Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Massive lags in Firefinger page of Tomb of Annihilation module

Edited 1560793822
Grone
Plus
Hi there, Last session my group got to Firefinger in the Tomb of Annihilation module. The page itself is fairly simple and I have made no modifications to it. However, all players and the GM had massive lags and had to carry out the first part of Firefinger on a basic battlemat page since it was impossible to play. Since I paid full price for the module I'm hoping to pick up next session on the actual page itself - and I'm also afraid we will be hit by similar massive lagging on other ToA-pages in the future which are much more complex. I've tested the page on my gaming desktop PC to make sure it's not a problem with computing power, and it isn't - the page lags there as well. The lag seems to be related to the player tokens. If I don't touch those and just move around monster tokens, it works fine. There's nothing special about the player tokens, however, and they've worked fine on every other page. It also doesn't matter what player token - any custom created token that I move onto the map will make it lag. Please assisst :)
have you tested playing with/without the advanced fog of war? Sometimes that still messes with my group. 
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
If you want to keep advanced fog of war, try turning off global illumination, and make sure that no NPCs have sight, or FoW reveal distances.

Edited 1560805117
Grone
Plus
Turning off Global Illumination kiiiindda works (makes it playable, at least) - thanks a lot Keith! What does that setting even do? However playing without Advanced Fog of War as a whole is a no-go, it's literally the reason we're subscribed to Roll20 (we play table P&P face2face, but use Roll20 for battle mats and dungeon exploration and so have no use for it if the AFoW doesn't work). I checked and it doesn't seem like NPCs have sight - but if NPCs having sight is a problem for the software, I hope the developers won't put it in their own product :)
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Global Illumination just means that light sources don't matter. Everything is illuminated. If there are no obstructions, you can see forever. As for AFoW, I don't use it, but I find Dynamic Lighting very useful. If I need to preserve where the players have been, I use Light Crumbs .