Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Animation Feedback Thread 2.0

Edited 1561936566
So I guess the real question is, is the roll20 team going to keep allowing for the sale of animated items on the market place even though its for a feature that isn't working correctly? Seems like bad practice. Would appreciate an answer on this.
I haven't been able to duplicate this behavior. My animations work fine on Chrome. Have you cleared your internet cache lately?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Animations Do Not Resize in Handouts A spot I found where animations are not handled quite the same as images is in handouts. An image will resize with the handouts dimensions so that you can see the full width of the image. However the animations seem to be falling off the side of the handout. You have to resize the handout to see the entire animation (or click the image to zoom).

Edited 1562053367
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Animations Do Not Show Preview Image in External Journal The animations are missing their preview image in a game's external journal. Whereas they do show preview images in the in-game journal.
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
Animations Do Not Gain Preview Image Outside of Recent Uploads If an animation is moved from the Recent Uploads section to a folder in the art library before the browser is refreshed, the preview image never shows up. Deleting the image from the folder so that it appears in the Recent Uploads section again restores the preview image. The animation can then be sorted again and retain the preview image.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Thanks, Brian. I can confirm two of those issues. I've got the Handout File needs to resize in Handouts documented, along with Animated Previews not appearing in External Journal. I wasn't able to duplicate the Preview Image failing outside of Recent Uploads. Is there a certain way you were able to get that to happen consistently?
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
It happened with 7 files, although they were within one or two sessions. I moved all of them to a folder before refreshing (as well as exiting an returning to the game). They continued to show a broken image icon for the preview. As soon as I deleted them from the folder so that they reappeared in Recent Uploads, the preview image showed up on them. I can try again, but it might be a few days before I get another opportunity.
Richard Jokes said: So I guess the real question is, is the roll20 team going to keep allowing for the sale of animated items on the market place even though its for a feature that isn't working correctly? Seems like bad practice. Would appreciate an answer on this. I have to agree with Richard here, continuing to allow people to buy these packs that simply won't function as advertised is not a great look for the quality team at R20.  I love your guys service and have no issue paying for goods the wonderful creators add to the marketplace, but at the very least a statement of *KNOWN BUGS AND AUDIO ISSUES* to animation packs on the marketplace would be a good idea until it becomes a bit more consistent.

Edited 1562187170
I have noticed the last few days that if I have too many animated tokens (literally dozens) on screen, it can cause chrome to crash. The crash notification includes a button to refresh the page, which works every time, but the crash would be extremely disappointing during a Twitch stream/YouTube video. I’m wondering if this is simply hardware related, as I don’t have the best hardware in the world.
Hey Gargamond, Hardware can have an effect, yes. There is also a limit to how much ram one tab can use at any given time. So 1GB or 16GM the browser ends up being a bottleneck in these situations.

Edited 1562890691
When I add an animated token to the initiative order, it stops animating. Doing this via any method, including right click add turn, rolling the initiative from the sheet, etc, causes this to happen as soon as the token appears on the initiative tracker. Up until that point, it animates fine. Note that it does not pause the animation; It actually turns the token into a static image. I have been able to circumvent the issue via a rollable table with multiple "sides" that are animated with the following procedure: Roll into initiative. Animation breaks (The play/pause button completely vanishes). Change token "side", it animates again. Additionally, if you have the turn tracker closed, roll its initiative, and then open the turn tracker, the same thing happens, though the animation works fine up until you open the tracker. The problem is therefore the tracker itself. Something about being added to the tracker removes the animation from the token. This will become an absolute nightmare to manage if I have to do this for every single token.
Kenton
Forum Champion
Translator
Iron said: When I add an animated token to the initiative order, it stops animating.  Thanks and good find Iron. A fix has been rolled out. If your animated tokens aren't looping now, you should be able to drag them back out from the Journal tab with no further issue.

