Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Given up on aligning a map - does Dynamic Light / Fog / everything else work with grid disabled?

So I have been trying in one sense, for years to get maps aligned properly. I've followed all the guides, I've done everything but I just can't get them to align. It's Pathfinder maps, and it aligns in one part, but is out of alignment in the other and I cannot, just cannot, do it. As the maps all have grids on them, I wanted to check - can I use all the features of a subscriber (fog / light / movement restrictions, etc) with the overlay grid disabled? Because if so, then I just won't bother aligning, and will just make the tokens scaled to the map and trace in all the boundaries for the functions. Is this feasible? Cheers!
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
Definitely!  None of those features rely on the grid. This is a common problem with prebuilt maps that were made for print—the artists draw the lines close, but scanning them doesn't result in precisely the right scale. Some artists are worse than others.  There are two common options in this case: 1) Create the grid and get it "close," then set the color to transparent. This works best if the drawn grid is close and the annoyance is just in the disparate lines of the Roll20 grid.  2) No grid at all. This is actually how my groups prefer it. You'll still want to scale the map so the measure tool is accurate. Everything else just works as expected. 
I've been using gridless things for a while now and my group also prefers it. The freedom from 5 ft is quite freeing. Only issues I've had with gridless is that auras don't show up, but everything else works in my experience. 
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
The auras bug is fixed now, I believe. 
Rather amusingly, as I sat last night after making this post and stared at the maps, I realised what the problem was. Because the maps don't end on full squares on the width and length, i.e, those wee quarter squares, I cropped them to end as full squares so the measuring tool works properly and bing, aligned! Yay! Subbed to Plus as well, so hopefully once I beat my group together and get them to sort out character sheets, I can have another blast at GM'ing PF on here. Cheers!