Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Gabriel Pickard Maps

I have purchased 3 set from Gabriel Pickard : Village to Pillage: Small Town 1, Hassle-free Castles: Small Keeps, And Village to Pillage: Small Town 2 River Side. I am having a very difficult time getting to line up am I being too picky and need to align the grid each time my players move into one of the rooms because I can not get any one image to align up across the map. i am trying to figure out why a grid was made into the map by the creator. 

Edited 1542215063
I've bought a bucket load of his tiles. I have a few tricks that I use to line up maps. It's a joy when they all line up.  I start out by turning the grid on the page red, and increase the opacity to 75% Then, drop the tile in.  Then, select the tile, right click > Advanced > align to grid.  The align to grid tool wants you to select a 3x3 grid pattern that is drawn on the map. Once you select a box shape from the 3x3 grid that you see (anywhere) the next dialog box will pop up to make sure you select the right settings. It will report a number of pixels by a number of pixels. Since you know the tile is square, I would make sure that the pixels it is showing you are the same in both places.  That usually gets it really close. The tile should stretch to almost meet the dimensions of your grid.  Then you can turn down the grid and make it less shiny color.  Optionally, Here's something that I discovered recently. Why do I need a grid? I use the grid to set things up and make things line up perfectly for monsters and other objects, but when I am in a session, I have been turning the grid off so players aren't required to stay exactly in the grid. The world doesn't have a grid. the grid is really there to help us measure movement during high speed combat, but we aren't required to snap to the grid.  Hope it helps!

Edited 1542217330
Gabriel P.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Howdy.  For alignment to grid all my newer sets have the best fit measurements in the the file name (you can right click on an art asset go to advanced and set the dimensions in grid squares).  Older sets don't always have the measurements in the names, but often in the descriptions (village to pillage is always 20x20 for example).  I'm a bit uncertain about the "grid made into the map by the creator" I sometimes use tiles and if so I do try to make sure they fall onto the grid (square tiles that are a bit off the grid can be maddening) but none of my maps should have grids on them.   Here's an example of a map from Small towns with an exagerated grid on it.  Let me know if I can clarify anything for you.  Happy gaming!
Pat
Pro
API Scripter
Can I just say that your maps are essentially what allows me to GM here? The piecemeal ones I've managed to cobble together into all sorts of interesting encounter permutations using multiple sets - every time I think "I can't do that map..." I look and there is another map set... Thank you. 
basically its a roll20 problem that it doesnt show the assets in the original size. i'm using dungeon painter studio for example to make my maps and this will show assets in the right dimensions and everything from the sets of gabriel fits perfectly together. 
My trick is generally to turn the grid off and manoeuvre things around, then use environmental props such as trees or rocks to hide the offending area, I've managed to make some pretty good maps if I may say so myself.