Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Pay-to-play, or not?

Is a game considered pay-to-play if playing is free, but you also sell players in game gold and magic items for real money?
Andreas J.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
Translator
If money is or can be involved, it's a Paid game. Have you read the Paid Game Guidelines?
I have now.  Thanks.
Would this listing be considered acceptable? Free to play, with optional bonus points available for $1/point via Paypal
Loren the GM
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Metal Jesus said: Would this listing be considered acceptable? Free to play, with optional bonus points available for $1/point via Paypal If your game has any payment associated, it isn't free under the Roll20 guidelines. You'll need to flag it as a paid game when posting in LFG tool/forum. And include the required text. In your case, it sounds like you fall under the a la carte definitions, so your text would need to be the following: This game encourages payment to the Game Master at a rate of < to be filled with a description of your method, amount, and frequency of payment including any price changing factors>. Roll20 is not responsible for any payment transactions and cannot enforce any private arrangements. I'd suggest filling in the "to be filled in part" with something like (where X is the amount of points each dollar buys): "$1 per X bonus points, which can be used to unlock certain skills or equipment in game." It is possible that Roll20 might want an even more detailed description than that, as while that defines how much a point costs, it doesn't really define how much a player could expect to spend, because the value of your points aren't really defined. As such, I would also very clearly define all of this in any posting you make, so that potential players know how much they would be spending to buy certain things in game before joining. I would list your exchange rate of $ per point, as well as a general price guide (Rare item costs $X, Legendary item costs $X, Skill increase costs $X, etc.).
Hi Metal Jesus, As Andreas and Loren stated, it falls under our paid guidelines when any money is involved.  When creating a LFG listing or forum post for a paid game, please be sure to be as detailed as possible regarding anything payment related to avoid confusion from potential players. Please be sure to follow our  Posting to LFG & Paid Games Guidelines.  Thanks! 
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
I'm baffled but very curious about this concept: why would people pay real money for in-game items in a roleplaying game? I'm not dismissing the concept (I support the concept of pay-to-play games). I am curious about what you plan with the game, and how you see it working?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
People pay Gold Farmers in WoW. Or pay for rare drops, or whole character builds. I could see it working, but it's probably not the sort of game I'd enjoy.
I decided to make this a pay-to-play game, with each session costing $1.  So far the only thing I'm offering for sale is bonus points (which can be used to improve die rolls, with some limitations).
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Actually, I did play a game like this at Gary Con, but it was for charity. It was a lot of fun and we raised $300 by the end of the game. I could see how it could appeal to a certain type of player, but if charity had not been the issue, I doubt I would have played it.
keithcurtis said: Actually, I did play a game like this at Gary Con, but it was for charity. It was a lot of fun and we raised $300 by the end of the game. I could see how it could appeal to a certain type of player, but if charity had not been the issue, I doubt I would have played it. What system was it?
Mike deBoston
Compendium Curator
Money for re-rolls could be kind of fun. There's nothing wrong with paying a GM for a good session, or helping offset the cost of buying tokens and maps. Charity sounds even better, of course.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Metal Jesus said: keithcurtis said: Actually, I did play a game like this at Gary Con, but it was for charity. It was a lot of fun and we raised $300 by the end of the game. I could see how it could appeal to a certain type of player, but if charity had not been the issue, I doubt I would have played it. What system was it? Pathfinder 2 demo. We were surprised to find that our GM was Jason Bulmahn, the lead designer.
vÍnce
Pro
Sheet Author
keithcurtis said: Metal Jesus said: keithcurtis said: Actually, I did play a game like this at Gary Con, but it was for charity. It was a lot of fun and we raised $300 by the end of the game. I could see how it could appeal to a certain type of player, but if charity had not been the issue, I doubt I would have played it. What system was it? Pathfinder 2 demo. We were surprised to find that our GM was Jason Bulmahn, the lead designer. Lucky Dog!