Edited 1562964511
Kenton said: Iron said: When I add an animated token to the initiative order, it stops animating.  Thanks and good find Iron. A fix has been rolled out. If your animated tokens aren't looping now, you should be able to drag them back out from the Journal tab with no further issue. It doesn't seem to have worked. Rolling initiative for an animated token still converts the animated token to a static image. I could always drag animated tokens out from the journal; That never broke. The only issue was putting them into the initiative tracker, which then breaks the specific token added. To be clear, if I have several animated tokens on the VTT, and I roll initiative for just one of them, that specific token, and only that token, breaks. The rest continue to work, and if I drag another token of the same type as the broken one out from the journal, it animates fine. It is specifically the tokens that are added to the initiative tracker, and no others, that break.

Edited 1562966521
I have created a video displaying the problem I am having. <a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRfevvjVDnM&amp;feature=youtu.be" rel="nofollow">https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRfevvjVDnM&amp;feature=youtu.be</a> Note that each time one of them stops, it is not simply because the animation is paused. It is no longer an animated webm, it is converted to a static image. If I had to throw an educated guess at the issue: The projected solution to animated tokens appearing as broken images in the initiative tracker was to copy the first frame of the animation for use as a static image in the initiative tracker. To do this, the program converts the animated image into a static one comprised only of the first frame, takes the now static image, and uses that for the turn tracker. The problem arises when the system does not turn the static image back &nbsp;into an animated one, leaving instead the first frame as a static image. This theory is supported by the fact that tokens which are rollable tables with animated "sides" will "unbreak" if you then choose a different side after the token is converted. By forcing the token's image to change via the rollable table, it reloads the image, animation and all.
ok the issue seems to be fixed now, thanks guys!

Edited 1563047525
Aaaand its back. To be clear, its doing the same thing it did before again.
So its been over 3 months now since this has been released. I get it. Working with a system this large is probably an absolute nightmare to make huge additions to and I don't envy anyone working on the development side of this. Can we get some feedback on what the hold up is? I don't know anyone whose games don't instantly tank from either audio stuttering or the game just lagging to hell if any animated feature gets added. I have several DMs on here who all bought animated packs of one kind or another and none of us can use them. At what point do we start asking for refunds on these?
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
I'm someone whose game has not been negatively affected by animation.&nbsp; My GM purchased some animated spell effects tokens, and my character is running around with four Dancing Lights tokens, in a Ghosts of the Salt Marshes campaign.&nbsp; We use DL but not advanced fog of war, and we use discord for our voice communications.
My game, as well, has pretty much not been negatively affected by animated tokens since I stopped using advanced fog of war.&nbsp; I pretty much do the same as Gen Kitty's group.
So there are no updates at all? Pretty frustrating when you buy a pack that you can't even use in your maps. I have a pretty good computer and constantly I run as high as 60-90% CPU usage whenever I play around with these things. That and they don't even load properly once placed on the map - they often freeze between frames for 30ish seconds (I'm assuming because of the CPU usage.)

