Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting API? (Maybe from D&D 5e - Waterdeep: Dragon Heist Roll20 Module?)

So, I was playing Waterdeep: Dragon Heist on Roll20. My DM bought the module here, so he has everything at his disposal for that game. From maps, tokens, sheets, dynamic lighting, etc. I was surprised that the way dynamic lighting works in that game is so smooth because when I drag my token around without dropping it, the dynamic lighting changes according to the dynamic lighting obstructions on the walls etc. My question is, does this feature comes with the Roll20 module or is there any API that lets you do that? I'm a Pro subscriber and I'm running Out of the Abyss and I would love to apply the same feature in my game.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That is a setting available while activating Dynamic Lighting on a page. From the Wiki: If you or your players suffer from sluggish dynamic lighting render results you might want to consider checking the option  Only Update on Drop . What this option does when checked is that the tabletop only redraws the dynamic lighting  after  a token has been picked up and placed elsewhere on the map. This can lessen the render burden for users running on old computers or when a GM is working with a very large or complex map. Many GMs turn on "Only Update on Drop" to keep players from running their token all around a dungeon and releasing it back in the square they started from. This would allow them to scan the all available areas of the map without alerting the GM.
Oh, alright. I feel stupid not to know this. It turns out I always have it turned on instead of off. Thank you for the explanation! 
Isaac, The Keeper said: Oh, alright. I feel stupid not to know this. It turns out I always have it turned on instead of off. Thank you for the explanation!  But as @keithcurtis says, you need to be careful with that function as players can abuse it without you really knowing. If you trust your players, then turn it to OFF  and let the players enjoy the dynamic light updates as they drag their tokens around. Personally what I ask is that my players move their tokens with WASD, then not only does the lighting update as they move, it also allows them to react if they reveal something along the way. I don't enforce this rule, but since my players are mostly videogamers it's also easier for them to adopt.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
So long as they keep in mind their movement total (cursor key movement eliminates the ability to use the ruler as fully), Evan's method is very immersive. It also works well with other scripts like It's a Trap!