Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Permanently reveal explored areas?

I need help. So, I'm working with Dynamic Lighting and Fog of War for the first time. I'm setting up an overworld map for the players to explore in. It's a frontier, so the idea is the map is completely black, and I want to let the players "chart" out the world as they discover it. The only problem is that with Advanced Fog of War, it still limits the player's visibility of tokens on the map once it moves outside their view distance, which is a problem because I want players to still know what the locations they visited were. Basically, all I'm trying to do is use Fog of War rules according to how it works without Advanced or Dynamic settings, but just let the players unveil the fog of war as they explore rather than doing it all manually. How do I achieve this?

Edited 1565848301
Pat S.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
There is an api script that drops torches every so many steps or ft. It is called breadcrumbing or torch or something. This script was written before the AFoW was creating and it was designed to mimic what people wanted which retaining a lighted area.
Put the city token on the map layer
I’m pretty sure Layer Up will fix this problem. The issue is that any token placed on the map layer loses its name bar. And unless you put the city token in the map layer, the players cannot see it. The quick fix is like rainbow said. Put the city token on the map layer and let the players ask the name of the city until layer up comes out.
Mik Holmes
Pro
Marketplace Creator
For tokens on that page, can you increase their view distance to something excessively large?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Keep your settings as they are and continue to use AFoW. As they explore a city, given that it is a token, assign control of that token to All Players, and give it Sight and 5 feet of Light. They should continue to be able to see the token and its immediate environs after they have left the area. I do not know if this will cause performance issues as the number of cities increases to a lot. If there are a lot of tokens in a general area, you can reduce the overhead by removing the individual sight and light as described above, and illuminating the area with an appropriately set  Light Crumb .
Sadly, I discovered is that my Hexographer map turned grey when fog of war is in the darkness, blending water tiles grass tiles and all other tiles into one color. So, it was too confusing to use without some kind of light source for the players to work with. I wasn't a fan of the dim appearance of the map anyway. Sadly, these were fine suggestions but none of them quite worked out. You can't illuminate the map with light sources because it will extend what the players can see as well, regardless if it's within the fog of war.  Thank you all for your suggestions. The solution I went with last session was to use individual hexes to cover the map, and delete them as they players explored. I had a copy of the map on hand in case I needed to look at the path they were on. It's working well so far, so I think that'll do for now.
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
That sounds like Advanced Fog of War. It is intentional for the map to turn grayscale when out of immediate sight. I thought you were not using AFoW?