Roll20 uses cookies to improve your experience on our site. Cookies enable you to enjoy certain features, social sharing functionality, and tailor message and display ads to your interests on our site and others. They also help us understand how our site is being used. By continuing to use our site, you consent to our use of cookies. Update your cookie preferences .
Create a free account

Is there a script that keeps tokens from being place on top of each other?

Spren
Sheet Author
Searched a bit and I see some token collision with walls but nothing that just keeps tokens from being placed on top of one another. Anyone know if this exists or is possible?

Edited 1567255695
The Aaron
Roll20 Production Team
API Scripter
It would be possible (and pretty easy). How would you see that working?  Just graphics that represent characters and are not "drawings"?  And would you want them offset to the nearest square or reset to their source location?  Biggest problem will be not moving them through a DL line. Could just send a notice to the controlling player(s) and have them move it. Or apply a tint to all the overlapped tokens and possible an aura.  

Edited 1567262783
Spren
Sheet Author
Originally I imagined any token on the object layer regardless if it's a drawing or not would just not be able to overlap. I was going to use this for a puzzle, so the only objects on the layer would be the players and the puzzle pieces. But as I think about it, maybe it'd be better to flag a token as "solid" and prevent movement. So you could place a boulder on the tabletop, flag it as "unpassable" and there you go, players are forced to move around it. Ideally it'd just block you from moving into the squares the token occupies (like dynamic lighting), but offset to the nearest square or something like that works just as well. I can see how that could cause the issue of moving through a DL line, I don't think that would matter in my case, but I get how that could be awkward if others wanted to use it. The collison detection script that I mentioned has a few options to choose from: <a href="https://wiki.roll20.net/Script:Collision_Detection" rel="nofollow">https://wiki.roll20.net/Script:Collision_Detection</a>. It's exactly what I'm looking for but it's only for paths you set up, I was hoping a sister script existed but for tokens.