Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Dynamic Lighting and Drawn Shapes?

I'm pretty sure that this is the right place to put this, but I'm not confident so feel free to correct me. I'm currently in the process of making sure that all of the DL settings work properly for my DotMM campaign (and just learned that DL settings on a pog will reset if you delete it and create a new pog from a character sheet...interesting), and I realized that objects that are drawn on the map don't show because of the DL that's being used (I'm also using Advanced Fog of War if that's helpful as well). See below: The image on the left is what I see, and the one on the right is what I can emulate players seeing with Ctrl-L. The players drew those objects to remind them of a special item in that area. Is there any way to set it so that the objects like that will still show on the map regardless when using Dynamic Lighting?
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Ctrl L is useful for line of sight. It will still show you things only a GM can see (such as the GM layer). For maximum veractiy, log in as a player, or log in under a dummy account that is set to be a player.

Edited 1566321703
keithcurtis said: Ctrl L is useful for line of sight. It will still show you things only a GM can see (such as the GM layer). For maximum veractiy, log in as a player, or log in under a dummy account that is set to be a player. I joined as a player and got the same result: I'm basically looking for if it's possible to have my players see the drawn "M" with arrows clearly without it being cut off like that due to the walls for the Dynamic Lighting (like how I see it on the left side of my first screenshot).
Scott C.
Forum Champion
Sheet Author
API Scripter
Compendium Curator
It is not possible to do that. For your problem with the do settings, make sure you've set the token as the character's default AFTER you've fully set up the token. See the wiki for more info .
Scott C. said: It is not possible to do that. For your problem with the do settings, make sure you've set the token as the character's default AFTER you've fully set up the token. See the wiki for more info . Aaahh, okay. Well, damn. It was worth reaching out to ask. For a little while I was wondering if it might work by changing the drawn objects to be on "top" of everything but I guess that wouldn't do it either. Thanks a bunch to both of you!
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
I don't remember if the drawings can be treated as a token (and can't log in at the moment to check).&nbsp; If they can be, you could convert the drawing to be controlled by everyone and give it a small radius of sight and light sort of like the Light Crumb trick.&nbsp;&nbsp; <a href="https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/7539533/" rel="nofollow">https://app.roll20.net/forum/permalink/7539533/</a>
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
What I was going to suggest is similar.&nbsp; You can create a set of tokens for markers.&nbsp; Set them to Have Sight, but don't give them any light.&nbsp; Optionally make them a drawing so they don't snap to the grid.&nbsp; Assign them to a Marker character which everyone can control.&nbsp; Players can then drag them out of the Journal to mark things (you can give them several different ones to choose from).&nbsp; Since they are controlled by all players and they have sight, they will be displayed above the Dynamic Lighting layer, but won't reveal anything (provided there is no light there.)

Edited 1566325949
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
Hah! I thought the purple arrows were there to show me which object you were talking about. I didn't get that you wanted to see them too. Scott's answer is correct. Edit : And Aaron's solution is excellent.

Edited 1566397190
Wow! Thanks for the responses and the help. I will definitely look into doing what I can to create a kind of token bookmark library for my players so that they can leave reminders behind based on things that they find and/or places they want to remember to go back to. A quick question about the pog's DL problem. I followed the instructions in the linked wiki page, but the pog that loads from dragging the name &nbsp;of the Journal entry (above) is considerably smaller for some reason and doesn't snap to the grid size like when you drag the avatar onto the map (below). Is there a setting I'm missing that fixes that? Note: Dragging the avatar creates a blank copy of the pog with no settings attached--only dragging the name of the journal entry keeps everything I set up for it. The only reason the avatar pog in this example has DL settings is because it's what I set up and used for the wiki instructions
keithcurtis
Forum Champion
Marketplace Creator
API Scripter
You likely set up your token on a page with a different map scale. I avoid messing with the scale for this and other reasons, unless absolutely necessary. Dragging from the name is the proper way to do it. Dragging from the left hand side is intended to be used to change the order of items in journals. I'm not sure what you're describing, but it might help to review&nbsp; Linking Tokens to Journals &nbsp;(there is a video linked at the end if you prefer to learn that way).
Gen Kitty
Forum Champion
Moonshaft said: Wow! Thanks for the responses and the help. I will definitely look into doing what I can to create a kind of token bookmark library for my players so that they can leave reminders behind based on things that they find and/or places they want to remember to go back to. Players can also type notes directly onto the map, if that sort of thing suits you :)
Gen Kitty said: Moonshaft said: Wow! Thanks for the responses and the help. I will definitely look into doing what I can to create a kind of token bookmark library for my players so that they can leave reminders behind based on things that they find and/or places they want to remember to go back to. Players can also type notes directly onto the map, if that sort of thing suits you :) I noticed that! I'm going to have to play around with the typed notes and see if I can get them to show up through the fog--otherwise I might go over for that over the icons since my map is pretty dark and the Advanced Fog of War grays everything out pretty comfortably. keithcurtis said: You likely set up your token on a page with a different map scale. I avoid messing with the scale for this and other reasons, unless absolutely necessary. Dragging from the name is the proper way to do it. Dragging from the left hand side is intended to be used to change the order of items in journals. I'm not sure what you're describing, but it might help to review&nbsp; Linking Tokens to Journals &nbsp;(there is a video linked at the end if you prefer to learn that way). Yeah...the whole time we've just been opening up the Journal and dragging the picture off of the 'avatar' section instead of dragging the literal name of the journal entry instead. That definitely helps clarify the proper way to do it. While I changed the image for my background map I didn't actually change any of the table size settings or dimensions/scale. I tested the pog on other maps that came with the module that have been unedited and the small generation like in my previous post happens there as well. A little more investigation showed that every time the token is placed it's sizing itself as 18x18 instead of 35x35 (which is the scale of all the map grids). I can't seem to get it to save the dimensions as I want so that it stops loading in so small. I think to combat it though I'm just going to make copies of the tokens and pre-place them on the other maps that they'll be traveling to so that there won't be an issue in having to make sure it's all the right size.

Edited 1566417000
Kraynic
Pro
Sheet Author
A while back there was a bug thread about the scaling issue.&nbsp; If I recall correctly, the workaround was to set up and link all your tokens on a map with the normal grid scale (70x70).&nbsp; Those will scale to whatever they are dropped on, but ones made on a smaller grid won't scale with grid size that they get dropped on.&nbsp; Something to keep in mind in the future. I expect this is what keithcurtis is referring to as well, since I think he was involved in that thread.