Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Help][5e] Tokens dragged from linked character sheet are not using the updated name of the character

I'm using the Lost Mine of Phandelver module from WotC and it comes with 5 character tokens that are linked to the 5 character sheets. When I edit to token to link any stats or anything, it all works. Except for the name. No matter what I name the character in the Character Sheet, the token always comes out named "Halfling Rogue" or "Human Fighter" etc. The wiki says linking tokens will cause the tokens to always update to changes on the character sheet.
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
If the name tag on the token has been changed, it isn't linked to the character name any more, unfortunately.  You'll need to drag those tokens to the map, edit the token to show the new name in the character sheet, delete the current default token set the token on the map as the new default token Step 3 and 4 are vital, if you want to keep the token updated.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
It can be a little confusing until you get used to it. What is happening is that some character sheet values, like HP are called by the token. The name that displays on the token, however is a property of the token itself . This is desirable for many reasons. For example, all of your goblin tokens can link to the sheet named "Goblin", but each of those tokens can have a unique name: "Goblin 1", "Goblin 2", "Goblin 3" and so forth. Or your PC sheet could have the name "Bobarello Confusticus the Great", but your token would take up a lot of screen real estate with a label like that, so it can just have the name "Bob". GG has the right of it. The order of those events is important. If you change the name of a token from "Halfling Fighter" to "Frito Humdinger", you have only changed that one token that is already sitting on the tabletop. Each character has a saved (default) token. If you pull out a fresh token, it will be identical to the last one saved: "Halfling Fighter". That is why you need to get your token just how you want it, delete the current default token, and assign your new perfect one to that sheet. After that, every token you pull from that sheet will be identical to your modified one.
Got it working, thanks for the help