Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is there any way to hook into the API with Visual Studio Code to do debugging?

Pretty much the title; Visual Studio Code has had a lot of development recently, and it includes some great features for debugging code, listing references and declarations, etc. that, for obvious reasons, need access to the whole code environment to function.  Does everyone rely on testing their stuff directly in the sandbox, or have any of you found a better way?
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
I simulate the environment locally with some simple node scripts and Linux shell commands. There isn’t a way to tie into the running api for true debugging. The best you can do is log or print output. 
The Aaron said: I simulate the environment locally with some simple node scripts and Linux shell commands. There isn’t a way to tie into the running api for true debugging. The best you can do is log or print output.  Is this the Mock20 project I read about, or something you cooked up yourself? Personally, I haven't tried it yet, I just isolate the more difficult to debug classes in test programs to run locally under Node.js without much mocking.
The Aaron
Pro
API Scripter
No, it’s something else. The Mock20 project cropped up later. Frankly, it’s probably more thorough. What I do is a bit more manual, and I only really do that for more complicated scripts like Search. Generally, they only lightly depend on Roll20’s interface, so I mock those parts explicitly, then run it with node every time the script file changes while I’m working on it.