Edited 1563378321
Red Beard said: So there are no updates at all? Pretty frustrating when you buy a pack that you can't even use in your maps. I have a pretty good computer and constantly I run as high as 60-90% CPU usage whenever I play around with these things. That and they don't even load properly once placed on the map - they often freeze between frames for 30ish seconds (I'm assuming because of the CPU usage.) I too have noticed animated tokens freezing between frames and have a theory that tokens with two frames don’t jam with Roll20. I think Roll20 must have a refresh rate that interferes with two frame animations, causing a similar effect to that of the human eye seeing spokes on a bicycle wheel appear motionless whilst the bicycle is actually in motion.
Animations are simply not usable, if there are more than one on a page the game starts to lag bad. My in game music pauses and the animations seem to randomly drop in the z order so they are under my map. It pathetic how poorly this has been implemented.
Setting an animated imgsrc via the API causes the animation to pause / not loop. Synopsis When a token is given an animated imgsrc via obj.set("imgsrc", url), the token accurately changes to the new image, but the animation does not play. This happens whether the original imgsrc was static or animated. In order to make the animation play correctly, you can right-click the token and toggle Animation &gt; Stop Looping, then Animation &gt; Loop. This seems to kick the animation back into gear. Unfortunately, there is no way (that I know of) to do this automatically, via API or otherwise. Reproduction 1) Create a new API script, with the following code: setAnimatedImgSrc.js 2) Make sure that the "newImgSrc" variable on line 12 leads to a valid animated asset in your library. 3) Select any token on the map, then type "!animate" into chat to trigger the script. Expected Outcome The token's image is changed to the animated image specified in the script, which begins to automatically play and, ideally, loop. Actual Outcome The token's image is changed to the animated image specified in the script, but it is stuck/paused on the first frame. Although the token's context menu suggests that it should be playing and looping, it will not do either unless you manually toggle Animation &gt; Stop Looping, then Animation &gt; Loop.
I just spent three hours messing around with ffmpeg because I thought it was a problem on my end, but this bug is absolutely infuriating and cripples a whole design space for applying the awesome animation functionality to games.&nbsp; Without the ability to start animations with the API, they're relegated to a fun curiosity and nothing more.&nbsp; Please, please PLEASE fix this (... and, while you're at it, reconsider how suggestions and bug reports are prioritized: the current system of strict votes is a tyranny of the majority that freezes out content creators from bringing attention to even simple fixes (like this one!) that are really hampering our ability to make games on Roll20 more appealing for everyone!) Fek said: Setting an animated imgsrc via the API causes the animation to pause / not loop. Synopsis When a token is given an animated imgsrc via obj.set("imgsrc", url), the token accurately changes to the new image, but the animation does not play. This happens whether the original imgsrc was static or animated. In order to make the animation play correctly, you can right-click the token and toggle Animation &gt; Stop Looping, then Animation &gt; Loop. This seems to kick the animation back into gear. Unfortunately, there is no way (that I know of) to do this automatically, via API or otherwise. Reproduction 1) Create a new API script, with the following code: setAnimatedImgSrc.js 2) Make sure that the "newImgSrc" variable on line 12 leads to a valid animated asset in your library. 3) Select any token on the map, then type "!animate" into chat to trigger the script. Expected Outcome The token's image is changed to the animated image specified in the script, which begins to automatically play and, ideally, loop. Actual Outcome The token's image is changed to the animated image specified in the script, but it is stuck/paused on the first frame. Although the token's context menu suggests that it should be playing and looping, it will not do either unless you manually toggle Animation &gt; Stop Looping, then Animation &gt; Loop.
It seems like the current fix Roll20 is going for when it comes to the performance issues associated with using animations is to just ignore it and hope it goes away then?
Multiple Animations are still not compatible with music playing, they causes the music to pause at a regular basis and my animations keep changing Z order on their own and end up under the map. It's infuriating! I'm paying for this.
Ed S. said: Multiple Animations are still not compatible with music playing, they causes the music to pause at a regular basis and my animations keep changing Z order on their own and end up under the map. It's infuriating! I'm paying for this. Yes, it really feels like the feature was implemented without proper testing. I love the effect of animated torches but when they randomly kills the music it's simply not worth the hassle.
Drag/Drop Animated Image doesn't appear on Map Page It takes a long time to upload my 6MB (.webm) file but (most of the time) it works. I drag and drop the file to a new, empty page (While Map is selected), and I wait an even longer time, 5-10 mins easily. Nothing appears. I leave the game and come back (refresh) and I see the image in the Page Selection Panel, but there's no image, animated or otherwise, on the main page. There's nothing to select or right click, there's simply no image.&nbsp; refershing page listings! thumb.jpeg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) thumb.:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) thumb.:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) app.js?1565106060:550 init active page! app.js?1565106060:547 activate page! app.js?1565106060:547 FULLY ACTIVATE VIEWS FOR PAGE. app.js?1565106060:545 Do refresh link cache! thumb.jpeg:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) thumb.:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) thumb.:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) app.js?1565106060:560 Refresh Journal List! app.js?1565106060:560 Search took 68ms app.js?1565106060:547 Graphics: 13 app.js?1565106060:547 Paths: 0 app.js?1565106060:555 refershing page listings! app.js?1565106060:547 Reorder by ZORDER 3s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?156434626155:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?156454042755:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) 2app.js?1565106060:541 Error loading graphic, probably due to CORS. Trying once without CORS for <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615</a> (anonymous) @ app.js?1565106060:541 2s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?156434626155:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?156454042755:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?156453928855:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) app.js?1565106060:541 Error loading graphic, probably due to CORS. Trying once without CORS for <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615</a> (anonymous) @ app.js?1565106060:541 2s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?156453928855:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/88751152/gKFQxsi4fB0o0UT1wo0Jfw/med.webm?156539999355:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) 2s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?156453928855:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) app.js?1565106060:541 Error loading graphic, probably due to CORS. Trying once without CORS for <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?15645404275" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?15645404275</a> (anonymous) @ app.js?1565106060:541 2app.js?1565106060:541 Error loading graphic, probably due to CORS. Trying once without CORS for <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615</a> (anonymous) @ app.js?1565106060:541 app.js?1565106060:541 Error loading graphic, probably due to CORS. Trying