Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account
This post has been closed. You can still view previous posts, but you can't post any new replies.

Compendium Entries don't create Character Sheets when I drag them to Tabletop

I have recently purchased the Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual 5e Compendium, and it's not working quite the way that I envisioned. This is kind of an odd problem, and I couldn't find any solutions after searching the forums, so here goes: Let's say that I want to add a few goblins to my tabletop and start combat. I open the compendium, search for goblin, and drag the "Goblin" entry onto the tabletop map. Goblin token appears, HP are populated, but it's not linked to a character sheet. So there's a token, but its not linked to a sheet, so I have to do rolls and such manually. Now, if I do the same thing with the "Goblin Boss" entry from the compendium, a token appears, stats are populated.. AND I get a character sheet entry in my Journal with all of the attack macros that populate in the chat. Huzzah. It's the same thing with Orcs, Hobgoblins, Kobolds, etc. The "normal" Orcs compendium entries are not linked to a character sheet, but the Orc Warchief, Orc Eye of Gruumsh, etc. come with sheets.  Normal hobgoblins don't have sheets, but the chiefs and warlords do. Normal Kobolds don't have sheets, but the flying Kobolds do. Is there some difference between these compendium entries that I am ignorant of? Is there maybe a problem with the character sheet I am using? I'm using the "D&D 5E by Roll20" Character sheet, which is supposed to be Compendium-Compatible, and it appears to be so, except for the generic low-level humanoid monsters... which is SUPER weird. Anyway, I'm sure it's something simple that I'm screwing up, if someone could hip me to a solution that would be neat.

Edited 1549752897
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
It sounds to me that somehow only the monster from the Monster Manual automaticly gets character sheets while the free, default, monsters in the Compendium don't. While wating for actual answers from others, you might find some hints on the wiki's section on Compendiums .
Thank you, Andreas, that is consistent with what I'm seeing. Thought that the MM would "overwrite" the default monsters for sure. Oh well. For example, regular Gnolls come in with a sheet. Every kind of dragon comes in with a sheet. "Normal" Bugbears, Goblins, Orcs, Kobolds, etc... no sheet. So I'll have to do some legwork to create characters & link them to tokens for these "basic" monsters...
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
The highest likelihood here is that you have a character sheet in your game already labeled "goblin". If you have an existing "goblin", even if you drag from the compendium, you will drag a copy of your existing sheet and token setup. This is to prevent you accidentally overwriting any existing sheet you might have modified (maybe all your goblins use slings). Verify that you do not already have a "goblin" in your journals, and try again.
Hrmmm... It's a new campaign, but I have already loaded in some adventures that definitely have these creatures. That sounds like it might be a solution. I'll try fiddling with that and report back!
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Try shift-double click on the token. It will open the character sheet handout no matter where it is as long as it is in your campaign. That would be a quick way to verify if there is some other problem, or if it is just a matter of finding which journal folder has your character sheets.
Yep, looks like keithcurtis had it right. I had loaded up Tales of the Yawning Portal and the Compendium MM entries were still there, but did not drag into my Journal as an entry that had a character sheet. Just the token. So, I removed the module's journal entries for Kobold/Orc/Goblin, etc. Now the MM pre-made entries work as intended when I pull 'em in. Thanks, guys!
Hello LeberMac, We are glad to hear you were able to find the cause of your issue.  I am going to close this thread. If you have any further issues, feel free to open a new thread.