Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

[Script, Update] MotD: Message of the Day taken from a handout and shown to players when they log in.

Edited 1561518294
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
MotD Update v0.2.11 &nbsp;-- Fixed inline rolls with &lt; and &gt; in them (HTML Entitles were breaking on sendChat). (Thanks&nbsp; Erich S. ) Update v0.2.10 &nbsp;-- Completely re-wrote the formatting of handout output to be clearer, add the image in the handout, and show the GM Notes to GMs that log in. !motd now takes arguments that allow it to present the Message of the Day to various people: !motd --all | --PLAYER NAME ... --all : Show to all logged in players --PLAYER NAME : show to the player with the matching name or name fragment Omitting an argument will show you the Message of the Day.&nbsp; Link at the bottom brings up the Message of the Day handout.&nbsp; Links in the MotD text are now blue, instead of default black.&nbsp; Image for the Handout is shown.&nbsp; (Thanks&nbsp; Wolf Thunderspirit ) Update v0.2.7 &nbsp;-- Fixed typo crash. (Thanks&nbsp; bgb ) Update v0.2.6&nbsp; -- Changed to tracking the last login time of players and only issuing the Message of the Day when it has been as least 6 hours since they were last seen.&nbsp; Also fixes the outstanding issue of the first player to login not getting the message.&nbsp; (Thanks&nbsp; Sarah C. ) MotD is a simple script that&nbsp;creates a handout named "MotD Note". When a player logs in, it whispers the contents of that note to the player. Any formatting that works in the Note is passed on to the player. You can use %%NAME%% as a placeholder for the name of the player. Git:&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Mo" rel="nofollow">https://github.com/shdwjk/Roll20API/blob/master/Mo</a>... Previous discussion:&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6192238/script-update-motd-message-of-the-day-sent-to-players-when-they-log-in-based-on-the-contents-of-a-note" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/post/6192238/script-update-motd-message-of-the-day-sent-to-players-when-they-log-in-based-on-the-contents-of-a-note</a> Support my work on If you use my scripts, want to contribute, and have the spare bucks to do so , go right ahead. However, please don't feel like you must contribute just to use them! I'd much rather have happy Roll20 users armed with my scripts than people not using them out of some sense of shame. Use them and be happy, completely guilt-free! Disclaimer: This Patreon campaign is not affiliated with Roll20; as such, contributions are voluntary and Roll20 cannot provide support or refunds for contributions.

Edited 1556250376
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
What a show off! Honestly, that looks fantastic.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Yeah, it's long overdue. =D
Any idea when this magic will hit the script library? :)
GiGs
Pro
Sheet Author
API Scripter
My guess would be around Tuesday, I think that's when updates go live.
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Yup, around Tuesday.

Edited 1556302734
Awesome job Aaron! So the image in the handout will now be shown with the MotD?&nbsp; Awesomesauce!&nbsp; That means I no longer have to do the image tag within the body of the handout! Old Way: [Friendly Fire Logo]( <a href="https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/67083787/mStdAzWr4Gzw1nF5jK3oAQ/med.jpg" rel="nofollow">https://s3.amazonaws.com/files.d20.io/images/67083787/mStdAzWr4Gzw1nF5jK3oAQ/med.jpg</a> )
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Totally.&nbsp;

Edited 1556781765
My Update Loving the easy to add image! Loving the new format - looks amazing!&nbsp; Only critique on format: a single line between the Player Box and GM Notes (creating distinct boxes) would be cool, but not completely necessary. Loving being able to send it to all, or an individual player, and call it for review. Questioning the viability of the Link to-Sheet factor.&nbsp; I like it in some cases, not so much in others.&nbsp; Think it would be better as a text value in the same way as %%NAME%%, perhaps as %%LINK_TO_JOURNAL%%, so that it isn't part of the format. Checked access levels.&nbsp; Players can call !motd with all it's subcommands.&nbsp; This could get very tricksy with some ornery players.&nbsp; Of course, the GM has a ban-hammer for that reason.&nbsp; We've probably all threatened that ban-hammer to those who draw - typically those 'berried eggplants' - unnecessarily on the table.&nbsp; (Give a kid a crayon .... eeeeesh ....)&nbsp; But it's just something to note, if they use MotD in their own game/ have ever come across it, they may understand it's commands, and they could spam a player they don't think highly of, or get angered by, and the GM wouldn't notice.&nbsp; Likewise - even in benign situations - all the players sending the Message of the Day to the player who forgot something during the game may insult the player who forgot.&nbsp; It may be prudent that the ability to send to a player is reserved as a GM function.&nbsp; Self (!motd) or all (!motd --all) should be ok - because they are only hitting themselves or everyone (not avoiding the gm's notice) if they feel like spamming. Sometimes I have someone in the group write the recaps.&nbsp; I do so by giving them full access to the MotD note.&nbsp; But it's great to see that the players can neither see, nor edit, the GM Notes section!&nbsp; That part should have been expected to function that way, but it's great to see it actually does! Overall - so glad for these updates Aaron!&nbsp; Really nice!&nbsp; Thank you!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Good catch on the all players using the sending functionality. I'll add a check in that command.&nbsp; With the link to journal part, are you talking about the link at the bottom, or links in the handout content? With the imbedded content, I don't really have any control (other than fixing the format.).&nbsp;
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Update v0.2.11 &nbsp;-- Fixed inline rolls with &lt; and &gt; in them (HTML Entitles were breaking on sendChat). (Thanks&nbsp; Erich S. )

Edited 1562595737
DXWarlock
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Love it, but confused a bit on it's login on when to show it again. Nevermind...it has a cooldown variable&nbsp; :)
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
=D. You can also use the !motd command to redisplay it.&nbsp;
The Aaron said: Good catch on the all players using the sending functionality. I'll add a check in that command.&nbsp; With the link to journal part, are you talking about the link at the bottom, or links in the handout content? With the imbedded content, I don't really have any control (other than fixing the format.).&nbsp; The link that was put at the bottom to the MotD handout.&nbsp; In my game, that's hidden from player view in their journal, and they can spawn the chat message themselves, and preferably only to themselves.&nbsp; I have a separate file that I collect all the recaps in, a campaign diary , and I link to that instead. What I was suggesting is that people could opt in on the link, if they wanted to, by adding %%LINK_TO_JOURNAL%%, and get the "See MotD Note handout" link, whereas without it, no one would see that.