once without CORS for <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?15645404275" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?15645404275</a> (anonymous) @ app.js?1565106060:541 app.js?1565106060:541 Error loading graphic, probably due to CORS. Trying once without CORS for <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885</a> (anonymous) @ app.js?1565106060:541 s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) 2app.js?1565106060:541 Error loading graphic, probably due to CORS. Trying once without CORS for <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885</a> (anonymous) @ app.js?1565106060:541 app.js?1565106060:541 Error loading graphic, probably due to CORS. Trying once without CORS for <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/88751152/gKFQxsi4fB0o0UT1wo0Jfw/med.webm?15653999935" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/88751152/gKFQxsi4fB0o0UT1wo0Jfw/med.webm?15653999935</a> (anonymous) @ app.js?1565106060:541 2app.js?1565106060:541 Error loading graphic, probably due to CORS. Trying once without CORS for <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885</a> (anonymous) @ app.js?1565106060:541 2app.js?1565106060:541 Could not load image from <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615</a> s @ app.js?1565106060:541 s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?15645404275:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) 2s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?15645404275:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) 2s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/88751152/gKFQxsi4fB0o0UT1wo0Jfw/med.webm?15653999935:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) 2s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 (Forbidden) app.js?1565106060:541 Could not load image from <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615</a> s @ app.js?1565106060:541 app.js?1565106060:541 Could not load image from <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?15645404275" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?15645404275</a> s @ app.js?1565106060:541 2app.js?1565106060:541 Could not load image from <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87709129/b5eRCeg-_Q7pGJsQIrhXAg/med.webm?15643462615</a> s @ app.js?1565106060:541 app.js?1565106060:541 Could not load image from <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885</a> s @ app.js?1565106060:541 app.js?1565106060:541 Could not load image from <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?15645404275" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87901127/UF0nK0PisXsEcLE0KQb0Og/med.webm?15645404275</a> s @ app.js?1565106060:541 2app.js?1565106060:541 Could not load image from <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885</a> s @ app.js?1565106060:541 app.js?1565106060:541 Could not load image from <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/88751152/gKFQxsi4fB0o0UT1wo0Jfw/med.webm?15653999935" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/88751152/gKFQxsi4fB0o0UT1wo0Jfw/med.webm?15653999935</a> s @ app.js?1565106060:541 2app.js?1565106060:541 Could not load image from <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/87900087/kXZx7X5AFFEwSKwCZjNAUA/med.webm?15645392885</a> s @ app.js?1565106060:541 app.js?1565106060:552 Show Character View Dialog! app.js?1565106060:552 --- RENDER CHARACTIVE VIEW ---- app.js?1565106060:552 Redoing charsheet html app.js?1565106060:552 371ms to end of html
Chrome and Firefox fail. Extensions and virus are disabled. I drag and drop the .webm file to the canvas while its in "Map &amp; Background" mode but the map never shows up. I have redone the .webm file many times over in different (progressively lower) resolutions and FPS, getting the file down to 6MB. Same issue. Other much smaller animated files work though. I try creating new pages and re-re-re uploading the animated map.. to no avail.
Hi Roland - Thank you for the detailed report and we are sorry that you're experiencing troubles with uploading. However, so we can best troubleshoot this issue, would you mind providing the below information at your convenience? You mentioned trying this with other smaller animation assets, but they worked. Do you have an estimation of the size they tend to be around? What was the largest size animation that was successfully uploaded and is working? Would you mind sharing the mentioned file with us for testing purposes? If yes, please either send it to myself via PM with a Dropbox link, or email it to us at&nbsp; <a href="mailto:Team@Roll20.net" rel="nofollow">Team@Roll20.net</a> &nbsp;as an attachment.
Tried to put an animated portal onto my map.... and the jukebox no longer works!
I've had the same issue, the music starts and stops as soon as I add animations Face said: Tried to put an animated portal onto my map.... and the jukebox no longer works!
Seeking update to animations impacting jukebox.&nbsp; Is this the best thread for such?
Hi Ryan, To confirm, are you referring to the jukebox stopping when adding an animation? Thank you! Ryan S. said: Seeking update to animations impacting jukebox.&nbsp; Is this the best thread for such?
Ryan said: I just spent three hours messing around with ffmpeg because I thought it was a problem on my end, but this bug is absolutely infuriating and cripples a whole design space for applying the awesome animation functionality to games. Likewise; I spent an enormous amount of time banging my head against the wall trying to find out what I was doing wrong (and then trying to come up with cheesy workarounds) before eventually giving up. I eventually resorted to running some clientside script injection to automatically toggle play/pause states for me, but that sort of hack is really unreliable (and honestly, shouldn't be necessary). Fingers crossed this gets dealt with, soon - I'd really like to start using some of the cool stuff this system teases at!
Mino
Marketplace Creator
Gonna add in here too that I also want the API to support animations properly. I've made spell animations with sound effects that I wanna call with the API, but can't due to a lack of support.
I'm getting a problem where a map with a few animated tokens instantly maxes out my CPU and causes significant slowdown and glitchy behaviour. I am aware of a seperate 100% CPU bug, but I have verified this is not the case, as this only occurs on maps with animated tokens. Is there a workaround, or do I simply have to stop using animated tokens entirely?
Is there an update to this?&nbsp; Or do we just have to accept the fact we've wasted money on animations?
The Illuminati said: I'm getting a problem where a map with a few animated tokens instantly maxes out my CPU and causes significant slowdown and glitchy behaviour. I am aware of a seperate 100% CPU bug, but I have verified this is not the case, as this only occurs on maps with animated tokens. Is there a workaround, or do I simply have to stop using animated tokens entirely? Hi, The Illuminati - Would you mind providing the name or a link to a game of yours that is these having problems, please? Also, would you mind giving me a brief rundown of your computer setup (I have listed what we would need below) and a console log from when you experience the issues as well? Thank you! Your computer's settings (A good place to find this info if you don't know it is&nbsp; Support Details ): Web Browser Browser Version Operating System If Javascript is enabled Your anti-virus software List of any browser add-ons or extensions enabled
Face said: Is there an update to this?&nbsp; Or do we just have to accept the fact we've wasted money on animations? Hello Face -&nbsp; Would you mind giving me a rundown of what issues you are experiencing, please? Also, if you get the opportunity, would you mind providing the additional info below as well. Thanks! The name or a link to a game of yours that is these having problems Your computer's settings (A good place to find this info if you don't know it is&nbsp; Support Details ): Web Browser Browser Version Operating System If Javascript is enabled Your anti-virus software List of any browser add-ons or extensions enabled
Six months - no news. Not even so much as a "We're working on it!"

