Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Travelling line effect on map

Hi, folks. I'd like to have a travelling line on a map, like we see in the Indiana Jones movies. Is there a tool that does this? If not, are there API functions which can be used to code such a tool?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
You could approximate it with the API. You could also use the measure tool to show the arrow, in a more limited fashion.  I’m not aware of any scripts that do this. 
The Aaron said: You could approximate it with the API. You could also use the measure tool to show the arrow, in a more limited fashion.  I’m not aware of any scripts that do this.  Ok, I'll try to code something. Thanks, Aaron.
The Aaron said: You could approximate it with the API. You could also use the measure tool to show the arrow, in a more limited fashion.  I’m not aware of any scripts that do this.  Unfortunately, I don't think the available functions offer the necessary elements for this. As you've observed in other threads, it lacks a function to get the coordinates of a click (this could be circumvented with tokens for waypoints, though). Also, as far as I can tell, there is also no way to animate the drawing of a path. I'll add this to the suggestions forum. It'd be a nice touch.
Damn, now I want this. :D
Ravenknight said: Damn, now I want this. :D I added it to the suggestions forum. You may vote for it: <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7030883/travelling-line-effect-on-map" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/7030883/travelling-line-effect-on-map</a>
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I would probably do this by having a token to set the waypoints using the built in waypoint system (then access the last path for where it should go), or by drawing a path on the GM layer or map layer (then change it to transparent to hide it).&nbsp; Then I’d trigger animating the travel with an api command, then either draw arc segments and a moving arrow head, or a trail of dots along the path. The biggest problem would probably be the inability of the API to pull the player views along.&nbsp;