPK. Because it can happen, and characters well developed that fall with the entire party, can leave a taste in peoples mouth, that ends a campaign. There are solutions in the book. That I came up with. That you will see as things develop. But I wish for me, doing what you did, I discussed this ahead of time thoroughly, because though we resolved it and continued by skipping chapters they completed already, there was a break where I felt I made the wrong choice. As for specifically, running ToA with 3 people, it is doable, and I recommend two things. 1) Creating an NPC that the players choose as their ringer to adventure with them. Discuss what they need or are looking for in terms of combat and character. They chose a druid focused on CC and tanking as a dinosaur. 2) Focus on the unique encounters ToA offers, that are not combat oriented. There will be a lot of damage rolls going on. You do not need to add to it. There is a fog that spreads madness, I made it much like the show Lost, where is crept toward them, and then chased them in a direction they did not want to head in. Discovering caches of lore, like a priest who died long ago, clutching scrolls. However, his body is dangling in the canopy above a tar pit. These two things made ToA easier for a smaller group who could be more prepared for difficult encounters designed for high risk.  I hope I gave you something you can use to make your decision. Good luck!
Thank you all for the great answers, they are helping me a lot. In 2 days I will speak with my group and we will decide how to go on!