Edited 1574072864
Brian C.
Pro
Marketplace Creator
Compendium Curator
lewis c. said: Six months - no news. Not even so much as a "We're working on it!" Check further up the page. They gave an update a few weeks ago. Shoot, I thought I was in the AFoW thread.
I'm just assuming at this point its not a fixable issue. Heavily recommend you tell your players / dms not to purchase animation packs on the market place. There seems to be a severe lack of communication on exactly what the problem is or if this was just a massive failing of not actually testing this feature before release to see if it was even possible. Maybe it was a combination of the both, but regardless, warn your friends.
Richard Jokes said: I'm just assuming at this point its not a fixable issue. Heavily recommend you tell your players / dms not to purchase animation packs on the market place. There seems to be a severe lack of communication on exactly what the problem is or if this was just a massive failing of not actually testing this feature before release to see if it was even possible. Maybe it was a combination of the both, but regardless, warn your friends. Aye you're right there: once bitten and so on. The real issue I have isn't that I can't have the pretty pictures that move. It isn't even that after half a year, Roll20 is still selling what amounts to a faulty product. The problem I have is that their solution is seemingly to put their fingers in their ears and pretend that nothing is wrong until people forget about both the product itself and the money they spent on it.
Hi everyone, First off, thank you to everyone still keeping an eye on this thread and asking questions. As it stands, I do not think we communicated clearly enough how integrated systems like Advanced Fog of War, Dynamic Lighting, and animations are to one another. Previously, we had to make some hefty changes to lighting systems accommodate for animations and how they render. However, due to the feedback we received regarding Advanced Fog of War and our updates in that area we had to go back to the drawing board. With the upcoming changes we have a complete refactor to how Advanced Fog of War and Dynamic Lighting communicate and function-- we are swapping both completely to WebGL. Because of this change, we have not been able to fully return to animations, but it is something we are keeping an eye on; at this time however, priority has been given to the Advanced Fog of War and Dynamic Lighting overhaul. I hope this helps to explain the current situation a little better. I know it is not the ideal situation for this feature at the moment but we will be returning to it once we have the resources to do so :)
@Drespar So lets be clear on this. The issue at hand is more or less why is Roll20 selling a product that you know without a doubt isn't working or won't be working into the foreseeable future. When is Roll20 going to warn people about this and remove these products from the market place?

