Roll20 experienced a Security Breach. And Fanburst is shutting down. Please click to read.
Advertisement Create a free account

Charactermancer Development Now Publicly Available

Edited 1548795394
Cassie
Roll20 Team
Charactermancer Sheet Developer Documentation Now Available The Charactermancer developer documentation is now available in the wiki . We provided a preview of the documentation in June when we released Charactermancer, and now that it's relatively stable (and documented!), we're opening it up for character sheet authors to use in their own sheets. This also means that Character Sheet authors may now check in character sheets that contain Charactermancer elements in the code. Please note that Charactermancer-powered sheets must still adhere to the Character Sheet Standards , and may not include copyrighted information  without proof of permission from the publisher. 
Scott C.
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Excited to see what the community does with this!
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
Scott C. said: Excited to see what the community does with this! I’m guessing not much: Do not infringe on intellectual property . Community sheets should not include character creation or advancement due to potential copyright restrictions. What constitutes “proof” that we have permission?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
I would guess you'd need written permission from the copyright holder. Many games have OGL content as well. IANAL. :)
Cassie
Roll20 Team
A number of sheets are developed or commissioned by the publishers. In these cases a sheet author may submit a sheet that potentially contains copy written content when the publisher has granted permission. As Keith pointed out, there are also games with OGLs which allow some of their content to be used.
Finderski
Pro
Sheet Author
But what constitutes "proof?" I'm not trying to be obstinate or negative, I really want to know. I have permission to use the Savage Worlds logo (along with a few other logos), but that permission is in an e-mail. Is that sufficient?  And if we obtain permission to do more with things like the Charactermancer, how do we submit that sheet along with the approval? I have no problems going to Shane Hensley and asking for permission to include things in a Charactermancer for the Savage Worlds Tabbed sheet...just not sure how to go about proving I have permission, etc.
Cassie
Roll20 Team
Its a fair question. An email from the publisher that you could forward to us on request with a sheet submission should be sufficient for now. I'll pass along the question so we can get a streamlined process.