Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[LFP]Champions Grim Tidings

A year ago the Earth passed through the tail of a rogue comet. As it did all the A-list supers, hero and villains, vanished. Superman and Supergirl vanished. As did Batman, the Avengers, every other member of the Justice League, Spider-Man, etc. The only good news is that the A-list villains vanished too. Bizarro, Magneto, the Juggernaut, Lex Luthor, etc. gone without a trace. Even the ones who were safely incarcerated in super-prisons worldwide have not been seen since. With the worlds most powerful heroes gone the remaining super villains ran rampant. SHIELD (Supreme Headquarters for International Espionage, Law Enforcement Division) tried to fill the vacuum without success. America was tired of relying on the unreliable United Nations for help with the madness that followed what became known as the Great Exodus, eventually just the Exodus, and formed its own version of SHIELD. They called it PRIMUS (Primary Response and Interdiction Military United Service). PRIMUS worked on the Federal level, against supers who crossed state lines in their quest for mayhem or robbed banks or committed kidnappings. The States were to be protected by SAT, Special American Tactics, a PRIMUS-like group that took its orders from the State Governors much like the National Guard. The mayors of cities were not going to be left with their pants around their ankles. The cities that could afford a special police divisions to try to deal with remaining super villains were born. In most cities they have their own names, collectively they have become known as PART units (Paranormal Alert and Response Teams). These groups do not work together as well oiled parts of a greater whole. More often they get in each others way, refuse to share information because of personal or jurisdictional biases. The general public has been left to rely on super heroes, the one who did not vanish in the Exodus and those who arose afterwards. This is the beginning of their stories…. Villains will range from world conquering madmen like Doctor Destroyer (or perhaps Doctor Doom) to disease ridden sexual predators such as Germ. You will likely see characters 'borrowed' from movies, television, and comics (DC, Marvel, and others). The game will be run as Hero System 5ER, modified, a link to some House Rules is posted in the discussion section, please check it out. The Campaign city is yet to be determined but I am leaning towards New York (mainly because of its size and population). Combat abilities are important but Role Playing and detective work are a must. We would welcome additional players!
I am very interested in joining this. But would need to know when, i'm flexible timewise but I need to know it won't clash with my other session.  As for some personal information : Im 25 Got a good bit of experience in playing all kind of tabletops. I assume we are playing as heros and not villains, which i would honestly prefer i dont know how good of a villain i'll be! If you need any other information let me know!
We meet on the 2nd Sunday of the month at 6PM CST. We started with 4 (or five) players and yes they are heroes. Two of the 'founding' members have since gone AWOL, I don't know if they are coming back or are just having scheduling problems. One of the AWOL members was Crimson Knight. He is/was rich and provided a cash stipend (i.e. pay) for the other characters who wanted to focus on being full-time super heroes and quit their day jobs. Shockwave took the offer rather than remaining a waiter at a small diner. I am off to work so I will answer more questions as you pose them!
A question that I have that I haven't seen answered (perhaps I missed it in the original post), is if this is a voice or text game.  I assume voice, since people running text games tend to remember to add that fact, while voice gamers seem to assume that everyone uses voice, but I wanted to ask to make sure.
I have trouble with my hands, diabetic neuropathy, so we generally use Skype for voice communications. I have not had much luck using the voice aspects of Roll20. I tried Discord once but (for me) it was laggy and less reliable than Skype. Do you have any other questions? I'd love to answer them to the best of my ability!
No, thank you.  That answered everything that I need to know.
I have to admit interest but am confused about the setting. Is it just covering all the bases by combining the DC and Marvel Universes? And are you looking for strictly good heroic Heroes, or are you more open to morally ambiguous characters (think X-Force)? And how do you feel about so inexperienced that it's still shiny and got that new player smell?
The universe is a combination of Marvel, DC, The Champions Universe, AC (the world of FemmForce), Image, Wildstorm, and more but only portions of each. In some cases large portions of such universes (depending on how much information I have setting on my bookshelf. Morally ambiguous characters are fine but please no psychotic killers!
Ok, so wide variety of Earth universes compressed into one, cool. Psychotic killers are amoral, so no worries there. I've just seen a couple of games that want the heroes to be Superman morality because it's a "superHERO" campaign. Which leaves those of us that like more realistic, plenty of grey area types going "but what if I don't want my character motivation to only be because it's the right thing to do?" Not all heroes have a total code against killing.

Edited 1539727004
I've always preferred for the characters to decide how they want to interact with the universe. If you like I can send you some newspapers from the campaign and try to include some of the adventure outlines that they've been on. Since the game meets monthly there haven't been that many sessions.
That's always been my view on gaming. To the point that I would torture my ex-brother-in-law when we played because he played the self-righteous Paladin, every time, and I was always something that would set him off (to be fair, that was mostly due to me hating him because he played what he was, no imagination. Not that I had much choice in party members, there's a reason he's an ex). Anyways, after sharing that little tidly bit of what was probably too much information, that sounds wonderful, and I'd love to wear off some of the shininess from my gaming experience. 
Any idea what kind of character you'd like to play? I'm at work right now (Doordash food delivery driver) so I"ll send the news when i get back to the hotel. My family just moved and haven't found a house yet.
I was thinking about trying to recreate the telepath illusionist I had when I first dabbled in Hero, but I find that recreating her is becoming quite the headache (may have something to do with 5e instead of 5er) but I'll just fiddle with her later. So I'll try a new character idea and see how well an umbrakinetic fleshs out. I'll probably get frustrated and scrap it a dozen times before I feel like I'm getting somewhere XD No worries. Life happens, done the hotel thing for a while (sucked big blue monkey balls), my life has a fair bit of freedom now. As is evident by my Who binging.
Myself i have so many character ideas, i find it hard to focus on just one. I want to try them all and see which on is the funnest.
When in the corporate setting during our brainstorming sessions we threw everything against a wall to see what would stick.