Edited 1575922206
Richard Jokes said: @Drespar So lets be clear on this. The issue at hand is more or less why is Roll20 selling a product that you know without a doubt isn't working or won't be working into the foreseeable future. When is Roll20 going to warn people about this and remove these products from the market place? Support this opinion. Selling things that just don't work and not going to fix it in near future is questionable. I purchased weather FX half a year ago and it is still unusable (and it works in other VTTs).
Hi again folks, To speak a bit more to this-- Typically for animations, the issue is the limit of browser technology and trying to do more than their system is capable of handling. Roll20 provides a ton of features without limitations, but the downside to a sandbox is potential performance problems. The goal of the Advanced Fog of War and Dynamic Lighting refactor is optimized system performance and efficiency. At the same time, we're working on platform improvements to use less data for the same functionality. When these are released, users should notice an improvement in overall system performance that helps enhance our other features, such as animations. In the meantime, we have a great wiki article that covers optimizing your own game's performance, which may help improve animations as a result.&nbsp;That guide can be seen here: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Optimizing_Roll20_Performance" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Optimizing_Roll20_Performance</a>

Edited 1577735687
David
Sheet Author
I have uploaded several small animated gifs which converted to .webm successfully and are appearing on the map.&nbsp; But on the Art&nbsp;Library&nbsp;tab the preview is broken and they cannot be dragged onto the map either. Is this a known issue and is there a workaround? I just found the workaround up thread but this is still an issue going back 6 months.